• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

READY? I think SO!! Good Wear update!

tater

Vcruiser said:
Perhaps I'm missing something in your post...but the B-6 is a trim fitting tailored type jacket..probably more than any other military shearling.
Van

I know nothing about their fit, frankly. So even if they are more snug than others, in RL they would have been only issued in even, regular sizes, correct? So a guy with a 39" chest who is 5' 11 gets the same 40R as a guy with a 40" chest and is 5' 6", right?

Not like custom-built jackets where JC makes 50 40Rs in some time span, and no two of the same jacket are the same size.

That's gotta increase workload vs 1 pattern for each even chest size.

If that makes any sense.

dujardin

Roughwear said:
I had a feeling John would venture into sheepskin. These two jackets are superb. So what next -a B-3 or Irvin?

noooooooooooooooo
in gentleman, John will start a splendid M-445 :lol: :lol: :lol:

asiamiles

tater said:
If that makes any sense.

Not really. You're saying that John should not offer any custom sizing and just do regular sizes in 2 inch increments? If that's what you want then various companies such as ELC, Buzz Rickson's etc fit your bill.

johnwayne

[the Beatles catalog arrived on iTunes; and John Chapman put up pics of his new shearling line!!]

Surely any Beatles fan has them already? And yes, JC seems to have excelled himself, again!!!
Personally I've never been into shearlings but I think I might be now - damn you JC!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Wayne

Mundele

johnwayne said:
[the Beatles catalog arrived on iTunes; and John Chapman put up pics of his new shearling line!!]

Surely any Beatles fan has them already?

Better to buy the remastered box set rather than nasty downloads!

tater

asiamiles said:
tater said:
If that makes any sense.

Not really. You're saying that John should not offer any custom sizing and just do regular sizes in 2 inch increments? If that's what you want then various companies such as ELC, Buzz Rickson's etc fit your bill.

That doesn't mean his workmanship, or attention to the original designs isn't better, or are you saying the only advantage of GW is custom sizing? I started reading because I was shopping for the best repro, and my "take away" from that research was that from the standpoint of workmanship and attention to original designs, John was the current man to beat.

I'm only talking about custom sizing vs what the quartermaster would have handed you in 1943. Custom sizing may well be the best business model since those of us with a grand to throw at a jacket are likely closer to my age (45) than a 20 YO airman, and are likely to be less fit than that 20 YO. I see the point in it, I'm just asking if it's far more work for him.

TankBuster

tater said:
asiamiles said:
tater said:
If that makes any sense.

That doesn't mean his workmanship, or attention to the original designs isn't better, or are you saying the only advantage of GW is custom sizing? I started reading because I was shopping for the best repro, and my "take away" from that research was that from the standpoint of workmanship and attention to original designs, John was the current man to beat.

I'm only talking about custom sizing vs what the quartermaster would have handed you in 1943. Custom sizing may well be the best business model since those of us with a grand to throw at a jacket are likely closer to my age (45) than a 20 YO airman, and are likely to be less fit than that 20 YO. I see the point in it, I'm just asking if it's far more work for him.

Custom fitting is a great thing when ordering jackets, but yes, I'm sure it entails more work for John. I'm sure it also increases sales by offering custom sizing. Thus the waiting time.
Off the rack sizing "so to speak" would not be the best way to do business when you are selling jackets for 4 figures.

SuinBruin

My understanding of John's customization is that he will use generic chest sizes but will vary the length of the body and sleeves to suit the customer. Thus, while I take a modern 40L jacket, the two Broncos John made for me are both 44s with the length tweaked to fit my torso and arms. This allows some degree of customization while allowing John to remain true to the original patterns and not have the burden of full-blown bespoke tailoring.

cheers,
matt

asiamiles

The extra work on his part is surely worth it on both his and the customer's part. While you point to workmanship and attention to detail being superior to that of other companies, it may be true, but the customer does not get to see the jacket beforehand so is only really going on word-of-mouth in that respect. In many ways, going with an established company like ELC seems a safer bet. But being able to get advice on which model will suit the customer's frame and then being able to tweak it is a big plus when it comes to ordering online. To suggest he shouldn't be offering it seems like a recipe for disaster.

tater

asiamiles said:
The extra work on his part is surely worth it on both his and the customer's part. While you point to workmanship and attention to detail being superior to that of other companies, it may be true, but the customer does not get to see the jacket beforehand so is only really going on word-of-mouth in that respect. In many ways, going with an established company like ELC seems a safer bet. But being able to get advice on which model will suit the customer's frame and then being able to tweak it is a big plus when it comes to ordering online. To suggest he shouldn't be offering it seems like a recipe for disaster.

You misunderstand, I never said that he shouldn't offer custom work. My question (not really knowing about the B-6 fit, and besides thinking of "real" fit where you got what you got (so any "tailored" looking fits in the 40s were basically just dumb luck)), that he might be able to make standard sizes in some patterns that would just "work" for enough customers to make it worthwhile. I completely understand small business making things as that's what I used to do (much of it custom work).

So again, not knowing about B-6 fit, and assuming it might be less "tailored" (apparently I was wrong) I was wondering aloud if such a pattern (perhaps there IS a more forgiving design out there that you guys know about) might result in a jacket type that he could make to high historical accuracy with less time cost to him.

Cobblers161

One of the reasons Johns 'custom' sized jackets still stay true to originals is that even within the same sizing of the same contract there were variations. A result no doubt of mass production by hand and the speed with which it was done. Not every size 44 RW1401-P had a pit to pit measurement of say 23.
When JC does this he still remains within the boundaries of a correct contract shape, too much customising would render it an incorrect shape.
I would imagine that to somee extent this may have extended to shearling also.

A D-1 by the way will be a more forgiving fit and a damn cool jacket to boot.

MikeyB-17

Oh heck, he's not threatening to do a D-1 is he? Good news 'cos it'll be cracking, bad news because I'll want one!

handworn

Though the period photos I've seen (I'm thinking particularly in Maguire's book on USAAF flying gear) show some men wearing loose-looking ones, as though they'd asked for one size larger than would be strictly trim-fitting.

Vcruiser said:
Perhaps I'm missing something in your post...but the B-6 is a trim fitting tailored type jacket..probably more than any other military shearling.
Van

airfrogusmc

dujardin said:
Roughwear said:
I had a feeling John would venture into sheepskin. These two jackets are superb. So what next -a B-3 or Irvin?

noooooooooooooooo
in gentleman, John will start a splendid M-445 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh man I will be pull'n the wallet out for one of those if indeed he goes in that direction.

MikeyB-17

Cobblers161 said:
There's a link on page one of this thread Mikey check it out, it's flippin' lovely.

Thank you old fruit-oh stone the crows I'm in trouble now. A D-1 is top of the list for me, now I have to get one of these. Will have to sell a kidney or something.

Vcruiser

handworn said:
Though the period photos I've seen (I'm thinking particularly in Maguire's book on USAAF flying gear) show some men wearing loose-looking ones, as though they'd asked for one size larger than would be strictly trim-fitting.

Vcruiser said:
Van

All I'm saying is...they are a more trimmer stylish pattern than other shearling jackets.
Also when I was in the military what size I asked the supply Sarg for..and what he tossed to me could be two different things entirely. Either due to lack of concern on his part...wartime limitations..or both. :mrgreen:
Van