• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rare one from the 20's

dujardin

i discover this splendid jacket on snyderstreasurs.com
civilian or military issued jacket ???
not really USAAF, but could be associate to the USAAC.
with a splendid back painted.

LocklearCoatOAF.jpg

LocklearCoatOAR.jpg

pitty she's too expensive for me

byeeeeeeeee marcel

Curahee

That's one weird jacket :shock: looks a little like the Frankenstein under the flightjackets....love the artwork though :D

Roughwear

Marcel, this jacket most likely dates from the late 20s or 1930s and appears to be made of veg tanned hh. I love the picture of the barnstormer on the back- at least it looks as if the aviator is riding on the top wing of a bi-plane.

Andrew

I'm not at all convinced that is real. Really- more like a literal modern take on the era. You know, someone finds an old leather coat and thinks " this looks like a barnstormers coat, i'll paint something appropriate on the back" :lol:

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though!

Chandler

The way the inner fleece stops 2/3s down the lining reminds me of a similar coat I inherited from my grandfather.

His coat is much darker in color and is a button front, double breasted with a waist belt. Same slash pockets and collar, though - and probably from the '30s as RW mentions.

Why so certain on the veg-tanning RW? Or do you mean aniline finish on top of veg tan because of the wear? I've seen many veg-tanned jackets with spray finish (my ELC 1401, for one) that haven't worn like this example.

Chandler

dujardin

this is the description of this jacket by the seller.
sorry for the delay, i had some troubles with my connection this time.

This is a very rare item from the estate of Ormer Locklear, the acknowledge "father" of the daredevil wingwalker stunt men of the early 20th century.

This is a very high quality fleece lined mid-thigh flight coat featuring period artwork of Ormer Locklear atop of the upper wing of a Curtiss JN-4 biplane.

He served two years in the US Army Air Service Signal Corps during WWI, and became a professional stunt pilot and barnstormer after he was discharged in 1919. He was very highly paid and perfected a number of very complex stunts in and on top of his aircraft, including transferring from one plane to another in flight. You can read some of his history here. He was killed in an aerial stunt (piloting) while filming a movie at night. He was apparently blinded by the strong lights and crashed in 1920.

This is a close-up of the artwork. The coat measures 20 across the chest (about a size 40), 18 inches across the shoulders and 18 inches on the inseam of the arm.

The condition is near excellent, excepting some routine wear on the leather and some slight crazing of the paint from age.

This is a very scarce item of apparel, worn when he was making public appearances on the ground. His in-flight jacket was much closer fitting.

byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

SuinBruin

Snyder's Treasures does not have a particularly good reputation based on what I've seen on the militaria forums. Caveat emptor.

Roughwear

IMO this jacket is later than 1920 and may have been painted in tribute to Ormer Locklear. The construction of the back and the zip suggest a later date than 1920.

Baron Kurtz

caveat emptor indeed.

Mark me into the not convinced (highly skeptical) brigade. The grommet-less zipper is a big negative for me re: the 20s or 30s dating. In fact this jacket has none of the accepted features of the early leather sports wear.

As for the hide - ignoring for now my opinion that it's practically impossible to ID hide from photographs - this hide looks awfully like California Sportswear washable goatskin from the middle 40s and later.

I'd be guessing a 50s or later jacket, and even later paintwork. A poor sham.

bk

handworn

I've collected quite a few clothing & department-store catalogs of the early and middle parts of the 20th century, and all the leather jackets in my copies before 1930 or so have buttons, not zippers. Based on that, on the half-belt stubs on each side and on the design of the back, my guess would be that this is 1940s, and the painting later.