• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"RARE and SPECTACULAR WWII RAF Irvin jacket large"

Roughwear

At first glance this jacket appears to be what the seller describes it as "100% original". If you look a little closer it is more likely a restored mid War Irvin. The cuffs display no wear, yet there is wear to the top of the windflap and surface wear to the leather. They do not have the curly finish apparent on the hem and the exposed edges are white suggesting resecent replacements, professionally done. The leather pulls on the lightning zips appear to be freshly cut from leather yet are described as original. The two halves of the belt do not match suggesting that the strap side is a replacement from another jacket. Opinions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-and-SPECTACULA ... 35a53d0911

Andrew

I can see that selling for a good sum. Being critical I guess you could perceive those things but to my far less trained eyes I reckon it looks pretty good and just not worn out like most.

Mick Prodger's the seller. Interesting that he only mentions about labels falling off when in his book he suggests they were removed on pupose.

havocpaul

I certainly had some doubts when I first saw it this morning; I wasn't aware it was Mick Prodger but I have thought his knowledge isn't as detailed as he/others makes out...writing books doesn't always make one an expert!

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
I certainly had some doubts when I first saw it this morning; I wasn't aware it was Mick Prodger but I have thought his knowledge isn't as detailed as he/others makes out...writing books doesn't always make one an expert!

Absolutely Paul. I believe he knows more about flying helmets rather than Irvins. His small section on Irvins in his book is all too brief.

I still believe the jacket has been restored, not necessarily by Prodger and he may be unaware of this.

TankBuster

I think this one looks good, but Irvins are not my specialty. I agree with Andrew, it looks like a nice Irvin with not much wear. Should fetch some good money.

Roughwear

I have looked at the cuffs on my 10 original Irvins, many of which are in as good or better condition than this one and on all of them the exposed edge of the sheepskin has darkened.This is caused by exposure to the light coupled with opening and closing the zip. Moreover the seam tape from the zip is always incorporated in the turn back on the cuff, but this is not the case with this one indicating replaced cuffs.

rich

The lack of wear to the does cuffs seems inconsistent. Perhaps the sleeves have been shortened by turning back 'new' cuffs. In which case the zips have been nipped, or nudged up a bit...... but I'm only guessing. If it is a restoration job it's been nicely done. But Andrew will let us know, once he's bought it............... ;)

Roughwear

rich said:
The lack of wear to the does cuffs seems inconsistent. Perhaps the sleeves have been shortened by turning back 'new' cuffs. In which case the zips have been nipped, or nudged up a bit...... but I'm only guessing. If it is a restoration job it's been nicely done. But Andrew will let us know, once he's bought it............... ;)

Rich, I am definitely NOT going to buy this jacket. I have several from the same date which are better. I suspect this one will go for an inflated price. I would not have flagged it up here were I intending to buy it! :)

Roughwear

Sold for an OTT price of $1831. Hope the buyer is not disappointed to discover he has bought what appears to be a restored Irvin rather than the 100% original as described by the seller. :roll:

ausreenactor

One person thought it worth over the sale price, one under bidder pushed him to that..

Takes two to make an OTT sale... Good for the seller. Pictures were there..and seven days to ask all the questions in the
world. Cha-CHING!!!

Couchy

rich

I'm surprised it went for this much. Maybe if it had provenance or had been a pre-war Irvin with label. Maybe somebody's
in for a splendid Christmas present.

Roughwear

rich said:
I'm surprised it went for this much. Maybe if it had provenance or had been a pre-war Irvin with label. Maybe somebody's
in for a splendid Christmas present.

Or a shock if they discover its not quite what it seems! ;)