• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Random Cool Photo Thread

JonnyCrow

A railroad box car full of German helmets . At todays prices about $500.00 to $900.00 each think about what that one box car is worth in todays figures. Back when that photo was taken …. You probably couldn’t give them away.
Burt have you ever seen a photo of said German helmets stacked as hardcore for a new road?

Micawber

A railroad box car full of German helmets . At todays prices about $500.00 to $900.00 each think about what that one box car is worth in todays figures. Back when that photo was taken …. You probably couldn’t give them away.

Seeing them drilled and hung on chains to act as outside flower baskets was not an uncommon sight when I was a kid. The subliminal moral message was lost on me back then but I understand now though.

Micawber

Talking of helmets [I used to collect same and still do on occasions] an often overlooked aspect of life on the Home Front in the United Kingdom during the Second World War was the vast civil defence network. Photographs taken in the aftermath of Axis bombings or V weapon strikes, downed aircraft - you name it will usually include personnel wearing "battle bowlers", the various incarnations of which are a subject which has gained attention of collectors and researchers in the past two or three decades or so and as a result values have risen markedly - rightly so IMHO - I remember when British Home Front helmets could not be given away.

So, when you next look at a photo taken during the London Blitz [and as rightly pointed out in a thread elsewhere on VLJ this week London was far from the only place hit by repeated bombing] this period chart of London helmet markings may cast some light on some of the roles the of various people shown.

london-civil-degence-helmets-chart_orig.jpg

JonnyCrow

Talking of helmets [I used to collect same and still do on occasions] an often overlooked aspect of life on the Home Front in the United Kingdom during the Second World War was the vast civil defence network. Photographs taken in the aftermath of Axis bombings or V weapon strikes, downed aircraft - you name it will usually include personnel wearing "battle bowlers", the various incarnations of which are a subject which has gained attention of collectors and researchers in the past two or three decades or so and as a result values have risen markedly - rightly so IMHO - I remember when British Home Front helmets could not be given away.

So, when you next look at a photo taken during the London Blitz [and as rightly pointed out in a thread elsewhere on VLJ this week London was far from the only place hit by repeated bombing] this period chart of London helmet markings may cast some light on some of the roles the of various people shown.

View attachment 97255
Too right Steve, when I grew up, some old streets in Hull, even in the seventies were ' bombed out ' we used to play war wearing old home front Tommy helmets because they were everywhere, although people would scream at playing war and throwing half bricks at each other until you get help, Tom or Harry has split his head open haha those were the days eh :)