• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rakuten - Don't bother

I thought I'd got a good deal on B15C from Rakuten Japan , but by the time the store had added on their tax and additional delivery charges, the UK customs added a hefty charge pus VAT , it has turned out to be the most expensive jacket in my collection.
Still nice Jacket though :)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
johnny english said:
... it has turned out to be the most expensive jacket in my collection.

Hopefully it's just a temporary situation with the high JPY. Buzz prices at ELC will also have to increase if they replace stock at curent exchange rates.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
johnny english said:
... it has turned out to be the most expensive jacket in my collection.

Hopefully it's just a temporary situation with the high JPY. Buzz prices at ELC will also have to increase if they replace stock at curent exchange rates.
The Yen is up 30 % on the pound so don't wait around too long.

Curahee

I'll be visiting Japan this summer, can't wait to vist the all the "Holy places" and crap me one those jackets :D

rich

Hopefully it's just a temporary situation with the high JPY. Buzz prices at ELC will also have to increase if they replace stock at curent exchange rates.[/quote]

David, do you know how frequently ELC replenish their BR stuff? Is it a random event, or are there particular calendar days I
should look out for? I bought an L-2B from them just before Christmas, but I don't think it's going to stop at that .........
I seem to remember reading that BR deliberately drip fed exports to keep consumer demand high?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
rich said:
David, do you know how frequently ELC replenish their BR stuff? Is it a random event, or are there particular calendar days I should look out for? I bought an L-2B from them just before Christmas, but I don't think it's going to stop at that .........
I seem to remember reading that BR deliberately drip fed exports to keep consumer demand high?

Rich, I don't know, but I imagine that the purchasing would be infrequent. ELC, AND HPA would select the styles, then order the sizes, and quantities they wished to carry for the next season.

I don't believe that BR has any 'ploy' with exports ... many of the lines are produced in limited quantities, and would just sell out.

A

Anonymous

I've spoken to Gary about this a few months ago before getting my B-15C as I really wanted a B-15A. He said that it was an almost annual event and that he didn't order more than one or two of any garment because the demand for them was so small.

He also said that he can't buy to order nor can he guarantee what types of jackets he gets offered.

It's not ideal and I'm sure he'd rather that things didn't work like that.

Please don't shoot the messenger !

Dave :ugeek:

John Lever

tcwu said:
You should check the HPA first! Now it's too late! :oops:
At least HPA will lower the value for you and post it as a gift!
The Hinoya on Rakuten charged me tax/shipping also 3% Paypal fees!
(also the strong Yen)
But something I don't quite understand is that I never pay any tax on any thing from Japan!
(WEP*3, L-2, B-15C, B-10, MA-1, B-2)

The Gift issue is irrelevant as far as tax is concerned. Gift or not, above a certain value tax will be levied. Both my jackets from HPA were ' gifts ' it made no difference I still paid £400 tax.

A

Anonymous

I learned a long time ago that it is better to pay someone like Aero to import the LVC (for example) and although I pay more than the overseas list price (which is still only what I would end up paying to import it myself), if it don't fit I can return it and I don't wait long to receive it or to return it for a refund as we are on the same island.

John Lever

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I learned a long time ago that it is better to pay someone like Aero to import the LVC (for example) and although I pay more than the overseas list price (which is still only what I would end up paying to import it myself), if it don't fit I can return it and I don't wait long to receive it or to return it for a refund as we are on the same island.

Aero made these jackets for Levis a few years ago. Can they get them for customers ?

A

Anonymous

Which jacket John ? I was referring to jeans as in 501XX 1933's etc.

Jacket wise to buy from ELC rather than import from Japan. It's too risky unless you really know what you want and what size.

I'm sure we've all been caught by import tax in the UK at some stage.

John Lever

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Which jacket John ? I was referring to jeans as in 501XX 1933's etc.

Jacket wise to buy from ELC rather than import from Japan. It's too risky unless you really know what you want and what size.

I'm sure we've all been caught by import tax in the UK at some stage.

They made some Blue/black distressed jackets during Ken's time at Aero, they were like a 30's bike jacket.

rich

Rich, I don't know, but I imagine that the purchasing would be infrequent. ELC, AND HPA would select the styles, then order the sizes, and quantities they wished to carry for the next season.

I don't believe that BR has any 'ploy' with exports ... many of the lines are produced in limited quantities, and would just sell out.[/quote]

Thanks David - whatever they're doing, they seem to be making a very good job of it!
(Having only recently seen The War Lover, :oops: I am now nonplussed by their choice of name because Steve McQueen is such a thoroughbred effer in that movie)

rich

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I've spoken to Gary about this a few months ago before getting my B-15C as I really wanted a B-15A. He said that it was an almost annual event and that he didn't order more than one or two of any garment because the demand for them was so small.

He also said that he can't buy to order nor can he guarantee what types of jackets he gets offered.

It's not ideal and I'm sure he'd rather that things didn't work like that.

Please don't shoot the messenger !

Thanks Dave - I want the B-15C mod but it looks like I'm in for a long wait .......... even Hinoya have sold out of this one :cry:

I spoke to Gary at ELC before buying my B15 and he told me they weren't getting any more stock untill the Autumn and that there would probably be a 30% price increase

rich

johnny english said:
I spoke to Gary at ELC before buying my B15 and he told me they weren't getting any more stock untill the Autumn and that there would probably be a 30% price increase

Oh crap.............. :cry:

Cobblers161

Rich, try a search on www.rakuten.co.jp , find the store with the right size and use a proxy ie. zipangutreasures. You pay a 10% commission and no import duty and he is an excellent proxy. There are some larger size B-15C mods still around as I was looking only yesterday for one in blue.

rich

Cobblers161 said:
Rich, try a search on http://www.rakuten.co.jp , find the store with the right size and use a proxy ie. zipangutreasures. You pay a 10% commission and no import duty and he is an excellent proxy. There are some larger size B-15C mods still around as I was looking only yesterday for one in blue.

Many thanks for this info, I'll give it a go...... :D

Just sent the form for a quote, thanks again!

newenglandcliff

John Lever said:
Aero made these (LVC) jackets for Levis a few years ago. Can they get them for customers ?

AFAIK, the only one they have left is this one:

Ladies 1930's slim-fit Half Belt size small
Blue Buffalohide
Black Rayon lining
1950's vintage Talon zippers
Excellent condition
Proto-types for the 2003 LVC contract

I bought the only medium they had for my girlfriend. She loves it. Sleeves are pretty long on these. Great price. It's in the sale section.