• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAF Irvin

havocpaul

Avoid! Their early jackets from the 1970/80's were ok but now they trade on the Irvin name and their jackets don't live up to it. Too many people believe they are buying the genuine article but there are better repros out there including Eastman of course.

rich

Agree with Paul - they have the copyright to use the name, but they are not the most authentic jackets available - bad zips, wrong sleeve shape etc. The ones I have seen look very well made though, if these kinds of details don't bother you. Consensus on the forum as I understand it is that there is no definite repro Irvin out there, and Eastman's are still the best currently available, with their older jackets being most highly regarded.
Watch out for how short these jackers are in the body ;)

jonnyboy

John - I'm working on it!

I just got my industrial sewing machine back from being fixed, so am busily practising sewing seam tapes on the sheepskin. My pattern (made from a de-constructed original) is mostly done. When I'm up to speed with the machine, I'll have something to show quite soon.

If it all works out, I'm hoping that I'll be able to make jackets to order, further down the line.

Cheers,

Jon

Ian C

Thanks all,

It's just backed up my suspicions so I'm glad I asked. Would have been nice to have an original as my Nan used to work in the Irvin factory in Letchworth during the war. Any other good makers out there?-I know I'll end up with the Eastman but for the amount of wear it will get I'm prepared to compromise. I used to have a B3 and it was rarely cold enough to wear it :lol:
I would love an original but at 6ft 3in and 44-46in chest depending on pie consumption I guess it's going to cost.

Ian

jonnyboy

John - not sure the maker of the pattern jacket, as it doesn't have a label. Maybe, when my test jacket is complete, Andrew S will be able to say which original manufacturer it most resembles.

I'll keep you posted on the progress!

Cheers,

Jon

Andrew

I'm looking for ward to the results Jon, if you can improve on and address the shortcomings of ELC's and the right materials i'll have one (and I have an original main zip to use as well). I can just imagine these as something akin to JC's work, a sensitive repro that is conscious of the original item that inspired it.

jonnyboy

Thanks for the encouragement Andrew!

It's been two years since I started this project. Sourcing the materials took a lot of that time, as I wanted to get each element right, and authentic. I'm really pleased with sheepskin - as the main part of the jacket, it has to be good. I've had zips made (based on Lightning zips) which are good, but ultimately, this is the main area to keep improving on.

Sourcing and buying the machines I need took some time too. The twin-needle machine promptly broke, and it took me a long time to find someone who knows how to fix sewing machines. It would have been easy if I still lived in the UK, but I now live in rural France, where sewing machine technicians are thin on the ground! I have now found one though, so it's all systems go!

I'm hoping to have something to show within the next few weeks, so watch this space!

Cheers,

Jon

Marv

I have an Aviation Leathercraft Irvin and whilst not authentic, it is very well made with good quality materials and extremely warm.

However it is very bulky and for the price you could get ELC Irvin for around the same amount or even and original if you can find one to that fits.

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Here's a photo showing a piece of my sheepskin overlaying part of an original jacket. It has some of my seam tape experiments on it (very rough - still getting the hang of adjusting the tension on the thread. The final tapes will be cut more neatly too, and won't be quite as wide!).

P1030004-1.jpg

Cheers,

Jon

A

Anonymous

Yes really great and admirable work.
I find this jacket and the G-1 very difficult to make. (I mean to make properly).