• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question - The most practical flying jacket?

MikeyB-17

Mat Larsen swedish army coat, only problem it might be too warm m1909 it's sometimes called, got it for £2 from a charity shop, and eveybody i worked with wore it, but too tight in the shoulders for me to actually work in. Possibly the most indestructable jacket i have ever seen, which is why i didn't mind workmates borrowing it.
Blimey, those things weigh a ton! You did well to get one for two quid. Wouldn't have said they were terribly practical though, OK for the Arctic winter but not for more temperate climes.

Ed Rooney

Interesting thread, especially as I have been pondering this question myself. Having done some flying in Army helicopters, I’ve worn both CWUs, both CVC tankers, both off the parkas with the fur hood (short and long), the MA-1, and a Navy G-1. I’ve come up with a list of features that I would want to see in a flight jacket.

Water resistance - Jacket should be able to handle a drizzle or flurries out on the ramp. Any more and I will grab a rain shell. Nomex is terrible for this.

Pockets - I don’t care how un-military it looks, hand warmer pockets are a necessity out on the ramp. I prefer the MA-1 style slash pockets. The CWU pockets are all wrong. Sleeve pocket and an internal G-1 style pocket would be nice.

Collar - a fur collar is nice, except in the rain, when it smells like a wet dog. My preference is a collar that can be turned up or down, and zipped all the way to the chin, kind of like a soft shell jacket.

Fit - current slim-fit styles notwithstanding, it should be loose enough to add an insulating layer underneath, and trim enough to add a rain shell on top. Back should not ride up while seated.

My favorite was probably the MA1, followed by the tanker jacket. I could see the B-15 being a really good choice, but once that cotton soaks up some fuel or hydraulic fluid, it’s done.

busdrivermike

Most practical flying jacket ? Fantastic question that I have engaged
In many times over the years, my vote would be for for an anj-3 style
With modern conveniences like a zip in liner and removable collar with top
Entry pockets, hand pockets and maybe an interior pocket, that I might add
To this schott for cell phones or plane tickets ect...
based on my lifestyle living in Canada riding motorcycles
I love the added movement that style allows and Removable liner / collar
Is great for Canadian seasons. That’s why I love this schott or similar versions
As they also allow for my heated motorcycle gear.
I think price is also a huge consideration, I got this for$200 so I was not
Concerned with adding snaps to the hand pockets or epaulet embellishments or
If it gets scarred up from riding or yard chores
I’m not a pilot but I was accused of flying low to the ground a couple times by the
Police so my opinion is not based on flying.

Last edited:

Officer Dibley

Are we talking about the best existing flight jacket or what we as individuals would put together to nake our ideal flying jacket ? I’m confused :eek:

Regardless, i’ll stick with my A-2 thanks :)

Nickb123

My vote's for the L-2 or L-2A. Can only speak for Buzz repros. A plane will get equally hot as cold in the sun. The L-series jackets are light enough to do well.

London Cabbie

Either my Wested Goatskin Raiders jacket, loads of useful pockets and sits perfectly in the Cab at work, or my Barbour Beadale. I have yet to find something it doesn’t look good with. You could wear it to Buckingham Palace or in the woods.
However for ‘vintage style’ nothing beats my Platon A2 or ELC G1...

Ed Rooney

I think the trick to selecting a flight jacket is to imagine you are going on a long car drive across several states. It will be cold, windy, and it will probably rain a little. There is only enough room in the trunk for a small gym bag. You have no cup holders. The heater in your car only blows hot air from the vent next to your right foot. One of your windows doesn’t quite close all the way. You are required to write down some information every few minutes. About every 2 hours, you will be required to stop and top off your fuel, check your oil and tire pressure. It’s a 500-yard walk from your car to the cashier, and you can’t pay at the pump.

Now look in your closet and pick a jacket.

Officer Dibley

Probably both.

Depends on your understanding if the English language..... there is a world of difference between
The most practical flying jacket and
The most practical jacket for flying ......
And are you piloting a Wright Flyer or a Spitfire or F-35....?
Or are you sitting in economy on a 737......?

You know the definition of assume , right ?

Bremspropeller

Interesting thread, especially as I have been pondering this question myself. Having done some flying in Army helicopters, I’ve worn both CWUs, both CVC tankers, both off the parkas with the fur hood (short and long), the MA-1, and a Navy G-1. I’ve come up with a list of features that I would want to see in a flight jacket.

Water resistance - Jacket should be able to handle a drizzle or flurries out on the ramp. Any more and I will grab a rain shell. Nomex is terrible for this.

Pockets - I don’t care how un-military it looks, hand warmer pockets are a necessity out on the ramp. I prefer the MA-1 style slash pockets. The CWU pockets are all wrong. Sleeve pocket and an internal G-1 style pocket would be nice.

Collar - a fur collar is nice, except in the rain, when it smells like a wet dog. My preference is a collar that can be turned up or down, and zipped all the way to the chin, kind of like a soft shell jacket.

Fit - current slim-fit styles notwithstanding, it should be loose enough to add an insulating layer underneath, and trim enough to add a rain shell on top. Back should not ride up while seated.

My favorite was probably the MA1, followed by the tanker jacket. I could see the B-15 being a really good choice, but once that cotton soaks up some fuel or hydraulic fluid, it’s done.

Hi, first post of a long time reader here. Salute everyone!

What you're probably looking for (if leather is okay for you) is the former german issued goat-leather flying jacket, produced by Beckumer Leder - it's the original vendor and they still produce these jackets.
The originaly issued jackets neither featured handwarmers, nor slit inside pockets, but if you order them today, those civvie-options are available.
They're good and robust jackets and all three service-branches of the Bundeswehr used those jackets for flight-crew for about 50 years, before going to plastic jackets.

One way of procuring them is here, but you could also go directly to the vendor.

Pilot

Hi, first post of a long time reader here. Salute everyone!

What you're probably looking for (if leather is okay for you) is the former german issued goat-leather flying jacket, produced by Beckumer Leder - it's the original vendor and they still produce these jackets.
The originaly issued jackets neither featured handwarmers, nor slit inside pockets, but if you order them today, those civvie-options are available.
They're good and robust jackets and all three service-branches of the Bundeswehr used those jackets for flight-crew for about 50 years, before going to plastic jackets.

One way of procuring them is here, but you could also go directly to the vendor.
Greetings, welcome here...
but sorry if I disagree, b/c I received one issued to me via Airbus Aerospace.
Ugly as can be, the knits are heavy and stiff.
The emergency liner makes you sweat and drip in minutes, the pigeon sh*t color scuffs immediately and dies not get „ patina „ at all...
BTW Crapola bay.de is full of surplus „ originals for 1/3 of this dealers prices...
No more for me... by experience...
BTW ... we have a members bio page for introducing yourself, prior trying selling or promoting something...

Last edited:

Pilot

Here is mine... posted a bit about it already...
Gave it to charity sales since I did not like it at all
B64A31B4-4A99-43DC-9DCF-FF39250A54EC.jpeg
( kept the Tudor;) )