• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the leather experts

Enigma1938

Hey folks,
I wonder if there's a way to remove the vinyl coating from coated leather without totally damaging it. Maybe some chemicals?
I have a jacket made from that stuff and even it's nice and the color is beautiful I am just annoyed from that plastic / rubber feeling, and the fact that this kind of leather will never develop a "patina".

Thank you

Silver Surfer

try rubbing alcohol on an area that is not seen. extra fine steel wool, may work, also. those poly-vinyl [and other crap] tend to make hides squeaky, and look like new, and or wet. drives me nutz when I come across an otherwise nice jacket that has a crap coating.

Micawber

Without having and playing about with it in hand the only way you will really find out is to experiment on a hidden area with a range of solvents. Start off with the mild isopropyl alcohol up in stages to serious strength stuff that requires hand protection and a very well ventilated area.

Pa12

I remember getting a leather jacket with that coating for Christmas when I was 16. One walk in the rain and it started peeling like sunburn. My mum sent it back;)

Southoftheborder

Is this like the coating that G&B used and maybe still does on its 'Heritage' A2s? That shiny finish makes for a jacket that won't show wear but it looks so fake. I bought one many years ago and I tried everything to take the coating off but nothing really worked. I started with washing and rubbing hard with conditioner and other gentle methods before resorting to Acetone and even 1000 grade wet and dry. But hours of elbow grease later the coating was still there and it only dulled down a bit.

It was a pity because they were really solid and well made jackets if stupidly oversized.

Chandler

Is this like the coating that G&B used and maybe still does on its 'Heritage' A2s? That shiny finish makes for a jacket that won't show wear but it looks so fake. I bought one many years ago and I tried everything to take the coating off but nothing really worked. I started with washing and rubbing hard with conditioner and other gentle methods before resorting to Acetone and even 1000 grade wet and dry. But hours of elbow grease later the coating was still there and it only dulled down a bit.

It was a pity because they were really solid and well made jackets if stupidly oversized.
I had a Flight Suits horse A-2 with the same finish and you're right, it was bullet proof. I have a newer G&B goat A-2, but the finish isn't the same.

I had heard that impermeable finish was a mistake and they stopped using it when they saw it wasn't right. My horse was purchased from the FS sale page where they were open about the heavy finish -- little did I really know.

Domi88

Yes I had the same problem and with mild alcohol it works very well on leather because it's not too powerful