• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about ordering jackets from The FEW

CBI

Can people in the US order jackets directly from The FEW in Japan or are their sales limited to in country Japan? If one orders from them, does the order need to go through RMNZ?

Curious, thanks -

John Lever

CBI said:
Can people in the US order jackets directly from The FEW in Japan or are their sales limited to in country Japan? If one orders from them, does the order need to go through RMNZ?

Curious, thanks -
Interesting timing. I have been in discussion with Paddy about this misconception. As we all know the RMNZ website is very basic and almost useless. I suggested a revamp, the answer was ' it isn't worth it because it generates no sales ' !
The Few website is not very good either when compared to ELC, Aero and GW. Prices are in Yen, and information is minimal. I am not even sure if there is a How to order button. This has also been part of my discussion with Paddy, it looks like it is for Japanese customers or at least does not favour US or other ones. Again Paddy pointed out that they don't get many sales outside Japan. Is there a pattern here ?

To explain. The Few is a brand label, it does not have it's own factory. The RM are not allowed to use their name in Japan because it is owned by RMJ.
So if you want to order something from The Few, contact Paddy tell her what you want and she will advise on availability. It seems most production is geared towards Japanese trade orders,there is not usually any stock and at this time of year and choice of materials can be limited.
Steve and Brian have also ordered recently so may be able to add or correct me. Bevan would be the expert to give the full picture.

What do you plant to order ?

CBI

Thanks John - Actually, no plans really but I enjoy looking at their site but it occurred to me that one really couldn't seem to order anything and then I thought about how few US collectors (so its seems) own these jackets. I know The FEW is geared totally for the Japanese market.

It sounds like the best case if someone wanted to order something from them would be a bit messy. A long way from "Buy It Now"

sg1011

John Lever said:
CBI said:

Curious, thanks -
Interesting timing. I have been in discussion with Paddy about this misconception. As we all know the RMNZ website is very basic and almost useless. I suggested a revamp, the answer was ' it isn't worth it because it generates no sales ' !
The Few website is not very good either when compared to ELC, Aero and GW. Prices are in Yen, and information is minimal. I am not even sure if there is a How to order button. This has also been part of my discussion with Paddy, it looks like it is for Japanese customers or at least does not favour US or other ones. Again Paddy pointed out that they don't get many sales outside Japan. Is there a pattern here ?

To explain. The Few is a brand label, it does not have it's own factory. The RM are not allowed to use their name in Japan because it is owned by RMJ.
So if you want to order something from The Few, contact Paddy tell her what you want and she will advise on availability. It seems most production is geared towards Japanese trade orders,there is not usually any stock and at this time of year and choice of materials can be limited.
Steve and Brian have also ordered recently so may be able to add or correct me. Bevan would be the expert to give the full picture.

John is correct with his info. I also spoke to Paddy about this and she said the same things in regards to updating the website or setting up distribution outside of that market. It's hard to argue when someone tells you that they can count on both hands how many people, outside of the Japanese market, order a jacket from them even with fingers missing! They don't see any indication of interest here in the U.S. I can see why they wouldn't want to spend the time and money to "reach out." RMNZ jackets are very expensive when you compare them to Eastman for example. Are their B-3's worth $300-$400 more than Eastman or Aeros B-3? In my opinion, yes. They have this quality to them that I can only describe as being military grade. It feels like it was made to survive. All I can say is that you have to see one in person to understand how special RMNZ/The Few jackets are.

I just took delivery of their B-2 jacket and am speechless. Johns' review is what really got me interested in that jacket. I kept looking at pictures and was convinced that it was a great jacket, but it really does look better in person.

With regards to ordering a jacket from The Few, my experience was very positive. Paddy has excellent customer service and she really does care about her customers. She had a new ANJ-4 on sale that I was really looking to buy. She kept trying to talk me out of it because she had concerns with the sleeve length. We must have exchanged 20 emails regarding that and various other jackets. Then she mentioned that she had a size 46 B-2 in stock and based on my measurements and the measurements of that style of jacket, it would be a good fit. Sure enough, it fits perfectly. The B-2 had sleeves that were about an inch shorter than the ANJ and the B-2 sleeve length is the maximum sleeve length for my arms. I can't praise her customer service enough.

Pictures of the B-2 (although not as good as Johns) coming soon.

saucerfiend

sg1011 said:
John Lever said:
CBI said:

Curious, thanks -

John is correct with his info. I also spoke to Paddy about this and she said the same things in regards to updating the website or setting up distribution outside of that market. It's hard to argue when someone tells you that they can count on both hands how many people, outside of the Japanese market, order a jacket from them even with fingers missing! They don't see any indication of interest here in the U.S. I can see why they wouldn't want to spend the time and money to "reach out." RMNZ jackets are very expensive when you compare them to Eastman for example. Are their B-3's worth $300-$400 more than Eastman or Aeros B-3? In my opinion, yes. They have this quality to them that I can only describe as being military grade. It feels like it was made to survive. All I can say is that you have to see one in person to understand how special RMNZ/The Few jackets are.

I just took delivery of their B-2 jacket and am speechless. Johns' review is what really got me interested in that jacket. I kept looking at pictures and was convinced that it was a great jacket, but it really does look better in person.

With regards to ordering a jacket from The Few, my experience was very positive. Paddy has excellent customer service and she really does care about her customers. She had a new ANJ-4 on sale that I was really looking to buy. She kept trying to talk me out of it because she had concerns with the sleeve length. We must have exchanged 20 emails regarding that and various other jackets. Then she mentioned that she had a size 46 B-2 in stock and based on my measurements and the measurements of that style of jacket, it would be a good fit. Sure enough, it fits perfectly. The B-2 had sleeves that were about an inch shorter than the ANJ and the B-2 sleeve length is the maximum sleeve length for my arms. I can't praise her customer service enough.

Pictures of the B-2 (although not as good as Johns) coming soon.

The B-2 that you just purchased was actually made for me. Yes, the quality in the leather{graining}, and the plushness of the Mouton were all ordered by me. Unfortunately, it was much too long in the body as it fell about 4-4 1/2" below the belt. The replacement I recieved is not as grainy and the fur is not as plush. But, the fit is perfect! So, I'm very satisfied. I will also do a review later this weekend, with plenty of pics.

Brian

omarco

whilst not necessarily as straight forward as a buy it now, chatting an order over with Paddy as been exceptionally useful both times I'v ordered, often she has deals to be done too. it's a similar process to getting an order going with Goodwear.. It's helpful to get advise before you hit the button! And of course the product is fantastic.

sg1011

Brian,

Paddy did tell me that it was a return because it was too long. I was initially told that it was an Italian cowhide, but she made a mistake as it's horse hide. The new ones are being made from cow hide from an Italian tannery. I'm glad I bought this jacket. It will be good for a wide range of temperatures.