• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Private Purchase "A-2" 20th AF - 20+ missions

CBI

Private purchase “A-2” of Lt. E. E. “Easy” Barber, B-29 Pilot - 20th AF -20+ missions. Part of the local air museum archives. I was hoping to restore this to wearable condition (not that it would be worn) but on closer inspection, some of the leather is pretty brittle. “Mauchie” name (wife Nick-name) and mission bombs. The tag says its HH but I can't get that in the pics. There is lots of providence on this but I don't have it in front of me. I think some Picards would help the leather and probably that’s all.

Anyway, some pics..... What do you think? Picards or nothing? Any other ideas. Oh yes, a new WIDE hangar is in order! Its not part of my personal collection however I will be getting things from the museum from time to time. Its basically a huge collection of aviator memorabilia groupings from military aviators from pre-WW2 through Vietnam. All with Arkansas/Eastern Oklahoma connections - a few aces, MOH winner, etc. The displays are at the local airport. LOADS of other memorabilia in storage. More where this came from!!!!

IMG_8446.jpg

IMG_8447.jpg

IMG_8448.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

IMG_8451.jpg

IMG_8452.jpg

IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8460.jpg

IMG_8461.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

IMG_8464.jpg

IMG_8456.jpg

Dr H

Looks like capeskin rather than HH based on the grain John - what's the weight like?

Roughwear

Thanks for sharing thee pics John. The hh private purchase A2 has much character. Have you bought the A2 from the museum?

CBI

No, its not mine, I just offered to clean it up a little. It HH for sure, says so on the label (but it doesn't show up on the label pics.

CBI

well OK................talking to the family helps!!!! Had some incorrect info and got out the magnifier!

He was a transport pilot and those mission makings below the name are actually highlights of the words "HUMP TRIPS" There should be a number/the number of hump trips painted right above but that might have faded.

The reason I posted beside so you could all have a look and to decided if its worth Picarding it or not - carefully of course. I think the leather needs it and would make the paint pop.

Doing this as a favor for the museum - that's all.

There are 3 or 4 other A-2's they own, will get pics when I can.....

dmar836

John,
It looks like some moisturizing would certainly help.
As an aside, I have often wondered, on such faded artwork, if a clear acrylic would not help "pop" the artwork a bit. I am never a fan of a paint-over restoration of original art but a light acrylic coating might help the remaining color to be more visible if applied ONLY to the painted parts. This might also help protect the artwork from the moisturizing - Pecards or otherwise.
Ideas?
Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
.... okay, I'm going to be in a minority of one here, but you have a nice old faded jacket, does the artwork really need to pop? I just don't think that anything should be applied that isn't reversible, not Pecards, and certainly not clear acylic.

Dr H

I'm with David on this one - if you apply acrylic then it'll practically outlast the jacket leather and it will discolour/yellow over time.
Even Jeff will bear me out on this one :lol:
There's a wealth of conservator literature out there as museums are preserving/stabilising leather and painted surfaces all the time. Generally non intervention preferred unless absolutely necessary to prevent deterioration.
If it's necessary (and you'll be removing patina...i.e. Dirt) then gentle cleaning (lint free cloth/cotton swab and mild solvent - non polar hydrocarbon - to clean the leather in small quantities) might be the starting point for the paintwork. I stress though you might end up with a clearer paint job on a newer looking jacket...
Personally, I'd tread very carefully there...

RCSignals

I wouldn't put acrylic on the paintwork. Doesn't Pecards though have a product for leather that is meant for or used by museums in conservation? If so that is the one I would use.

dmar836

My thought process was along the lines of what RC said about Pecards. I agree that most conservationists would now say don't do anything to leather objects to preserve them. But we do. We apply all sorts of elixirs in hopes of returning HH to that perfect look or feel, to restore the color, feel, texture or grain. Not that we should but it isn't a shunned topic here at all. I have to openly wonder if there is an equivalent, maybe even the same (as RC eluded to), that would enhance or roll back the years of fading to the paint that we often justify for the leather portions of our jackets. Truly there were so many paints used that no one formula could exist without risk but it is certainly a reasonable and hopeful thought that such a concoction exists...... at least to me.
Dave

johnwayne

Still nice now but bet it was really nice in its time! Interestingly ribbed waist knits!!
Yep, I agree, best left alone unless any such treatment is needed to preserve it.

cheers
Wayne

Rutger

Will it deteriorate if nothing is done?

Can the looks of the jacket be restored to a certain extend to bring out the painting a bit more without jeopardizing or altering the jacket itself or its appearance other than it would have looked as if having been well taken care of previously?
If pecards does that job, I guess there would be nothing wrong with that. If it creates an unnatural look that would be something else. I do suppose it would be possible to treat a quarter of a square inch to see if it dissolves the paint.

Old paintings are often restored or cleaned to bring back original luster.
Maybe someone at VLJ might be a professional at doing the same with old leather jackets. Maybe someone at VLJ is, and has already commented at this particular subject though. Surely someone in the US will know a thing or two about stuff like this, maybe a large museum.

CBI

Light coat of Picards - note much cleaner lettering and the mountains! jacket brittle, stitching very weak. Jacket "stored in the attic for years" ............ argh!

Pics about 8 hours after the treatment, jacket still drying but had to run - work and returning jacket to musuem

IMG_8475.jpg

IMG_8474.jpg

IMG_8473.jpg

IMG_8472.jpg

IMG_8470.jpg

IMG_8469.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

IMG_8465.jpg

CBI

Got a PM from John Chapman with him pretty certain this is a refurbished Cable Raincoat contract that was refurbished hence the new civi label. He suggested doing a little more investigative work but the jacket is already returned. Thanks John!

Andrew

Pecards John, Pecards ;)

There's something about an untouched jacket even if it's just dry, like a time capsule and it's lost once treated. However I think it's probably fine if it just goes to this point as it seems to relax the leather. Also guilty as charged but my views are becoming more conservative. Hopefully they won't store these on hangers but on display torsos.

CBI

Peeeeeeeeeeeecards!

Oh, my leather balm is from Star Fleet which is why it worked so well :shock:

The jacket had not fully dried by this time, its looks a heck of a lot better than before and once it soaks in, will look more like it did. I think this will add some years to it. I gave them a super wide coat hanger!

Roughwear

The Pecards has certainly improved the jacket and it is much easier now to see that it may not be a private purchase A2. John Chapman is spot one here. The Conmar zipper, long rectangular box stitching on the epaulets and rounded pocket bottoms indicate a Cable Raincoat jacket to me.