• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PRE-WAR WAREINGS IRVIN

Roughwear

I received this Irvin earlier in the week and have restored it. It is most likely a size 5, although pre-war jackets were not sized in this way. The fleece is supple and strong and has benefitted from one light coat of Pecards. I have replaced the post war Lightning main zip with the correct single trunnion brass DOT. The later collar buckle has been replaced with the correct rings. The elastic strap has been mended and is now secured properly. The sleeve zips are the rare un-marked DOT variety which were only used in the 1930s. Wareings had one pre-War contract, 22534/35/C.I, which was awarded in 1935 and was continued until 1939. They retained the first five letters and added the date and the last one I have seen from this contract has a 39 instead of the 35. The jacket has the wide belt loops and fine linked chain, which was typical of Irvins by this maker. Here are a few pictures taken earlier today.

011-40.jpg

013-47.jpg

014-37.jpg

018-34.jpg

006-43.jpg

007-42.jpg

008-45.jpg

009-48.jpg

010-48.jpg

016-36.jpg

019-24.jpg

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Andrew,
Do you sew by hand ?

I use a machine and 1940s thread for most of the work. I usually hand sew the base of a the zip as the brass zip attachments are not easy to do on with a machine.

John Lever

Good idea to do your own stuff if you are able to. Some of the wait time is so long that a whole season can go by before the jacket is retuned.
BTW I recently found a tool that can be used to fit eyelets and snaps. I was surprised to find out that Prym are still available.

Andrew,

I just began this collection of WW11 flight jacket addiction just over four months ago. I have two B-3s and two B-7 pants and two Irvins. One is a conventional four panel 1941-2 version made by Links pretty good condition. The other is a transitional jacket six panel made by Links with a shaggy fleece. The latter I bought from you just before Christmas. While it is still in transit, I am excited to have two already.

It seems that most people prefer Pecards for treating the outside. My question is, how do you clean the inside? One of the B-3s has a black sooty residue on it and has a faint scent of petroleum.

Secondly, do use a special sewing machine and needle for your restoration work?

Regards,

Mark

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum Mark. I'm sure the Irvin will be with you soon. I have never cleaned the inside fleece of an Irvin with anything other than a damp cloth. I would not recommend dry cleaning. Some people on this forum use industrial sewing machines to make/restore jackets, but a craft machine with special leather needles should tackle most jobs.

Roughwear

Andrew said:
Andrew what did you use to colour the surface?

I didn't colour the surface. A light coat of Pecards had been freshly applied when I photographed it and of course Pecards initially darkens leather a little.