• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-War Perry A-2 worth a look...

This is what I really enjoy about this forum. Someone with limited knowledge (like me!) can throw something up into the wind and down comes a cloudburst of stored up information which would take forever to glean from a reference book. If you save one poor soul from an expensive mistake you've done a service to many more.
Regards,
Joe

Cobblers161

His information or aleast his grasp on the details is at least suspect. But it is a Perry minus label and full of holes although otherwise the condition looks quite nice.

In the more experienced member opinions is it worth a punt or would one avoid at all costs?

Roughwear

No. It's back on again. My guess is that the seller used one of his alternative identities to bid it up, but no one else bid higher so he came unstuck! He is not an easy guy to deal with. I emailed him regarding the date of the jacket, pointing out it was a 1942 contract and got this reply:"the zipper and the leather and the buttons are prewar as well as the jacket too". :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orig-Perry-A2-A-2 ... 0353763661

Roughwear

There is strong bidding on this one with, mainly from a well known Japanese colector/dealer and and a guy with a feedback score of four are competing for it. I wonder whether this guy comes from Germany? Currenly going for $810 and still over 6 days to go!

Dr H

Funnily enough, despite raising the thread for just such a jacket, I dropped out a little while ago... :roll:

Shallower, more patched pockets than these big dogs (in Neh's parlance) who are clearly determined :x

Oh well...wait on...

On the other hand, can anybody please tell me why this is making this kind of bidding (as in my naivety I simply can't understand it)?

In my opinion the Perry is a really nice pattern, hence my wish to buy one of each, but there are clearly more desirable patterns out there for the majority. It apparently has a nice well-patinated shell, but is badly holed, unless the buyer is determined to restore it with an 8 ball patch and name tag. It is missing its label and size tag which, unless the buyer has already repatriated one will either need a repro label or the purchase of a knackered sacrifical Perry (unless the buyer has one in reserve). The knits are not orginal, the Conmar looks relatively weak and anaemic and the lining has been incorrectly replaced without removing/replacing the hanger. If this is going to a big Japanese collector presumably all this work will need to be done to make it a good prospect, rather than remain as a good wearer.

Please put me straight, what am I missing here :?:

Roughwear

Dr H said:
Funnily enough, despite raising the thread for just such a jacket, I dropped out a little while ago... :roll:

Shallower, more patched pockets than these big dogs (in Neh's parlance) who are clearly determined :x

Oh well...wait on...

On the other hand, can anybody please tell me why this is making this kind of bidding (as in my naivety I simply can't understand it)?

In my opinion the Perry is a really nice pattern, hence my wish to buy one of each, but there are clearly more desirable patterns out there for the majority. It apparently has a nice well-patinated shell, but is badly holed, unless the buyer is determined to restore it with an 8 ball patch and name tag. It is missing its label and size tag which, unless the buyer has already repatriated one will either need a repro label or the purchase of a knackered sacrifical Perry (unless the buyer has one in reserve). The knits are not orginal, the Conmar looks relatively weak and anaemic and the lining has been incorrectly replaced without removing/replacing the hanger. If this is going to a big Japanese collector presumably all this work will need to be done to make it a good prospect, rather than remain as a good wearer.

Please put me straight, what am I missing here :?:

Ian, I would ignore most of what the seller has to say about this Perry as he knows little about A2s as his speciality is faking Luftwaffe jackets. It would appear to be a size 42 at the most. It has been conditioned recently. It is already going for almost what it sold for first time round.The zipper looks ok. It may well not be from the 8 bells squadron as this seller is good at making holes in jackets, imprinting eagle outlines on old bike jackets. I suspect the seller is using one of his other identities to bid up the jacket forcing a high profile Japanese collector to go higher!

Dr H

Thanks for the info Andrew, Neh had hinted at the vendor's rep., but I wasn't aware of the track record with 'added provenance' ;) nor the bidding up with multiple identities :eek: Previously, I'd have thought that EBay could have weeded this sort of thing out (unless one was being really devious), these days I'm just not surprised by EBay's conduct :( . In the academic world, as you'll know, authors may cite their own work to inflate their citations (but self-citations can be set aside when counting the figures).

Although this Perry might have suited me (where the replaced lining, knits etc. would have been fine for daily wear) I find it odd that an experienced Japanese collector would want to bid it up so - when there are far better A2s around (Neh's patched HH Perry would have been a better bet IMHO).

I received some good advice from an experienced collector to let it go and this serves to underline that, thank you.

So...still looking for a HH Perry A2...etc., etc. :roll: