• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PRE WAR IRVIN

Roughwear

I have been on the look out for a really decent, wearable pre-War Irvin for sometime now. At long last I have managed to acquire one that is 100% original, with no issues whatsoever that is a good fit as well! This one has been stored since the War. It was made by Irvin Air Chute and exhibits all their customary high quality workmanship. The fleece is the sought-after close pile variety and the skin side has wonderful red tones where the darker surface has worn off. I particularly like the contrasting lighter brown seam tapes and belt. The zips are still painted black and are the un-marked DOT variety that were generally only used on pre-War contracts. The stopper box is stamped "Dot British" rather than the more common "Dot made in England". The hanging chain is in pristine condition and it was a nice bonus to find the original elastic strap in place behind the collar. The jacket dates from the years 1938-9 and is one of the best preserved jackets from this time that I have seen.

021-32.jpg

026-29.jpg

002-68.jpg

003-70.jpg

011-66.jpg

015-66.jpg

004-57.jpg

006-68.jpg

008-70.jpg

009-73.jpg

010-70.jpg

013-67.jpg

012-71.jpg

007-66.jpg

017-50.jpg

014-64.jpg

jonnyboy

Congratulations Andrew - what a lovely jacket!

It looks to be in great shape, but also has lots of character. Nice grain. Do you suppose that the leather seam tapes would have been a closer colour match originally?

I'm working on my first test jacket at the moment. A copy of a 1943 Irvin, but with the two panel front and back configuration. Hopefully I'll have something to show soon. Still trying to master industrial sewing machines though - not easy for a novice!

Cheers,

Jon

Roughwear

Thanks. The seam tapes were always lighter than the skin judging by the fact that there are plenty of traces of top finish on the skin and the back of the best is the same light tan as the front. I like the contrast here. Good luck with your 1943 Irvin.

jonnyboy

I like the contrast too - and the lovely red tones.

Thanks for the good luck wishes - I think I'll need them! The project has been a year and a half in the making so far (sourcing materials and having buckles and zips made, etc), but it's coming together. Fenland in Devon came up trumps with the sheepskin - I'm really pleased with it. I'll keep you posted and will post some pics when I have something worth showing! If it turns out OK, maybe I'll be able to offer an alternative to Aero and ELC? I'm sure there's always room for another jacket maker out there! :)

Anyway, congrats again on the pre-war jacket - a real beauty!

Cheers,

Jon

Persimmon

Andrew,
Thats looks a cool jacket.
If I was ever tempted to leave my A2's and head to the "Dark Side" that would probably be the temptation.
Excellent choice.
The picture open neck is how I would wear it I guess.
Can you tell me with sizes 4,5.6.7.8 etc going around how does that relate to a A2 size 38 to 40.

I might have to get one for the winter - B3's B6's or Irvins
What the best ?

Roughwear

Alan you would best fit a size 4 Irvin. I can wear some size 4s but they are usually a little tight. This one would be a size 5, but this type of sizing came in after this jacket was made. Yes, come over to the dark side my friend..... ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It's the short square/boxy, practical, mechanic's Winter jacket. With, or without pockets, zips straight up the front, no flappy bits to fold in, no dangling belt .... perfect. :cool:

deeb7 said:
It's the short square/boxy, practical, mechanic's Winter jacket. With, or without pockets, zips straight up the front, no flappy bits to fold in, no dangling belt .... perfect. :cool:

Im a big fan of the D1!! :cool:

Fantastic Irvin to Andrew BTW!! :)

Cliff

Thats really nice Andrew, where do you find them ??

I like that a lot and its not even shiney !! :lol: :lol:

cheers

cliff

CBI

Great catch Andrew!

I love Irwins, D-1's, etc. but here in the mid-south US, I would NEVER wear them. It gets cold enough about 1-2 days a year :evil: to wear something like this. Better move to Canada I guess!

Silver Dollar

CBI said:
Great catch Andrew!

I love Irwins, D-1's, etc. but here in the mid-south US, I would NEVER wear them. It gets cold enough about 1-2 days a year :evil: to wear something like this. Better move to Canada I guess!

I've got the same problem with the Irvins. I was putting aside some money to buy one but finally realized since I live in Kentucky, I wouldn't be able to wear it more than about one month out of 12. That's why I bought a B10. It's good down to 40 degrees without a sweater under it. Any lower than that, I put on my good old USAF fatigue jacket with the liner.

Roughwear

Cliff said:
Thats really nice Andrew, where do you find them ??

I like that a lot and its not even shiney !! :lol: :lol:

cheers

cliff

No it really does have a dull finish. It came from the USA.