• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential imagery for "Leper Colony" jacket back art

deand

I found one example of jacket back art for the fictional B-17 "Leper Colony" from the 1949 filmTwelve O'Clock High. It was simply the name of the plane and a B-17 side view with mission bombs. Not bad, but I would like to consider something different with imagery appropriate to the 'character' of the plane as General Savage described it; a "dead beat" crew ship. The lettering style would be right from the plane in the film, but I would like your opinions on some of these images that could be adapted to a back panel art piece. I am trying to get my wife to paint it, she has the ability. just not any interest at present. The artistic challenge might draw her into it so to speak. Your opinions would be much appreciated. The images I culled from the internet met several criteria, 1) Female Figure: But not a pin-up since the Leper Colony was a motivation crew ship, so no alluring ladies, to reflect the shame of assignment to the plane. 2) A melancholy mood because no one was supposed to be happy about being a crew member. 3) Angels. mostly, because they're still flyers afterall. 4) Images likely to have been available during the period, so classic statuary, such as tombstone adornments would have been available at the time. Thanks for your input. Here are some I chose. Feel free to add any.

2574569365_0f923638e8.jpg

DespondentAngelMetCemHead.jpg

sad-woman-367x490.jpg

cecilia-4.jpg

dean

better duck

Hey Dean, very original thought, great idea. You're asking for opinions and suggestions, here are mine.
First thing that comes to mind - having seen 12 o'Clock High just last week again - is that it is psychologically questionable whether crew on that plane would have honoured their consignment there with jacket art referring to that plane: Savage consigned to that plane "every deadbeat, no good person" of the group. Of course they might have develloped some contrary pride in being on that plane and crew, but chances are, they would try to get off it as soon as possible - not advertise it.

As to a model for the artwork, if you want to stay within the WW2 era, and still have a more "mournful" then revealing, naugthy, sexy atmosphere, I'd peruse film posters of that era. There must be quite a few, showing a leading lady in distress. Taking your idea of the statues, there's an option too: take the general posture of the mourning lady, and dress her in 40-ies clothes ....

Well, that's it, let's see what the other guys come up with. Be sure to keep us posted of progress!

CBI

I agree, I don't think the crew would want a jacket with the name - it was not good to be assigned to that crew

deand

I agree with the position that the crew would not want a jacket with "Leper Colony" on it. For my own reasons, it's just my desire to have such a jacket, ahistorical as it is, even counter-intuitive as it is. (It relates to the character of Gately, his growth as an officer and a person, etc. I like unusual things within the context of the mundane. But I digress.) Thanks for your input! The movie poster idea is good, can't believe I didn't consider it.

dean

unclegrumpy

I sort of hate to suggest a major tone & style switch, but have you considered something in a 1940's cartoon style? I think having something representing the crew as a leper colony in cartoon form....maybe something like the Disney Gremlins crawling around a B-17 might be more fitting. I am not actually thinking Disney characters here, but probably something from other period strip.

While this is fictional, I think it might be more fitting to represent the crew after they regained their pride and pulled themselves back up in the Group. Once they did, when it came time to paint their jackets, I think what they put on them would be more irreverent rather than somber. They probably would try to make as big a joke as they could out of what they had achieved....and the name leper colony.

CBI

"leper colony" is going to get you some odd looks for sure by the general public. Of course, they know nothing and we have been through this appropriate vs. not debate before but think about it: the imagry suggetsed by all and the title - ?

Whatever works - :)

better duck

Dean,
Whatever you decide, be sure to keep us posted of what it's gonna be! I'm very interested, having followed through a half baked idea about jacket art and having it land solidly after a veeeeeery long time on the back of an ELC Star (My "Home James" jacket, honouring the 457th BG).

Even intermediate stages of the creative process - I'm sure I speak for all - will be hugely appreciated!

deand

Indeed, it may never come to be, a lot of ideas just don't translate well from concept to reality, but even if it doesn't sound quite palatable, and I do understand the public perception issue, someone thought of this:
A2TheLeperColony.jpg

dean

Silver Dollar

Here's my humble opinion. I agree with those that say that particular crew wouldn't want a jacket with the name Leper Colony. That name was a source of shame rather than pride. I have a VHS copy of 12 O'Clock High that I've just about worn out. One thing it shows is men being transferred in and out of the crew at the whim of Gen Savage. Hopefully, a crew member would straighten himself out before an artist would even have time to paint a jacket.

The next point concerns the use of the angels. Gen Savage formed the Leper Colony as a punishment crew for men who were incompetent, for cowards ( eg. Ben Gately) and derelicts. That to me conjures up the thought of fallen angels which takes on a much different meaning when you think about it. I like the idea of using a cartoon drawing let's say of a little kid sitting on a stool facing a corner with a dunce cap on. His head can be turned like he's looking out of the corner with a sad, pouty expression on his face. The angels depicted just look way too serious.