• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pilot with bayonet M3 and plastic wisthle

dujardin

found by hasard on www.grimshaworigin.org

pilot of the 384th FS

John_L_Gw_384th_Fighter_Squadrongri.jpg

rtrrjpg.jpg

byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Chandler

Okay, I'll ask -- how can you tell it's plastic?

Plastic wasn't used much in those days either -- bakelite, yes - plastic, no.

Chandler

dujardin

Chandler said:
Okay, I'll ask -- how can you tell it's plastic?

because of the dark color

Plastic wasn't used much in those days either -- bakelite, yes - plastic, no.

sorry for confusion, i mean bakelite

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Besides .... Bakelite is plastic.

The first plastic based on a synthetic polymer was made from phenol and formaldehyde, with the first viable and cheap synthesis methods invented in 1909 by Leo Hendrik Baekeland, a Belgian-born American living in New York state.

This has to be one of the youngest looking group of pilots I've ever seen--most of them hardly look twenty.

For what it's worth, the M8 scabbard isn't bakelite or plastic, or at least not plastic in the modern sense. I have one. It's a resin impregnated cloth, kind of like the GI helmet liners of WW2, only thicker. Can't comment on the whistle, however.

stubbyeighth

John Lever

Looks like a Commando type knife to me. Bayonets usually have slightly off-set blades.
For cutting parachute cord after a bale out landing ?

watchmanjimg

God knows what the intended purpose was, but I agree that this looks like an M3 fighting knife in either an M8 or M8A1 sheath. Although its stacked leather handle and distinctive blade design are very similar to the M4 bayonet that succeeded it, the M3 does not have a provision for attachment to a rifle.

Chandler

deeb7 said:

Eeh -- sort of, but not like the plastics we're all used to these days.

And I'm still not convinced the dark color proves the material of the whistle, just interested to know if whistles ever were made of plastic back when.

Chandler

rich

John Lever said:
I suspect injection moulding was not all that sophisticated back then.

That made me wonder John, and I found this on Wiki................

In 1868 John Wesley Hyatt became the first to inject hot celluloid into a mold, producing billiard balls. He and his brother Isaiah patented an injection molding machine that used a plunger in 1872, and the process remained more or less the same until 1946, when James Hendry built the first screw injection molding machine, revolutionizing the plastics industry. Roughly 95% of all molding machines now use screws to efficiently heat, mix, and inject plastic into molds.

rich

John Lever said:
I wonder though, if they could mould a hollow whistle ?

Couldn't begin to speculate - in two halves I suppose, but was bakelite a material which could be bonded? It's very brittle stuff I recall - I had an old radio with a damaged bakelite casing, I never did find anything that would stick it back together and hold the repair. What a digression, my apologies..............

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Chandler said:
deeb7 said:

Eeh -- sort of, but not like the plastics we're all used to these days.

And I'm still not convinced the dark color proves the material of the whistle, just interested to know if whistles ever were made of plastic back when.

Chandler

This from Paratrooper.be ....

Whistles were issued to all branches of the army, particularly to MP personnel and officers. The most famous is the brass Thunderer whistle, which was used by pilots who wore them on the zipper of their A-2 flight jackets. The Thunderer whistle is the only type listed in my copy of the U.S. Military Forces Supply Catalog, dated 15 January 1945. But obviously, other official issue types existed, notably the OD green plastic whistle. The brass whistles, which may also be found nickle plated, are much more common than the plastic ones. Two of the plastic whistles I have are both 1943 dated, the other one is undated and I have never seen any other year in photographs, except for the otherwise identical Navy-issue green plastic whistle, which is 1944 dated.

Chandler

deeb7 said:
Two of the plastic whistles I have are both 1943 dated, the other one is undated and I have never seen any other year in photographs, except for the otherwise identical Navy-issue green plastic whistle, which is 1944 dated.

So, do you suppose that's really bakelite or true plastic?

My only point to the whole discussion is how can you really tell what the whistle in that picture is made of? Just because it's dark doesn't make it bakelite. Ever see black Zippo-type lighters in B&W images? They're awfully dark, but they aren't plastic.

The plastic/bakelite discussion is secondary, but anyone who has ever handled bakelite knows it's very different from today's plastic material -- as mentioned above, it's very brittle. 1911 pistols often had bakelite grips that were pretty fragile.

Chandler

dujardin

about knife M3 and bayonet M4

M3 with scabbard M8
knifeM3scabbardM8.jpg

M3 with scabbard M6
knifeM3scabbardM6.jpg

knife M4
bayonetM4.jpg

detail of the M8 scabbard
M8.jpg

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Chandler said:
So, do you suppose that's really bakelite or true plastic?

Bakelite .... but then I still believe that bakelite is plastic. :)

Bakelite marks the beginning of a lineage that today includes the so called "polys" such as polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, polystyrene and others... products without which the world as we know it today would hardly exist.
modeltrader.com

Yes, very early bakelite was brittle ... it got better. For an example in modern usage, recent Breitling watches were sold in a bakelite box.

dujardin

and to complete with the bakelite plastic

origin is BELGIUM.....
and in fact it's the first (modern) plastic

this is well explain on wikipédia

Bakelite
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards.
Please improve this article if you can. (February 2007)

Bakelite (pronounced /ˈbеɪkɨlaɪt/) is a material based on the thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride, developed in 1907–1909 by Belgian Dr. Leo Baekeland. Formed by the reaction under heat and pressure of phenol (a toxic, colourless crystalline solid) and formaldehyde (a simple organic compound), generally with a wood flour filler, it was the first plastic made from synthetic components. It was used for its electrically nonconductive and heat-resistant properties in radio and telephone casings and electrical insulators, and was also used in such diverse products as kitchenware, jewellery, pipe stems, and children's toys. In 1993 Bakelite was designated an ACS National Historical Chemical Landmark in recognition of its significance as the world's first synthetic plastic.[1]

The retro appeal of old Bakelite products and labor intensive manufacturing has made them quite collectible in recent years.

Bakelite AG (a German company) claims to own the trademark in the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, China, Cuba, Czech Republic, Egypt, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Republic of Macedonia, Malaysia, Morocco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, Switzerland, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, and the United Kingdom.[2]

Contents [hide]
1 History
2 Properties
3 Patents
4 Applications and usage
5 See also
6 References
7 External links

[edit] History

Structure of BakeliteThe Bakelite Corporation was formed in 1922 after patent litigation favorable to Baekeland from a merger of three companies: the General Bakelite Company, which Baekeland had founded in 1910, the Condensite Company founded by J.W. Aylesworth, and the Redmanol Chemical Products Company founded by L.V. Redman.[3]

The American Catalin Corporation acquired the Bakelite formulas in 1927 and currently manufactures Bakelite cast resins.

Bakelite Limited was formed in 1926 from the amalgamation of three suppliers of phenol formaldehyde materials: the Damard Lacquer Company Limited of Birmingham; Mouldensite Limited of Darley Dale and Redmanol Chemical Products Company of London. Around 1928 a new factory opened in Tyseley, Birmingham, England (subsequently demolished in 1998). In 1939 the company was acquired by the Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation.

[edit] Properties
Phenolics are seldom used in general consumer products today due to the cost and complexity of production and their brittle nature. An exception to the overall decline is the use in small precision-shaped components where their specific properties are required, such as moulded disc brake cylinders, saucepan handles, electrical plugs and switches and electrical iron parts. Today, Bakelite is manufactured and produced in the form of sheets, rods and tubes for hundreds of industrial applications in the electronics, power generation and aerospace industries, and under a variety of commercial brand names, including Garolite.

Bakelite distributor rotor.Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic. When rubbed, original Bakelite has a telltale odor.

Bakelite Phenolic is produced in dozens of commercial grades and with various additives to meet diverse mechanical, electrical and thermal requirements. Some common types include:

PAPER REINFORCED PHENOLIC NEMA XX per MIL-I-24768 PBG Normal electrical applications, moderate mechanical strength, continuous operating temperature of 250°F.
CANVAS REINFORCED PHENOLIC NEMA C per MIL-I-24768 TYPE FBM NEMA CE per MIL-I-24768 TYPE FBG Good mechanical and impact strength with continuous operating temperature of 250°F.
LINEN REINFORCED PHENOLIC NEMA L per MIL-I-24768 TYPE FBI NEMA LE per MIL-I-24768 TYPE FEI Good mechanical and electrical strength. Recommended for intricate high strength parts. Continuous operating temperature 250°F.
NYLON REINFORCED PHENOLIC NEMA N-1 per MIL-I-24768 TYPE NPG Superior electrical properties under humid conditions, fungus resistant, continuous operating temperature of 160°F.

[edit] Patents
U.S. Patent 0,942,809 —Condensation product and method of making same
(After following the patent link, click on the "Images" button to view the patent. You will need a TIFF (.tif) viewer to view the patent.)

[edit] Applications and usage

Bakelite radio at Bakelite museum.Although it is no longer extensively used as an industrial manufacturing material, in the past Bakelite was used in myriad applications, such as saxophone mouthpieces, cameras, solid-body electric guitars, rotary-dial telephones, early machine guns, and appliance casings. It was at one point considered for the manufacture of coins, due to a shortage of traditional manufacturing material. In 1943, Bakelite and other non-metal materials were tested for usage as a penny in the United States before the Mint settled on zinc coated steel.[4][5]

The foremost usage of Bakelite today is as a substitute for porcelain and other opaque ceramics in applications where fine detail is unimportant (other thermoset resins can capture detail more finely when molded) and durability over traditional ceramic compounds is desired. As such, a main continuing use for bakelite is in the area of board and tabletop games. Devices such as billiard balls, dominoes, Mahjongg tiles and other gaming tilesets, and movers/pieces for games like chess, checkers, and backgammon, are constructed of Bakelite for the look, durability, fine polish, weight, and sound of the resulting pieces. Dice are sometimes made of Bakelite for weight and sound, but the majority are made of a thermoplastic such as ABS. It is also used to make the presentation boxes of luxury Breitling watches. Bakelite is also sometimes used as a substitute for metal in the construction of firearm magazines.

[edit] See also
Ansco panda—children's Bakelite box camera
Bayko—A construction set toy in which most of the parts were made of Bakelite
Catalin
Novotext
Phenol formaldehyde resin
Phenolic resin

[edit] References
^ New Products
^ "Our reference - Protection of brands". Bakelite AG (June 18, 2007).
^ American Institute of Chemical Engineers Staff (1977). Twenty-Five Years of Chemical Engineering Progress, Ayer Publishing. pp.216. ISBN 0836901495.
^ J2051/P2073 USPatterns.com. Accessed July 28, 2006
^ The New Yorker. Penny Dreadful. David Owen. March 31, 2008.

[edit] External links
Bakelite: JJ Zimmermann's Virtual Bakelite Museum in Basel, Switzerland: one of the world's largest private collections can be visited in a special exhibition http://www.15squaredevergennes.com in Paris until August 2, 2008
Bakelite: The Material of a Thousand Uses
Virtual Bakelite Museum of Ghent 1907-2007
SYNDYNE Phenolic laminatestrBakalit
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite"
Categories: Companies based in Birmingham, England | Dielectrics | Phenolic resins | Thermosetting plastics
Hidden categories: Cleanup from February 2007 | All pages needing cleanup

byeeeeeeeeeeeeee marcel