• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perrys three

Jason

Its been a long time coming, however I've joined the growing list of Good Wear Leather owners with a GW Perry having arrived on my doorstep about a week ago. I'm not a big fan of seal jackets, so I made an early choice of a russet horsehide jacket - initially I'd picked a 27753 pattern, but later heard that John was planning to add a Perry to his very impressive line up - and couldn't resist.

Lots has been said about the authenticity of Johns lovingly crafted jackets, and I can attest to that! Little construction nuances are replicated to the best of Johns abilities and the materials available to him. Given that there's no other Perry reproduction presently being made, how about we make the ultimate comparison - a Good Wear with a few original Perrys.

So here they are: lower left is my original size 42, lower right is the GW size 42, and at the top is my original size 44. Notice that even though the two originals are both from the same contract, they have very different leather, and the 44 is a very generous cut, its more like two sizes up from the 42, not just one size up.
IMG_1498.jpg

Here, the GW is flanked by the originals:
IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

So what's it like to wear? I gave John lots of measurements of my original Perry 42, and my GW was made to those exact measurements. Putting on the GW is just like wearing the original in fit & feel. The leather John has sourced from Horween is slightly thinner and lighter than any other repro I've had which is so refreshing - it makes the jacket both very comfortable to wear, and more like the character exhibited by originals.

GW_Perry_unzipped.jpg

GW_Perry_zipped.jpg

GW_Perry_side.jpg

GW_Perry_back.jpg

Compare this to my original being worn (notice how the right pocket is shorter, and its no illusion, it does measure a good 3/8" shorter!):
Orig_Perry42_wear.jpg

In this comparison of the epaulettes, the GW is on top at left:
GW_Perry_epp_compare.jpg

GW_Perry_collar_compare.jpg

Lets compare pockets now....
GW_Perry_pockets_compare.jpg

And knits - here's an original knit from a Perry, compared to the GW.
GW_Perry_knits_compare2.jpg

GW_Perry_knits_compare.jpg

Time to compare linings. The lining at top is the unfaded 'inside' of the lining removed from my size 44 Perry, and should provide a good representation of what a lining in new condition would have looked like back in 1943.
GW_Perry_lining_compare.jpg

GW_Perry_lining_compare2.jpg

And comparing the labels:
GW_Perry_labels.jpg

The unique to Perry three piece windflap has been accurately reproduced here too:
GW_Perry_3piece_windflap.jpg

John even had a NOS Conmar to grace the Perry:
GW_Perry_Conmar.jpg

If we're to be totally fastidious, what improvements could be made? There's very minor differences in the pocket snaps and pocket reinforcement box-stitching, the lining weave, the knits and the label thread colour... but this really does come so close to replicating every little nuance of the Perry that the GW truly deserves its "1942 in a box" accolades. Even little things like the snap reinfocement leather tabs are sewn underneath the collar points and pocket flaps have been recreated. Simply amazing!

I'm a very grateful and happy GW owner. If you want the best reproduction possible, you've found it!

Roughwear

As the owner of an original size 44 Perry I would say your GW is fantastic and 99% accurate. John as ever has got so many of the fine details correct. It's a very good fit too, Jason. What do you think of shine on the HH? It appears to be spray dyed? So with this new baby your originals will see less wear perhaps!

Andrew

What a review Jason- must've taken all week...

Great to see you finally got it, it looks amazing and very like your others. That new russett is very much like the originals (the colour is so close) and it'll be interesting to see if it breaks in as quickly as the seal. Having seen your older relined Perry first hand it is one beautiful jacket but i'm sure you will enjoy wearing this one as much.

The proof of the accuracy of JC's pattern will be if your collar develops the characteristic "limp" over time ;) .

rich

Great review, great pics and great jackets, thanks for showing. Monitor issues aside, can I ask which photo most represents the
true colour of your A2's?

better duck

Love a review like this one! It betters ELCs comparison photos by a factor of 10 at least - and from an unsuspect source!
Great photos, great jackets. Thanks!

Falcon_52

Thanks for putting so much effort into this comparison. It really does show how close the Good Wear is to the originals. To echo the other members here: that is a truly an outstanding jacket! I would like to see a photo of it after some serious wear time if you have a chance.

Thanks again,

Noel

RudyN

That is a great review and I can tell that you have put a lot of work into it. I have a Perry on order in Russet Horsehide. Now I can wear it vicariously! :D

Jason

I think the pics of me wearing the GW Perry, and the close up of the conmar zip best represent the colour of the leather on my LCD screen at home (perhaps just a touch lighter in shade), and the pics of the three jackets hanging on the fence best represent the leather colour on my CRT type monitor at work.

Didn't realise there would be such a marked difference in how each monitor would display colours.

khiattP-51

Mercy! That's awesome. Other than the knits and the lining being a slightly different shade of the colors on your originals, it is exact. I think it looks great.

I know this will sound like a slam against THE FEW. It could be a bad picture, but their Perry isn't even in the same league as the GW. Maybe if I drink three beers, squint both eyes, tilt my head to the left and stand ten feet from my monitor, I might see it.

Congrats Jason.
-Kevin

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
khiattP-51 said:
I know this will sound like a slam against THE FEW. It could be a bad picture, but their Perry isn't even in the same league as the GW.

Thanks Kevin .....

I think we've discussed THE FEW's photography before, and the reasons for the shiny results.

Like I said, I was just correcting the statement. I'm just as impressed as you are, with the magnificent trio on Perry Street.

Jason

Thanks for pointing out The Few Perry, David - I forgot about that one. I agree, it's not "Perry" enough to hit my hot button. But the GW Perry is incredible... I'm guessing in three years time I'll have a pretty hard time picking it from a well cared for original.

rich

Jason said:
I think the pics of me wearing the GW Perry, and the close up of the conmar zip best represent the colour of the leather on my LCD screen at home (perhaps just a touch lighter in shade), and the pics of the three jackets hanging on the fence best represent the leather colour on my CRT type monitor at work.

Didn't realise there would be such a marked difference in how each monitor would display colours.

Thanks Jason. Monitor calibration and colour management though - aaarrrggghhhhhh. :D

ausreenactor

Jason,

AWESOME review pics mate! I think this is the first time I found detailed side by sides for the Perry. Appreciate the time and effort! I just want to jump on and quiz a couple of the die hard GW fans. One in particular, who is quite passionate about the GW product, and will only accept supported argument.

GWPerryCompareEpp.jpg

GWPerryComparePocket.jpg

I noticed a few differences in the GW repro and the two originals made by Perry Sportswear back in the day. The first are the box stitches on the GW epps. The original Pery epps are a more of a rectangular shape. And the Perry cross stitching runs to the base of the box near the shoulder seam. The GW repro has a shorter, more squared appearance and the cross stitching runs to the side of the box. The second is the reinforcement stitching on the patch pocket. The Perry, once again, is of a rectangular design, yet the GW once again is using a square box stitch. I DO recognise the time and effort JC has put into re-setting the standard to appease the most discerning buyers of repro jackets. Not so much that I will line up my Fairmont, Pulsar and Jeep in front of the Neptune at RAAF Townsville and tell everyone! I am a 'newbie' going by the number of posts and I picked this up! Just wanted to kick a bored cat and see what he could do with a few pidgeons. Will eaglerly await a response or two from our 'most discerning' rooster!

Once again Jason, appreciate the review. I would have thrown a blanket over that cyclone fence first!
...Scratches...aaargh!!

Couchy

buzzthetower

Administrator
Couchy,

Good points. The difference between my jacket and the originals comes about through the original that one copies. I think, we can assume that there are some differences from one to another. The original I copied, a size 48 that Andrew has in Australia, has these details, and you can see that I copied them rather than how Jason's two jackets looked. I hadn't seen his jackets previously in detail, so I went by the pattern I have. I do notice that many Perry jackets have the pocket top stitch in a rectangle, rather than a real square, but Andrew's was indeed a square. Here are two photos...

open_pocket.jpg

epaulet.jpg

Here's a photo of Jason's Perry...the other side's epaulet...

epaulet.jpg

As to the epaulets, there is often a lot of slop in that regard...the X is sewn before the sleeve is assembled to the body, so getting that perfectly aligned isn't always seen on originals, and my repros also show this. Andrew's original epaulets also have a bit less of a long rectangle shape...another area of slop that just depended on the person sewing that exact part (one person to another can have a unique idea of what they think is right).

Here's an epaulet on a friend's smaller Perry. Note how short the X design is. Either are correct for this contract. I don't think that Jeff would know this stuff, but I have to pay attention to these kinds of details all the time.

perry_epaulet.jpg

Good observations!
John