• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PERIOD WORN M-422 SWITLIK IMAGE

mulceber

I’ll join the chorus of people thanking you for sharing this. I look forward to your posts Dave, because they always have beautiful jackets, wonderful information, or both.

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi all,

Here is the same original owner of my M-422 Switlik seen (left seat) in the cockpit of his PV-1 Ventura.

Crew.jpg

These guys regularly did 1,500 mile round trip combat missions flying from Attu to the Kuriles (The EMPIRE EXPRESS). By chance I was even able to have located some of his post combat reports. His combat missions generally consisted of attacking shipping and air fields. In one instance he used his Ventura as a fighter by engaging a Betty bomber using the Ventura's forward firing guns. But ultimately lost the Betty in the clouds.

For some additional period pix and reading on VPB-135/VB-135 and Attu synopsis please go here https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2017/february/flying-empire-express

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

That is an outstanding find, Dave and it is only fitting that that jacket ended up up in the hands of somebody who knows and understands its importance not only as an extremely rare jacket, but as a piece of history as well. Well done. I marvel at the fantastic shape that the jacket is in. Thanks for sharing the pictures of the jacket as well of its owner during wartime days. Are you planning on reproducing this jacket?

Cheers,

L.

Maverickson

Hi L,

I appreciate the compliments! It is not everyday that an IDed true combat worn and well documented M-422 jacket from arguably the most rare (limited production) USN flight jacket comes along.

Yes, I have been planning and also have been actively reproducing this same M-422 jacket for well over a year. In fact I currently have a size 44 on going build.

However, my first original (size 40) Switlik had been partially altered through amateurish repairs and modifications all prior to my receiving. On the other hand & since it was a basket case and in dire need of a complete restoration when originally acquired it turned into an excellent learning experience. All of which allowed me the opportunity to come up with a very detailed pattern. Not to mention, ultimately culminating into a very successful ( 18 month) restoration project that I completed last year.

While this latest find (size 36) IDed Switlik remains in a remarkable 100% original condition. This latest jacket has allowed me to make the necessary adjustments by filling in the blanks to get the most accurate rendition of this jacket by far.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

Please see another period pic of Edelle & original owner of my pre War Switlik Parachute And Equipment Co. M-422 jacket. Edelle is seen on the top row far left. The reverse side of the photo indicates that this photo was taken on Attu Island.

Air Crew Group VB-135 Photo Attu.jpg

In this case, it appears to me that Edelle is wearing a M-444. While all other flight crew members are in M-422A type jackets. Edelle's M-444 is not listed as one of the jackets having been issued to him in Pensacola on July 2, 1941.

What is listed on his USN invoice is a Winter type flight suit. Which I believe would have been associated with an M-445. As seen worn in another photo that I also received along with Edelle's M-422 jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

I thought it mentionalable that I found and have been in contact with a surviving VPB-135 member Pat Patteson. A one time squadron mate to Edelle and original owner of my Switlik M-422. Both were pilots (left seat) and were well acquainted while on Attu. Pat is now 101 years old.

In fact still flying as a centenarion. See a recent video of Pat flying a PV-2 Harpoon (owned by the same fellow that put me in touch with Pat) and final model air craft that VPB-135 flew out of Attu for their EMPIRE EXPRESS missions.

Notably, Pat is mentioned within an article FLYING THE EMPIRE EXPRESS previously highlighted in this thread. Well worth a look & seen here https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2017/february/flying-empire-express

Through our correspondence I learned that Edelle was a volunteer replacement for another VPB-135 squadron member whom had been lost in 1944.

Pat is seen below with his PV-1 Ventura crew. He is the little guy in the back row wearing the piss cutter. Taken on Attu in 5/19/44

Pat Pattersons VB-135 Crew Dated 5-19-44.jpg

Pat relayed to me that by choice he did not carry a sidearm on any combat (EMPIRE EXPRESS) missions. As explained, because he believed that he ran a greater risk of being shot if captured. However, if you notice others from within Pat's air crew did choose to carry.

The card issued by the VPB-135 Skipper to those EMPIRE EXPRESS participants. The card seen below belonged to my Switlik M-422 jacket's original owner.

Percy's VB-135 & Flkeet Air Wing 4 Combat Missions.jpg

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,

Another VPB-135 air crew pic taken on Attu. Note the Victory pistols.

VPB-135 Crew.jpg

Edelle's Victory he carried on Attu.

Percy's Victory 2.jpg

Only 5% of the Victory revolvers were marked with USN and Eddele's revolver is marked USN.
USN Marked VIctory.jpg

According to Pat the USN issued the Victory for all USN flight crews. However, while on Attu they shared the base with the USAA. Aparently they often traded for flight gear and firearms.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Micawber

Hi All,

I thought it mentionalable that I found and have been in contact with a surviving VPB-135 member Pat Patteson. A one time squadron mate to Edelle and original owner of my Switlik M-422. Both were pilots (left seat) and were well acquainted while on Attu. Pat is now 101 years old.

In fact still flying as a centenarion. See a recent video of Pat flying a PV-2 Harpoon (owned by the same fellow that put me in touch with Pat) and final model air craft that VPB-135 flew out of Attu for their EMPIRE EXPRESS missions.

Notably, Pat is mentioned within an article FLYING THE EMPIRE EXPRESS previously highlighted in this thread. Well worth a look & seen here https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2017/february/flying-empire-express

Through our correspondence I learned that Edelle was a volunteer replacement for another VPB-135 squadron member whom had been lost in 1944.

Pat is seen below with his PV-1 Ventura crew. He is the little guy in the back row wearing the piss cutter. Taken on Attu in 5/19/44

View attachment 99793

Pat relayed to me that by choice he did not carry a sidearm on any combat (EMPIRE EXPRESS) missions. As explained, because he believed that he ran a greater risk of being shot if captured. However, if you notice others from within Pat's air crew did choose to carry.

The card issued by the VPB-135 Skipper to those EMPIRE EXPRESS participants. The card seen below belonged to my Switlik M-422 jacket's original owner.

View attachment 99795

Cheers, Dave

This thread just gets better. Amazing!

Maverickson

Hi Don,

Yes you can just make out their stamp. Also, as far as I know all Victory revolovers were made by S&W.
Percy's Victory 1 .jpg

This is the exact same type pistol carried by my father in Vietnam when he flew off the (CVA-34) USS Oriskany.

According to Pat the the guns they carried belonged to he USN. Checked out by the squadron for their air crews and then returned at the end of the tour. Likewise during my father's experience squdron checked out their side arms from the ship's armory. However, many brought there own.

I have no idea how Edelle came away with this gun.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Chandler

I have no idea how Edelle came away with this gun.
I can think of a few. ;)

The story of my '44 Garand is that it was traded to a sailor from a Marine on his final extraction from some island.

I don't know what the sailor offered in barter, but he smuggled the M-1 home to Kenosha, WI and now it's in my possession.

I wonder if the manifest is still short one M-1 -- or Victory .38? ;)