• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PERIOD WORN M-422 SWITLIK IMAGE

Maverickson

Hi All,

I've been looking for a decent period image with a recognizable M-422 Switlik jacket being worn for some time. Up and until now that image has eluded me. However, i recently came across a group photo of a VP-135 crew taken during WW-2 that fits the bill. It appears to me that the fellow seen in the far left of the back row is in fact wearing a Switlik M-422 jacket.

WW--2 VP-135 Crew.jpg

I'm quite certain that the Switlik M-422 jacket represents the most limited produced USN issue jacket to date. My research at the National Archives in Washington D.C. shows that less than 250 were delivered to the USN during the the first quarter of 1941.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

B-Man2

Dave
What are some of the details in the photo that
distinguishes this from the other jackets in the photo as a Switlik M-422?
What should we look for in other photos to identify a Switlik for you?
Cheers

Maverickson

Hi Burt,

To begin from the front the M-422 Switlik looks much like a Pritzker 55J14. More than likely Pritzker copied much about the outward appearance of the Switlik but the overall design is no where near alike and not interchangeable. As each individual jacket maker utilized their very own shoulder seam positioning and sleeve design complete. None of which can be correctly gleaned from a one dimensional image.

The outward similarities are mainly with the pocket design and placement for their pattern. Both have close to the same shape pocket flaps and pocket positioning. However, the Switlik pocket flap is noticeably longer vertically.

The pocket position is situated about as close to the waist knits as seen on all other USN flight jackets on both the Pritzker and Switlik. That particular pocket placement design is unique to those two makers but that is where the similarities end.

What strikes me immediately about the difference between the two is and very evident in that referenced image is that Switlik has a wide and almost over sized collar. On the other hand, the Pritzker having been a later model design did not.

The other noticeable difference that is not completely evident in the referenced image is the size and shape of the pocket buttons. All of which found on the Switlik are under sized as compared to most all other USN type jackets. But I can just make out that the key hole button hole stitch work is short. Therein indicating to me that this jacket more than likely utilized the same 11/16" verses the normal 3/4" buttons that is more often than not used for a USN flight jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hi Burt,

To begin from the front the M-422 Switlik looks much like a Pritzker 55J14. More than likely Pritzker copied much about the outward appearance of the Switlik but the overall design is no where near alike and not interchangeable. As each individual jacket maker utilized their very own shoulder seam positioning and sleeve design complete. None of which can be correctly gleaned from a one dimensional image.

The outward similarities are mainly with the pocket design and placement for their pattern. Both have close to the same shape pocket flaps and pocket positioning. However, the Switlik pocket flap is noticeably longer vertically.

The pocket position is situated about as close to the waist knits as seen on all other USN flight jackets on both the Pritzker and Switlik. That particular pocket placement design is unique to those two makers but that is where the similarities end.

What strikes me immediately about the difference between the two is and very evident in that referenced image is that Switlik has a wide and almost over sized collar. On the other hand, the Pritzker having been a later model design did not.

The other noticeable difference that is not completely evident in the referenced image is the size and shape of the pocket buttons. All of which found on the Switlik are under sized as compared to most all other USN type jackets. But I can just make out that the key hole button hole stitch work is short. Therein indicating to me that this jacket more than likely utilized the same 11/16" verses the normal 3/4" buttons that is more often than used used for a USN flight jacket.

Cheers, Dave
Throughly impressive knowledge and skill you have Dave!

Maverickson

I must say, I think the larger collar looks much better.

From what I have seen the larger collar is part of the M-422 specification in general and used with all three of the makers. Most definitely a unique & defining characteristic for that model jacket.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Cool photo! The larger shaped mouton collar and straight pocket flap shape look unique to the Switlik.

Grant,

The Switlik pocket flap is not quite straight across. It is in fact shaped some what angular.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Maverickson

Hi All,
Just now finishing up the restoration of my Switlik Parachute and Equipment Co M-422. Please see the pocket configuration and placement in the attachment. Exactly what sets the Switlik design apart from all early USN designs & makes it so readily recognizable.

Keep in mind, the wide collar for the M-422 is a given. All three makers for the M-422 pretty much followed the collar width spec and in this case it is the pockets which make these jackets the most recognizable.

Note the vertical crease created by the internal leather pencil pocket compartment, how it is located almost on top of the waist knit stitch work and atypical non rimmed 11/16" verses the usual 3/4" rimmed button .

Switlik Pocket .jpg

A close up of what I believe to be a M-422 Switlik jacket being worn as seen in the initial WW-2 group photo.

CLOSE UP  VP-135 SWITLIK .jpg

Besides the placement, I cannot help but believe that these pockets are remarkably similar. Right down to a same vertical line created by the pencil pocket slot & large rounded verses the normally more sharp corners on the patch pocket angles. All much unlike those seen on Grant's W&G M-422. In the end, reinforcing the fact that it is indeed a Switlik M-422 jacket seen in that group vintage WW-2 photo.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Grant

Dave, you're absolutely right how unique the Switlik pocket shape is, along with the construction of the pencil pocket. So cool!
For comparison, here's a shot of my W&G M422 pocket with the rimmed buttons. Thanks for posting such a unique detail.

M422.jpg

B-Man2

Dave
It’s hard to imagine that anyone could find one of 247 Switlik M-422 jackets in this day and age. Hell .. just finding a wearable M-422 or M-422A from WWII is a feat unto itself. We frequently talk about the Goldsmith Jackets and on one occasion a guy actually popped up for a short visit here with an original Werber 1729 jacket , but here we have an original M-422 that by all accounts proceeded every other M-422 contract made during the war .
This is a crazy cool monumental piece that we all should be taking notice of...
Well done Dave!!

Maverickson

Hi All,

I wanted to share some addition vintage photos I recently acquired of a Switlik M-422 jacket with the Forum. These following latest images prove beyond any doubt that the jacket I suspected as being a Switlik Parachute & Equipment Co. M-422 in that initial period VB-135 group pic is in fact just that. I say this because out of shear luck I have subsequently added that exact same M-422 jacket into my personal collection.

My Switlik M-422 Worn.jpg

Percy On Attu Wearing Switlik.jpg

Note, all these images are of the same fellow throughout this thread. Albeit, that image seen below was obviously taken earlier on in the War. When a JG and missing his winged ID tag and VB-135/VPB-135 Squadron patch.

SWITLIK M-422.jpg

All the images seen above were taken sometime during his two combat deployments with VB-135 on Attu Island during WW-2.

That same Switlik Parachute And Equipment Co. M-422 jacket I recently acquired & seen worn in the numerous previous period pix can be seen here.

Switlik Size 38.jpg

This Switlik M-422 jacket remains in remarkably great over all original condition. The only exception being when the original owner passed away the family removed the winged USN ID tag and buried it along with him.

In additional to the jacket I also received numerous period photos and some interesting paper work outlining the original jacket owner's USNR aviation career.

To include his side arm (USN marked .38 Victory revolver) and an unusual private purchase survival knife. Apparently, the knife was gifted to him by his crew and he favored it over his USN issue.

Included among the jacket's original owner's paper work I received was his USN Invoice (as an officer they billed him for that jacket and associated flight gear & subsequently his to keep) receipt for the issue of his flight gear upon graduating from flight school at Pensacola in July of 1941. No doubt this M-422 is one of the 247 M-422 jackets that I found through the National Archives that Switlik had manufactured for the USN and delivered directly to Pensacola during the first Quarter of 1941.

There is a bulge that remains in the jacket's left pocket. Just as seen seen in the initial period pic. More than likely the result of it containing four (unused) syringes of morphine, a book of matches, pencil and original loose 11/16" button. All of which was still present in the jacket's left pocket when received.

Considering the overall condition of the jacket, along with the contents found within, I doubt the original owner wore the jacket once the War ended and he returned home.

Figure the odds!

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

B-Man2

Agree Dave … That’s the equivalent of finding an original A2 Goldsmith . The best part is that “, only a guy like you with your vast knowledge and experience in building and collecting USN Flight Jackets would have ever found this gem . Guys like me would have stumbled right past it, in a thrift shop , or a military show and not give it a second look , particularly if it didn’t have a label . Nice find!