• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Penney's 1950s horsehide

Socalal

Picked this up recently, pretty much unworn condition. Any information most appreciated.
s-l400.jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400 (3).jpg
s-l400 (2).jpg
s-l400 (4).jpg
s-l400 (1).png
s-l400 (5).jpg
s-l400 (6).jpg

Attachments

• s-l400 (7).jpg
    s-l400 (7).jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 78

mulceber

Nice acquisition. It's a typical post-war "bomber jacket" (in scare-quotes because most of us bristle at the term, but that IS the name for it). After the war, flight jackets were in vogue, and all these companies that made them were now in a position to mix and match their favorite details from different military styles. Check out Eastman's "Air Comfort" for a more modern tribute to the bomber jacket style.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Nice! I inherited one from my grandfather. A mid to late 1950's version. I will post photos later. You can tell the general age by the zipper type. Mine has a mid to late 50's Conmatic Conmar zip and is Steer Hide. Mine is an A-2 variant without the mouton collar. I will post photos later.

Silver Surfer

J c penny, sears, monkey ward, etc contracted several leather jacket makers, such as fidelity, monarch, star, et Al, to make their jackets. The penny name tag only means that penny sold it under their name. This practice continued up to the ‘70s, by then, many of the makers and big box stores were either kaput or on their way there.

busdrivermike

Socalal

Nice! I inherited one from my grandfather. A mid to late 1950's version. I will post photos later. You can tell the general age by the zipper type. Mine has a mid to late 50's Conmatic Conmar zip and is Steer Hide. Mine is an A-2 variant without the mouton collar. I will post photos later.

Wow I love these vintage civilian jackets, actually reminds me of the sky king jacket sold by fivestar especially the
Red quilted liner
Eastman's "Air Comfort" also looks close to this (thanks mulceber).

Southoftheborder

Eastman's "Air Comfort" also looks close to this (thanks mulceber).
The Sky King is a budget copy of the Air Comfort right down to the wind flap. Which incidentally I have never seen on any post war utility jacket. I have no idea where Eastman got the idea for that on a civilian jacket.

Southoftheborder

S
So since the Sears jacket posted at the top of this thread was made in the 1950s, I guess that means that the Eastman Air Comfort was ripped off from that jacket as well since the Eastman Leather Company wasn’t in existence back in those days . Just being logical .

Not really because the Eastman is a generic copy of that type of post war jacket. But it is designed by Eastman it's not a copy of a particular make of jacket. And as I said in the thread further up it also has a wind flap which I have never seen on any post war jacket of this type. That alone makes it very distinctive, and Five Star has copied that along with everything else including an attempt at the label.

Even the name has the same sort of ring to it. Sky instead of Air.

Skyhawk

S

Not really because the Eastman is a generic copy of that type of post war jacket. But it is designed by Eastman it's not a copy of a particular make of jacket. And as I said in the thread further up it also has a wind flap which I have never seen on any post war jacket of this type. That alone makes it very distinctive, and Five Star has copied that along with everything else including an attempt at the label.

Even the name has the same sort of ring to it. Sky instead of Air.
The Avi Leather debacle comes to mind.

They didn't copy everything, as shown by the crappy dull fashion leather, synthetic knits, and poorly done label.

They like to copy stuff, like my 37J1 label that they copied. I made this label about 12 years ago. Easy to spot for me. It is a fictional label but in the correct format. It features part of my phone number in the contract number. I was shocked when I saw this.
Screenshot 2023-04-01 091801.png

2l.jpg

You know they say that imitation is the highest form of flattery?