• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paypal revisited..........

jacketimp

is it this the new standard.........

recently i paid an ebay item thru paypal. normally the default payment comes from my bank account.

in this instant the default was my credit card....

is this ebay's new ruling or is it cos the seller will only accept credit cards thru paypal

.........or has paypal made it mandatory for all sellers to accept credit card payments?

John Lever

My payments come from my bank, with the CC as back up. I think you can select which to use in 'preferences'.

greyhound52

John Lever said:
My payments come from my bank, with the CC as back up. I think you can select which to use in 'preferences'.

Same here I have to choose credit card otherwise it comes from my bank.

jacketimp

that's what normally happens with bank account as default.

guess the seller only wants credit card payment cos i couldn't choose bank as payment!

let's see what happens on my next purchase!

thanks for sharing, guys!

havocpaul

I don't have a cc on my Paypal account so they can't be insisting on that. I prefer the buyer doesn't pay via cc via PP as that's where they do the charge-backs so easily.

John Lever

havocpaul said:
I don't have a cc on my Paypal account so they can't be insisting on that. I prefer the buyer doesn't pay via cc via PP as that's where they do the charge-backs so easily.
I think you have to upgrade to take cc payments.

havocpaul

I can take cc payments but I never registered one for my use, if I apy via PP it comes from either my account balance or my bank account.

mazeta

Unfortunately if a seller is to take advantage of the convenience of receiving payments via PayPal, he/she must accept CC as well. In fact I think eBay will pull a listing (if reported by someone else) if it finds that the seller insists on not accepting CC PayPal payments.

Andrew

I only have a CC attached to my PP account. It was so long ago when I joined up but I recall that I just wasn't able to function internationally unless I upgraded the account to include for it.

I understand that if you pay with a CC it cuts an approximate 4% fee from the Seller whereas if paid for using bank account funds it's much less. Bummer for the seller though. I used to pass it on until I was burnt by Ebay- probably well deserved in the scheme of things!

jacketimp

OK got to pay my second purchase and yes, i was allowed bank or cc.........so i chose cc.....as a buyer it's to mu advantage.......depends whether you're looking in or looking out.......

Lignemaginot

Paypal will always try to get the buyer to use their bank account rather than a credit card. The reason has less to do with security than with Paypal's profits.

To do a bank transfer costs Paypal about 2 cents, regardless of the size of the transfer. To process the credit card costs them about 0.73% of the total purchase price. Either way, they charge the seller about 3%. So, using a $300 purchase as an example, paypal will charge the seller $9. If the buyer pays by bank transfer, paypal makes $8.98. If the buyer uses a credit card, paypal makes $8.34, a $0.64 difference.

Multiply this by the bazillions of dollars that they're transacting, and you'll see that that is quite a difference.

I always use my credit card to pay through paypal because I get 2% cash back from ym credit card issuer - so each time, I have to change the method of payment from paypal's default (which is the bank transfer). I also have to clear out my paypal account of any funds before I pay for anything, because paypal will always take those funds first (costs them nothing).

C.

jacketimp

I always use my credit card to pay through paypal because I get 2% cash back from ym credit card issuer - so each time, I have to change the method of payment from paypal's default (which is the bank transfer). I also have to clear out my paypal account of any funds before I pay for anything, because paypal will always take those funds first (costs them nothing).

C.[/quote]

smart move.........

Lignemaginot

jacketimp said:

C.

smart move.........[/quote]

I pay everything with my credit card - I'd even pay my mortgage if I could - my credit card company picked the wrong person; I get the 2% refund, and I pay the bill in full every month - no fees whatsoever.

jacketimp

Lignemaginot said:
jacketimp said:

C.

smart move.........

I pay everything with my credit card - I'd even pay my mortgage if I could - my credit card company picked the wrong person; I get the 2% refund, and I pay the bill in full every month - no fees whatsoever.[/quote]

that's why i paypal thru cc as well.........protect my arse!