• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PATCHES - Pacific War Museum

kiltie

It took longer than I thought, but I got back up to the Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas last Wednesday.

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13373&hilit=fredericksburg

Some of the folks on here had bee asking after some patch IDs and I've got a couple.
This one seemed to be of particular interest -

The only information in the display was that it was from the 20th AF, which isn't a surprise, considering what appears to be a B-29.

Next up, from the 435th Bombardment Sqn, made up of B-17s

This one is a patch awarded for the highest efficiency in a competition held by the 58th Bomb Wing out of India

And from the navy, a shipboard made Galloping Ghost from the USS Enterprise. Two pictures of this one, in order to show the size -

Skip

For some reason the 435th grabs me ;)

Some nice wear on that jacket as well

Andrew

So the 435th is painted leather? I always thought that patches from the SWPA were usually embroidered and made in Australia. Im pretty sure the one in Maguires is (but I could easily be wrong). Thanks for that bit of edumacation.

shedonwanna

Andrew said:
So the 435th is painted leather? I always thought that patches from the SWPA were usually embroidered and made in Australia. Im pretty sure the one in Maguires is (but I could easily be wrong). Thanks for that bit of edumacation.

two cloth and one leather - all different and all 435th.

EMBLEMHUNTER

The "Billy Mitchell group " patch is actually that of the 468th Bombardment Group , it was used not only for the Group but the Squadrons as well with different colors to note which was which .........................
They were as follows.........................
"Group" Duck had a red head,black wings
792nd Sqd-white head/wings
793rd-black head/wings
794th-red head/white wings
795th-yellow head/white wings

The patch that has "gopher " carrying B-29 s most likely a "Service Squadron " .......................
The Galloping Ghost" emblem is that for the Enterprises "CAG-6" design
Johnny