• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overseas Bargains!

TankBuster

Clark J just called me to tell me that the Pounds value has dropped to $1.35.
This is as low as I've seen it. I just wanted to let fellow U.S. guys know that
some real bargains can be had from ELC right now.
A new ELC B-10 will run you $450 +/- shipped to your door. I paid $675 for mine
a while back. If you're thinking about a jacket from ELC, I would say now is
your time. This is your notice ;) :lol: :!:
Jeff

havocpaul

Yes, and we Brits are pig-sick that our Government have led the £ to be worth....well pretty much worthless, good luck to all overseas buyers, leave some jackets for us if ever we recover!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Grant said:
Noticed that HPA is still listing the B-10 for $725.

It must be a tough time for HPA. All their Eastman items can be replaced at a much lower cost, but they will have to sell off existing stock first.

Whereas it looks like the Buzz range will be costing at least 10% more to replace.

TankBuster

But the question is, who is going to buy that existing stock from HPA when you can save
30-40% by ordering directly from Eastman. I wouldn't want to be in their situation!
I guess it's the downside of being a middle man for a company that deals in different
currency than your own!

havocpaul

I always thought North American customers had to order thru' HPA, or that certainly used to be the way it was advertised. If they are no longer sole agent then that's really hard on them. This time last week the £ was worth $1.45, now $1.35, maybe things will settle down, but then again I am not expecting any breaks from this side of the pond.

jacketimp

TankBuster said:
But the question is, who is going to buy that existing stock from HPA when you can save
30-40% by ordering directly from Eastman. I wouldn't want to be in their situation!
I guess it's the downside of being a middle man for a company that deals in different
currency than your own!

long live the free market............

love it.........

imp the capitalist :)

A

Anonymous

This manipulation of the pound is by design so the English will accept the Euro ,In America we are heading the same Direction with the SPP North American Union and the Amero currency to follow also forced down our throats .

Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes her laws.
Mayer Amschel Rothschild

All The Best Jeff

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
TankBuster said:
currency than your own!

That's what I meant by "tough time".

I guess the term middle man has a different meaning in the US. Here we would see HPA as an online retailer, buying directly from the manufacturers. We would describe a middle man as an agent, or importer who buys from the manufacturer, and sells to the retailer.

Not necessarily in the above, but sometimes when the term is used in posts, it seems to be almost derogatory.

A

Anonymous

Let's hope that this doesn't affect JC and Good Wear. When the price to import to the USA meant that ELC & GW weren't that far apart in cost, people had a choice. Now, how many people will go for an ELC rather than a GW regardless of whom they think makes the better jacket as the cost difference makes the so-called compromise more attractive ?

Dave :ugeek:

havocpaul

For most UK collectors (apart from the still wealthy!) it is going to be near unaffordable to buy anything from overseas if these rates continue and obviously Eastman will be looking hard at the costs of selling any new BR stock, existing items will stay at current prices but any re-stocks/new items will be way too expensive. Even trying to acquire 'second-hand' on eBay is/will be expensive if the seller is from beyond these shores....I was looking through a 1942 book the other day, exchange rate was 1 Pound = 4.03 Dollars!! Maybe if we are buying a WW2 flight jacket we should get that rate...ha, ha!

Andrew

Our Dollar's been significantly lower compared to the US for many years- at the moment it's about $1.50AU to one as it was 10+ years ago, and a few months ago it was nearing parity. In 2001 when I was last in the States it was about $2.20 to one so that really hurt. We considered delaying our trip to wait for the currency to rise to normal levels but decided to go any way- good thing we did as two months after I was standing in the forecourt of the WTC 911 happened. I'm so glad we went- the cost is nothing in hindsight.

Twenty years ago when I lived in the UK the pound bought $2AU (although if something cost $1 here it seemed to cost 1GBP there) and at the moment it's about that. It's been a lot lower at times but I have still managed to buy some nice pieces of kit over the years from both the UK and US which i'm really glad I did at the time as some of it has significantly increased in value due to age and rarity with seemingly a lot more people looking for it with greater knowledge. It's just a hobby and I don't mind if I lose a bit occasionally but so far with swings and roundabouts i'm actually doing ok.

Those with traditionally strong currencies will naturally feel like it's the end of the world when they take a dip, it might slow down your collecting for a while but it's just something to work through and you seem to adjust. As Jeff says if there's something out there you spot you really want get it.

John Lever

havocpaul said:
For most UK collectors (apart from the still wealthy!) it is going to be near unaffordable to buy anything from overseas if these rates continue and obviously Eastman will be looking hard at the costs of selling any new BR stock, existing items will stay at current prices but any re-stocks/new items will be way too expensive. Even trying to acquire 'second-hand' on eBay is/will be expensive if the seller is from beyond these shores....I was looking through a 1942 book the other day, exchange rate was 1 Pound = 4.03 Dollars!! Maybe if we are buying a WW2 flight jacket we should get that rate...ha, ha!
Paul,
Do you remember the days when half a crown 2/6 in old money, was called half a dollar ?
I am seeing used Aero's for €500 and €600 [Euro's] on sale in Germany. More than the cost of a new one.

John Lever

tcwu said:
I am afraid ELC is going to raise the price soon due to the weak Pound!
ELC has to pay more for the materials!
If I need a ELC jacket I would buy now.
When the Pound is strong again the jacket actually hold better resell price.
ELC use Italian horse hide priced in Euro 's...

jacketimp

depends on yer passion........if i want i'go for it.....sure the forex may not be in £ favour but i'll adjust spending elsewhere........

Swing

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Let's hope that this doesn't affect JC and Good Wear. When the price to import to the USA meant that ELC & GW weren't that far apart in cost, people had a choice. Now, how many people will go for an ELC rather than a GW regardless of whom they think makes the better jacket as the cost difference makes the so-called compromise more attractive ?

IMO, US companies have raised their prices over the past few years (most notably Lost Worlds) simply because they could. The rode a high price wave created by HPA and the weak US dollar. Now that the pound is dropping, they're going to have to lower their prices to stay alive.

BTW, no A-2, no matter how damn nince, is worth more than $600. And even at that price it's borderline outrageous.

~Swing

TankBuster

I have to agree with Swing here. U.S. companies are going to have to adjust
quickly, or get run over. I love seeing U.S. companies in this business, but I'm sure
most U.S. buyers are like myself, and have to go with what is the best bargain.
There is only a $190 difference in price between a US authentic and a Eastman
right now!!

Swing

TankBuster said:
I have to agree with Swing here. U.S. companies are going to have to adjust
quickly, or get run over. I love seeing U.S. companies in this business, but I'm sure
most U.S. buyers are like myself, and have to go with what is the best bargain.
There is only a $190 difference in price between a US authentic and a Eastman
right now!!

Wow, that really puts things in perspective doesn't it?! :eek:

I'll be very interested to see how quickly HPA, LW, and GW drop their prices. I won't expect the latter two to budge until HPA does. Seems like HPA as always dictated what a premium A-2 is going to cost in the American market (not that LW is really premium), and when their prices drop, the other two will follow. Stu followed HPA right up in price (when you know damn well his costs weren't increasing), he'll have to follow them down.

~Swing

A

Anonymous

As I said above, it'll be interesting to see how GW deals / copes with this business.

I wish JC all the luck there is. However, when the pound is once again worth $4, I'll be ordering !!