• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ORIGINAL WWII TYPE B-3 FLYING JACKET W535 AC-17756

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I rarely get sheepskin jackets, since 95% of the time they are in poor condition. This B-3 was definitely a rare exception.

Probably one of the most classic flight jackets ever designed.

This specific example was made by the prolific Rough Wear Clothing Co. under contract W535 AC-17756 in fiscal year, 1941.

During World War II, the type B-3 was worn by bomber crews of the U.S.A.A.F, who operated in high altitudes. For that reason, it was rightly referred to as the 'bomber jacket'.

It was adopted on May 8, 1934 and suspended from new production contracts in 1943, mainly because it consumed a lot of leather, but it was used throughout World War II. The B-3 has remarkable differences depending on the manufacturer and lot.

This example is in such unbelievable condition, that it could be mistaken by a high-end modern reproduction. All parts are original to the jacket and seems to be unworn. It even has the pocket label still attached. Hard to upgrade!

Let the pictures talk!

Regards,
Jorge

DSC04865.jpeg
pict230716_0905190000.jpeg
DSC04736.jpeg
DSC04958.jpeg
DSC04952.jpeg
DSC04951.jpeg
DSC04957.jpeg
DSC04727.jpeg
DSC04979.jpeg
DSC04728.jpeg

Dumpster D

Incredible. How in the world did you even get something like this?!?!?

This Jacket actually still exists, and in that condition? Way too much for my feeble mind to handle right now.

Rare and mint are words that get thrown around too much, but this is one exceptional Jacket.

I can't believe it!

PS is that one cuff Chrome tan and the other Veg?

The back of the Jacket curves so nice and streamline!!! Wow!

B-Man2

O
I was in Orlando in February a few years ago -- temp dropped to 60° one night at Dizzy World and the workers acted like it was Armageddon. :p

Of course, you know I was wearing an A-2 and was very comfortable. ;)
Funny story … I see that all the time down here . The temp drops to the 60s and fur coats and parkas come out ….
But I guess its all relative to what your use to, because at the same time I see tourists coming down from up north, where the temps are in the single digits, and they’re on the beach swimming in that same 60 degree weather. :)

B-Man2

Not to get too far off track, but I'm at a stage where there's very little in-between for me anymore. Is it me or the weather?

It's either hot or cold -- or there are one or two weeks where I can wear an A-2 weight jacket without boiling or freezing.

Global warming, no doubt. ;)
So …. If it’s a choice between old age or Global warming ………. Yeah … I see your point ;)

Chandler

So …. If it’s a choice between old age or Global warming ………. Yeah … I see your point ;)
Well, I'm still surviving climate change. I only wish I could wear those in-between jackets more often. :)

Thank goodness for the ATF fleece tanker -- fills those not-quite freezing days and isn't too warm for the less-than temperate season. ;)