• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Ralph Edwards G-1- should I have it re-dyed?

B-Man2

I think the previous owner used some type of leather conditioner or preservative that may have turned color over the years . Try taking a light solution of soapy water and a soft scrub brush and scrub it down . I mean what’s the worst that can happen ? …. It doesn’t work and you have to have it re dyed ?

FlakMagnet

My thinking regarding (attempting?) a re-dye:
  • it's your jacket, you don't like the way it looks, which means you won't want to wear it, and it'll just take up closet space. And I can't say as I blame you - you make the color sound like boiled peas, and that really doesn't sound pleasant.
  • the historical aspect isn't really in play here: it's not a wartime jacket (1984? Ok, maybe someone wore it for Desert Storm), it's not goatskin, it sounds like it doesn't have a fur collar, and E-series jackets are very common. Will it be rare someday? Yeah, but everything becomes rare eventually. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you want with it now.
If you want to give it a try, go for it. Might be a good idea though to consult an expert on dying goatskin or even send it to one so they can do it.

I chuckled at the "boiled peas" comment. I will try and take more close up photos when I am back home. I have another G1 (Imperial Fashions), that has an obviously synthetic/Dynel collar, but the mouton on this Ralph Edwards one doesn't feel synthetic to me. (Then again, I could be wrong. Happy to be corrected here.)

The previous owner said he served with VMA-242, flying A-6 Intruders in the late 80s-early 90s, but now splits his time in NZ and the US. I didn't quiz him much as my time was limited

I appreciate all the advice, gents. Thank-you!

FlakMagnet

Here's some fit pics last night after picking them up. The colours look a bit weird in the picture

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 2.34.09 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 2.34.18 PM.png

ZuZu

I'm kinda shocked that it has a mouton collar, given that it's evidently an E-series jacket. I'm guessing it's a replacement? Yeah, a re-dye wouldn't be the worst idea.
99% sure it's not mouton.
Recently bought this from a retired A-6 pilot currently residing in the Antipodes. (On top of it fitting really well, for NZ$120, I couldn't resist!) The waistband and cuffs have been replaced, and I absolutely love the mouton, but the leather has faded into an ugly greenish brown (the pics/lighting doesn't really show it) which I don't really like. The label is a bit faded, so it's a bit hard to make out what the contract number is.

So, Forum chaps, should I have this re-dyed to it's original seal brown glory, or leave it and potentially never wear it?

View attachment 108145
View attachment 108147View attachment 108149
IMO not worth any effort- just enjoy as is. 1980's G-1s are just not really within the quality time period- even this RE. The leather is probably pressed cowhide. You're lucky on the collar as it doesn't look half bad! But again- IMO- 1980s G-1s weren't really flight jackets anymore- you'd be better off putting any money on a nice G-1 7823 'B' thru 'D' series on ebay or from somebody here.

Thomas Koehle

Well since the jacket is not yet of any historical significance (it might be in 50 yrs) do whatever you want with it

I‘d refuse any changes of color or any other mods on an early G1 for sure but not on a obviously 80ies jacket

Fit seems to be good to me - would be a pitty to just have her stored away

ties70

Well that jacket's from 1984, so I'd be really shocked to see an original mouton collar on that one.

Jan,

my 1984 Orchard G-1 had the typically blackish / dark grey colored collar you would expect from a late model G-1...I had it replaced with a nice peace of mouton...

Thing is:
My seamstress swears that the replaced Dynel collar is actually real fur on real leather. It looked sh*tty but was the real deal.

There was never a fading to red like shown above, though.

Ties

FlakMagnet

99% sure it's not mouton.

IMO not worth any effort- just enjoy as is. 1980's G-1s are just not really within the quality time period- even this RE. The leather is probably pressed cowhide. You're lucky on the collar as it doesn't look half bad! But again- IMO- 1980s G-1s weren't really flight jackets anymore- you'd be better off putting any money on a nice G-1 7823 'B' thru 'D' series on ebay or from somebody here.

I used to scour Ebay a lot, but I’ve sadly stopped doing so as the cost of shipping to NZ has gone a bit nuts since 2020.

B-Man2

It comes down to exactly what you said earlier. Re dye it, wear it and live happily ever after or……. Leave it the way it is……..and it lives in a closet for the next 10 years ….. pretty easy to figure this one out .

FlakMagnet

From the photos it ain’t look awful in any way to me - actually it’s a interesting variation …

I like the collar in particular …

If the jacket would be in 46 I’d ask you whether you might sell it and I’d definitely wear it the way it looks now
It’s a roomy 44, unfortunately. But I can take measurements if you like.

I also love the collar. Big fan of redheads. I also happened to be married to one :)

Thomas Koehle

It’s a roomy 44, unfortunately. But I can take measurements if you like.

I also love the collar. Big fan of redheads. I also happened to be married to one :)
Coincidence my wife is a redhead too …

If you might part with the jacket yes please check the measurements and send some more photos

Let us please move our conversation to PM

johnwayne

Bit late on this but personally I’d just give a good coat of Pecards or similar dressing/conditioner!