• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Ralph Edwards G-1- should I have it re-dyed?

FlakMagnet

Recently bought this from a retired A-6 pilot currently residing in the Antipodes. (On top of it fitting really well, for NZ$120, I couldn't resist!) The waistband and cuffs have been replaced, and I absolutely love the mouton, but the leather has faded into an ugly greenish brown (the pics/lighting doesn't really show it) which I don't really like. The label is a bit faded, so it's a bit hard to make out what the contract number is.

So, Forum chaps, should I have this re-dyed to it's original seal brown glory, or leave it and potentially never wear it?

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 9.48.46 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 9.48.55 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 9.49.04 AM.png

Pa12

Recently bought this from a retired A-6 pilot currently residing in the Antipodes. (On top of it fitting really well, for NZ$120, I couldn't resist!) The waistband and cuffs have been replaced, and I absolutely love the mouton, but the leather has faded into an ugly greenish brown (the pics/lighting doesn't really show it) which I don't really like. The label is a bit faded, so it's a bit hard to make out what the contract number is.

So, Forum chaps, should I have this re-dyed to it's original seal brown glory, or leave it and potentially never wear it?

View attachment 108145
View attachment 108147View attachment 108149
I’m not a navy jacket guy, but I would redye it and enjoy it. Wicked deal.

FlakMagnet

I can take more pics when I'm back at home, but I couldn't see any evidence of the mouton being a replacement. The cuffs certainly were as the thread colour is slightly different compared to everywhere else on the jacket.

entertainment

Good luck with re-dyeing a G-1 goat + its top coat...

I think it looks okay as it is, but the images don't really transcend your disagreement.

Just my two cents...;)

D
I agree with Dany: I don't think it needs a re-dye, though obviously have not seen it in person. Just for the record, I don't think Dynel should be replaced with mouton. I know this is against the consensus here, but it seems like a betrayal of historical accuracy to me.

Looks like a great jacket as long as it fits!

Pa12

Again, I know nothing about navy jackets, but is this the colour they normally turn into? If so , then I change my opinion and wouldn’t dye it. If it’s natural patina it could take a long time to get back to that state.

FlakMagnet

The pics don't do it justice, but in bright sun, the colour looks like a gross green-brown. Not really a fan, but I'll think about it some more before attempting a re-dye

B-Man2

Never seen a G-1 turn green before . That’s a first . Can’t even begin to think of why that would happen . What’s the current thoughts on that ?

mulceber

My thinking regarding (attempting?) a re-dye:
  • it's your jacket, you don't like the way it looks, which means you won't want to wear it, and it'll just take up closet space. And I can't say as I blame you - you make the color sound like boiled peas, and that really doesn't sound pleasant.
  • the historical aspect isn't really in play here: it's not a wartime jacket (1984? Ok, maybe someone wore it for Desert Storm), it's not goatskin, it sounds like it doesn't have a fur collar, and E-series jackets are very common. Will it be rare someday? Yeah, but everything becomes rare eventually. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do what you want with it now.
If you want to give it a try, go for it. Might be a good idea though to consult an expert on dying goatskin or even send it to one so they can do it.