• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-2 Winter Flight Jacket Found!

bobbyball

Fantastic find! These are super super rare and the condition appears amazing. The Japanese would go balmy for this :D

Only thing rarer IMO would be the first contract A-1 – only ever seen one in a museum in the US.

Enjoy this beauty and never let it go.

elbow392

Does anyone know who I could contact for an apprasal? If the family keeps it, donates it to a museum, or if we do sell it one day, we need an apraisal. I am thinking it should even be added to my insurance policy, but I think they will reguire an apraisal. I know talking about value can be frowned in on some forums, I'm not here just to find out what it's worth, but it is something I do need answered. I hope posting these pics has been helpful to everybody here, and I do appreciate all the help from the members!

John Lever

We could conduct as straw poll here to give an idea of what we would pay for it or you could list it as a Make an Offer on ebay to see what happens. The right buyer might be prepared to pay a high sum.

elbow392

Any help with value is appreciated! Again we have to decide what to do with it, but no matter what I still need an approx. value. Again if there is any body in Michigan who could appraise this, I am willing to pay to have this done.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
When John sold his B-2 it (surprisingly?) didn't fetch anything like that amount.

John's jacket was a B-1, so less practical, but probably even harder to find .... so yeah, you would think that the values would be similar.

bobbyball

I would also agree that the £1500 mark would be about right – however to a jacket collector these are a rare thing and at auction it could go higher. I recently bought a Buzz B-2 as I love the jacket and this is an expensive repro so who knows. The fact it is pre-war will put some people off but this IMO makes it even more desirable than a plain A-2.

John Lever

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
Where are all the pockets ?
This jacket looks like it had two...

• The pockets were removed after a Technical Order in May 1934.
Ah yes, we know this, but I mean are they all in a box somewhere ?
And why does this jacket have evidence that it had two pockets ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Ah yes, we know this, but I mean are they all in a box somewhere ?

Next to the poodle tails? :) I doubt that they were kept ...

And why does this jacket have evidence that it had two pockets ?

Where was the second pocket? I am probably looking at the wrong picture.

Full Gear shows more than one version of the B-1/B-2. It appears to me that the first version had no pockets, then a left-breast pocket was added, later to be removed.

John Lever

P1070045.jpg

Clearly there were two pockets at some point. Does the B-2 suit have two pockets ....?

asiamiles

Curiously the stitching for the right pocket appears different to the left one.

Ah yes, John's jacket was a B-1 not a B-2, and IMO more desirable, and sold for less than £800 while a B-2 at the same time sold for $2,827.99. Just shows you can't predict the value of these jackets.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Clearly there were two pockets at some point. Does the B-2 suit have two pockets ....?

The B-1/B-2 suits were two-piece, so you simply added the appropriate A-1, or A-2 trousers. There was an earlier 1920's one-piece suit, with a pocket on the left ... but the style was different, and it buttoned over to one side.

Thankyou for the photo, I see what you mean now. The jacket has so many stitch tracks it's hard to say what's going on ... removed pocket, patches, perhaps a name strip, maybe a later rigger pocket, who knows. It's certainly had an interesting life, and as Miles notes, the two outlines don't match.

handworn

A friend of mine-- not even a jacket collector, just a militaria collector in general-- actually has a B-2 labeled a size 48! With provenance, too. I keep meaning to get photographs to post.

Falcon_52 said:
Thanks for the pictures, elbow392. The jacket looks to be in amazing shape given its age. B-2s are rare enough but in a size 44! :shock: Fantastic! I find it interesting that the zipper has a double trunnion puller like some Irvin zips. I didn't know those early Talons had that kind of puller. Great stuff. Take good care of that beauty.

Noel