• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original B-1

Stony

Found and purchased an original B-1 at a militaria show on Saturday that was in outstanding shape. J.C. should be receiving it in today's mail, so hopefully he'll be posting pictures soon. I had never seen one in the flesh, and after calling J.C. about it while at the show, he told me how rare they were, so I bought it.

asiamiles

Stony said:
Found and purchased an original B-1 at a militaria show on Saturday that was in outstanding shape.

I'm curious how much you had to pay for such a rarity as I've never seen an original offered for sale before? Indeed, the only pic I know of is that wonderful one on the cover of HBFL.

Stony

I'm curious how much you had to pay for such a rarity as I've never seen an original offered for sale before? Indeed, the only pic I know of is that wonderful one on the cover of HBFL.

Less than what it was worth for sure. It's now the property of J.C., so I'll leave it up to him if he wishes to disclose any information.

asiamiles

Stony said:
Less than what it was worth for sure. It's now the property of J.C., so I'll leave it up to him if he wishes to disclose any information.

So you purchased it for John, rather than yourself? Something like that must be almost priceless...worth thousands rather than hundreds.

Stony

So you purchased it for John, rather than yourself? Something like that must be almost priceless...worth thousands rather than hundreds.

Could be, but I don't know. We'd need a buyer to determine what someone was willing to pay. Since no one that I know has seen one for sale, who knows. If someone has, then that information might set a benchmark. Either way, I was doing someone a favor, not out to make money in this case.

John Lever

Stony said:

Could be, but I don't know. We'd need a buyer to determine what someone was willing to pay. Since no one that I know has seen one for sale, who knows. If someone has, then that information might set a benchmark. Either way, I was doing someone a favor, not out to make money in this case.
The most important thing is that it's now in the possession of a creative person who will share it with others.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I'm not really concerned with the price paid, I imagine it was a deal, but I am curious about the details.

Which contract, which version, with/without pocket? .... I hope it doesn't remain a mystery for long.

Stony

I'm not really concerned with the price paid, I imagine it was a deal, but I am curious about the details.

Which contract, which version, with/without pocket? .... I hope it doesn't remain a mystery for long.

The manufacturer was Switlik, but I forgot the contract number. The pocket had been removed as J.C. said was pretty much the norm because for some reason most people didn't like it on the left chest.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Stony said:
The manufacturer was Switlik, but I forgot the contract number. The pocket had been removed as J.C. said was pretty much the norm because for some reason most people didn't like it on the left chest.

Thanks Stony,

Switlik seems to be the only known maker of the B-1.

Yes, the pockets are a rarity ... their removal was required after the May 1934 Technical Order No.13-1-4, modifying B-1, B-2, and A-4 suits.

Stony

Thanks Stony,

Switlik seems to be the only known maker of the B-1.

Yes, the pockets are a rarity ... their removal was required after the May 1934 Technical Order No.13-1-4, modifying B-1, B-2, and A-4 suits.

J.C. told me there was another maker of the B-1 before Switlik, but I forget who that was.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Stony said:
J.C. told me there was another maker of the B-1 before Switlik, but I forget who that was.

Now that's intriguing ...

Werber may have made them as part of Order No. W535 AC 4665. Prior to that Full Gear records A.G. Spalding & Bros. as makers of 1920's flying suits.

buzzthetower

Administrator
Photos of the Switlik B-1 jacket. It's been modified by removal of the front pocket. It had a name tag at one point, and one owner had the last name of Baumgartner, with that name written on the tape of one of the sleeve zippers. The elastic band placed behind the collar is missing, but the rest of the jacket is present, and in very solid condition.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/B1_Switlik/

John