• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original A1 Pictures anyone?

oose

HI all,
Just wondered if anyone out there has dug up any pictures of A1 Jacket, I thought I'd found one at Stewart leather Jackets, but something about it seemed familiar and then I realised why! lets just say those moths have been very active over the last few years. Although I must say its broken nicely.

Jacket at Stewart Leather Jacket archive

and the jacket when nearly new....

All the best
stu

oose

Hi DR H,

I looking for pictures of modern original A1, I think that Stewart leather Jackets think that its an original as its on there archive page. I know this topic has been covered before, just wondered if anything has cropped up recently that I've missed.

http://www.stewart.it/en/archive/garments/

All the best
stu

Atticus

oose said:
HI all,
Just wondered if anyone out there has dug up any pictures of A1 Jacket, I thought I'd found one at Stewart leather Jackets, but something about it seemed familiar and then I realised why! lets just say those moths have been very active over the last few years. Although I must say its broken nicely.

]

All the best
stu

Hmmmmm. The folks at Stewart Leather display what they think is an original A-1, but which is actually a distressed repro....and Steven N. is seen wearing the repro before it was distressed.

My friends, in law enforcement, we call that a.......clue.

AF

oose

I don't wish to smere Steve's good name and reputation here on the forum! :D , he was always nice to me and was the first person to reply to my first post a VLJ, I suspect that the jacket was doctored by a later party as Steve tended to move his jackets on quite quickly.

Thanks for the Eastman link, I had forgot about that one.

All the best
stu

asiamiles

Atticus said:
The folks at Stewart Leather display what they think is an original A-1, but which is actually a distressed repro...
Not to mention an A-2 which isn't an A-2.

johnwayne

The A1 repro isnt a good repro either or rather faithful repro - it's got A2/G1 pockets!

Cheers
Wayne

Dr H

Might be mistaken, but it appears to be in horsehide too...

As well as the poor pockets (not only G-1, but also the pencil slot is on the wrong side for an A-1), the sleeve profiles are also on the wide side.

Although there are some flaws in the reproduction (particularly the button positioning, depth of collar - a little wide, depth of pockets - a little short, depth of waistband - a little short), you still have to go a fair way to beat the ELC offering for the look. If you examine the ELC A-1 versus the original on the ELC website, it might simply be that the design has been tidied up to suit modern taste - the shawl collar is disproportionately small on the original and the deeper waistband does result in a foreshortened leather body.

JMHO...

Atticus

So this jacket is a Lost Words A-1? I'm pretty sure Steve bought a Goodwear A-1 just before I bought mine. In fact, I kinda remember that John was making his when John and I were hammering out the details of mine. I was worried the Stewart Leather A-1 amy have been the Goodwear.

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Atticus said:
So this jacket is a Lost Words A-1? I'm pretty sure Steve bought a Goodwear A-1 just before I bought mine.

Yes, this one was Lost Worlds, and Steve sold it as the sleeves were stove pipe like, and way too long for him. I don't remember a Good Wear, but he followed this with a couple of Eastmans, one of which he sold to Miles.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Yes, this one was Lost Worlds, and Steve sold it as the sleeves were stove pipe like, and way too long for him. I don't remember a Good Wear, but he followed this with a couple of Eastmans, one of which he sold to Miles.
Yes, my ELC A-1 came from Steve. Only worn it a couple of times and wonder if it might have to be sacrificed if a D.Lewis jacket becomes a possibility.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Incidentally, the Stewart jacket isn't necessarily the one once owned by Steve ... there's more than one with that artwork.