• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open VLJ

tater

Re: Open VLJ.

If the membership were to increase tenfold, would the signal increase tenfold? What about the noise? More posts doesn't necessarily translate into more useful content. Most of what I have learned here was reading old posts (I'm quite new).

On a practical level, this forum can be found via google. Do a few "nitty gritty" searches on A-2s, for example, and you WILL find this forum. Obviously a certain critical mass is desirable, but I'm not sure how allowing read-only lurkers makes a huge difference. Someone lurks and reads, but in order to increase the signal of the site, he still has to register to post. If he never does, he's added nothing that you seek. Once registered, you're likely to post (I have, and I know little to nothing on the jackets, just the war and planes).

Cobblers161

For me it's like popping into my regular (read pub) for a pint and a knowledgable chat with like minded brethren. If I need info I generally get it, If I can help I try. The best thing is we all pretty much have a damn good idea of who everyone else is. The last thing it needs is to be a free for all, I mean, at least lets leave something in our lives sacred.

It's familiar, it's free of troublemakers and best of all it's a wealth of knowledge! Goddamn Encyclopedia. I love it!

Mines a pint of Harveys btw :D

Steve27752

tamoko said:
tater said:
tamoko said:
I do not understand why guests do not have the right to read, before they are registered and can write?
Did anybody pay before he saw product? FL was only example, this is a lot of very "special" forum that are open for read.

It was posted above that the closed format allows for easier defense against spammers, etc.

It's not like registration is difficult, after all.

Do you know, how reader without right to write can spam?
If you do not know reader can only read, no other permissions.

I am Administrator on other forums and create portal blogs, networks.
I know how it works. This is no dangers if you open for read, this is why i am asking.
I see only one reason, if people will close club, but it make bad influence for forum development, member activity is reflecting this.

Other "statistic" which i found not fanny.
Looks like eBay most important on VLJ.

"eBay / Auction Talk" Topics 1924 Posts 12673 ?
"General Flight Jacket Discussion" Topics 861 Posts 10486
"Vintage" VLJ Topics 378 Posts 4187

Most users ever online was 25 on Mon 28 Apr, 2008

0->3 users in 2010 this is progress ?

You do not seem to understand..............We DO NOT WANT IT! we are happy as we are!

Roughwear

Tamoko you seem to be a lone voice. Most people seem happy with the status quo. However I would like to see more registered members actually posting or posting more often.

philip.ed

Re: .

I can see the argument; many members won't sign up because they can't view the board; rather like not buying an item unless you can see it first ;)
However, I feel the argument that this is like a 'private club' outweighs that. I say this, because I joined to view the process. I was, at first, put off my having to join, but joining is free, and if the knowledge shared was as good as on other forums (e.g the RAF forum) then I was willing to join. Also, I was familiar already with a number of members here ;)

I think it boils down to the fact that joining is free. In essence, one can sign up, view the board, and choose to post if they wish. No harm done ;)

The only other oposing argument is that the whole 'private club' feeling may put people off. I quite like it though :mrgreen:

I hope this is a fair analysis from a fairly new member?

Rutger

Prime advantage for VLJ to be open to readers would be that new visitors will actually see that this is a forum that provides thorough knowledge on the subject of flight jackets. I can imagine that in itself would allow VLJ to become more widely known and attract more people with a serious interest in flight jackets. There's a lot of bull541t on the www to be found, let alone on ebay where hundreds of jackets are being sold as authentic flight jackets. A forum like VLJ is a valuable source in that respect.

After that, I can imagine people are more likely to register and post.

I know I had already been buying (modern) flight jackets like the CWU and similar jackets for over a year, and although a very active user of google on the subject it took me a surprisingly long time before I stumbled upon VLJ. Well, I'm not into leather anyway ;) , nylon it is, so that may have been a factor.

There are forums that allow new visitors to view say 10 or 20 postings, after that requiring people to register themselves.

On the other hand, let the powers that be do what they want, and if they're happy the way it is, so be it.
I'm not familiar with owning or maintaining a forum, so I can't tell about the risks and problems that have to be dealt with.

Rutger

dmar836

I don't want to dog on Tamoko. Nothing wrong with asking - it's a legitimate concern.

It does seems rude and somewhat cowardly to delete your posts once others have responded to them. That may be too strong but think about it. I certainly understand the frustration if you've changed your feelings or just given up on the subject but that's not fair ball. I have left posts I regretted typing even when they made me look like an ass(and this may be one of them!)

You have three pages of responses here and you've pulled all the questions and left only the answers.
JMO
Dave

TankBuster

dmar836 said:
I don't want to dog on Tamoko. Nothing wrong with asking - it's a legitimate concern.

It does seems rude and somewhat cowardly to delete your posts once others have responded to them. That may be too strong but think about it. I certainly understand the frustration if you've changed your feelings or just given up on the subject but that's not fair ball. I have left posts I regretted typing even when they made me look like an ass(and this may be one of them!)

You have three pages of responses here and you've pulled all the questions and left only the answers.
JMO
Dave

That is the only thing I would change on this forum. (Being able to edit posts days and/or months later) On most forums, after roughly 15 minutes a post can't be edited. (Only by a moderator) I've seen alot of editing on here over the years. Some to save pride, others to make themselves look more intelligent, ect. Really I don't care all that much, but I have always thought it could lead to trouble in a for sale ad or a discussion regarding a Ebay auction.
As to this, it really isn't a big deal. The question was asked, and the answer has been given.
I agree that I wouldn't like to open the forum either. We don't need to give Bill any more work to do! Let's let him enjoy his retirement! ;) :lol:

Roughwear

Strange behaviour IMO. The thread was encouraging people to think more deeply than usual about the forum and now by editing his posts Tamoko has deprived future members of the opportunity to read about his views. It is refreshing to have a robust exchange of views (provided the people don't insult each other) every now and then.

dmar836

I didn't see anything particularly akin to flaming Tamoko for his concerns but I now see all 500+ of his posts are deleted. Now there will be at least 500 dangling responses out there. I was hoping to find other posts of his where I might offer encouragement. Now I have no idea what he collected/wore/thought. I guess he is still a member but apparently he felt disgusted by the whole thing. That's really too bad. Been there, done that.
Dave
KC, USA

siddhartha

Administrator

This forum isn't meant to be exclusionary, rather, we've tried to keep the peace, and make it a forum that's attractive to all members here.

Unfortunately, that comes at the cost of Bill's vigilance, which is his precious time spent monitoring the potential members, and also checking out postings to make sure things stay on course.

I'd love to have it totally open, and unmoderated (and we try to keep moderation to a minimum) but it's impossible.

Just a week ago, I saw a former member who used to cause trouble here causing trouble on another forum. This is a situation we'd like to avoid if possible.

Best,

Chris

Roughwear

Re: VLJ-open to all

Dave, this is extremely sad to hear. Tamoko must have felt very strongly about allowing guest access. It does not seem ethical that a member can delete all his posts like that through "editing", thus depriving everyone else of useful information.

bfrench

Administrator

Roughwear said:
Dave, this is extremely sad to hear. Tamoko must have felt very strongly about allowing guest access. It does not seem ethical that a member can delete all his posts like that through "editing", thus depriving everyone else of useful information.

Hi, Guys,

I had a quick look at the forum permissions - it seems we either have editing or not - off or on.

There may be an add on where the editing function is on a time limit - I'll look into it.

That is, if you want that feature.

Cheers,
Bill French

PS - btw - Tamoko must have spent a busy evening deleting all those posts - it's not a feature that is user automatic.

better duck

Cobblers161 said:
For me it's like popping into my regular (read pub) for a pint and a knowledgable chat with like minded brethren. If I need info I generally get it, If I can help I try. The best thing is we all pretty much have a damn good idea of who everyone else is. (....) It's familiar, it's free of troublemakers and best of all it's a wealth of knowledge! Goddamn Encyclopedia. I love it!
My feelings exactly!

Cobblers161 said:
Mines a pint of Harveys btw :D
I'll just have a pint of lager, although a pint of Newcastle Brown would go down nicely too!

better duck

bfrench said:
There may be an add on where the editing function is on a time limit - I'll look into it. That is, if you want that feature.
Cheers,
Bill French

I think that would be a good idea.
Deleting would still have to be possible, although only by a request to the moderators, wouldn't it?

better duck

dmar836 said:

JMO
Dave

Luckily some of us responded to Tamoko's request by copying his original text, so the responses mainly don't 'hang in the air'. I also can see what his concern is, his suggestion is OK, it is a matter of choice. I also regret his wiping his posts of the slate: but instead of judging, I just wonder: what triggers such a strong response in what seems to us a rather down to earth discussion about an aspect of 'our' VLJ? As far as I can see, none of the responses were in the least rude or otherwise unpleasant...

Tamoko, would you please go into this for us?