• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now beat this! The new Gordon & Ferguson M-422

A

Anonymous

Thanks!
That is the golden which is not currently available, but expecting in it 10 days.

Chris217

I really like the Willis Geiger M-422!!!

I had an orginal one years ago that I could kick myself for getting rid of. I just might have to pick one of these up from you.

Marv

Just been comparing the BK G&F M422a and the ELC G&F M422a and there seems to be a few differences between the two.

The shade of goatskin on the ELC seems to be a lighter shade of brown than the BK, the pocket flaps also seem more angular on the ELC and which of the two has is the correct shade of mouton and knit colour for the G&F.

Which of these is true to the original G&F contract..........I do like ELC's version but I really like the BK version and I am looking for the most accurate repro.

Any help or original G&F M422a pics would be fantastic. :)

A

Anonymous

I will help you.
I have 3-4 original G&F M422. They are all different shades.
You are right, the Kelso G&F is darker in the photos, but we matched the color of the second batch of goatskins to the most well preserved original I have. So if you order BK you get the right color.

The color of the Eastman is much lighter than any of my G&F originals (which will undergo repairs and be sold here soon)

The Eastman's angular pocket flaps are off.
The Eastman mouton is the correct color and Kelso has ordered the same.

Also, the Kelso knits are darker than originals so ELC's are closer but still not perfect.
Kelso has found an original knit (with the purple tint) and has sent it to the USA knit maker who is doing lab tests to nail the color.

The pocket snap used on Kelso is the same as with originals i.e. black with brown enamel cap.

For the G&F label, I don't think there is anything to compare.

Also, the color or thread is a matter of taste. My guess is that these were made with dark brown thread, which has faded over the years in the original examples to medium brown or lighter. ELC has copied that.

One last note, I see in the original that ELC used the pocket flaps are a little distorted. ELC copied that and exaggerated a bit. The pocket flaps of my originals don't display this kind of distortion.

I hope this was helfpful.

m444uk

Marv said:
Just been comparing the BK G&F M422a and the ELC G&F M422a and there seems to be a few differences between the two.

The shade of goatskin on the ELC seems to be a lighter shade of brown than the BK, the pocket flaps also seem more angular on the ELC and which of the two has is the correct shade of mouton and knit colour for the G&F.

Which of these is true to the original G&F contract..........I do like ELC's version but I really like the BK version and I am looking for the most accurate repro.

Any help or original G&F M422a pics would be fantastic. :)

One notable feature of the G&F is how the front panel wraps around to the back. The back belt is narrow. Here's a size 44 original I used to own.

m422a.jpg

The ELC G&F size 42 bellow has a wider configuration more typically of later G-1 designs.

reverse_view_flat-2.jpg

(photo copyright c. chapman)

A

Anonymous

indeed Eastman back is off

ELCM422A_back.jpg

plus it seems that they also had darker knits before

airfrogusmc

Plus the gap in the seams by the biswing seam and the shoulder seam is much wider on the Eastman than most originals.

stanier

Apologies if I've missed an update somewhere, but are these available now with the golden mouton? What's the leadtime please?

Cheers

Jeff M

stanier said:
Apologies if I've missed an update somewhere, but are these available now with the golden mouton? What's the leadtime please?

Cheers

From another thread from a couple of weeks ago;

PLATON said:
Available now

2_COLOR_MOUTON.jpg

Quoted shipping time "2 to 3 weeks after order is placed".