• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not Meaning To Start Another...

greyhound52

Atticus said:
greyhound52 said:
I will be in your neck of woods down at Ft. Bragg for two weeks begining Monday. Sounds like I need to pack my long underwear. Guess I will be taking my goretex jacket and my CWU-45. Of course I always pack an A2 just in case. :D

By the middle of next week you'll probably be OK with an L-2b and a pair of jeans. This cold weather won't last long. In 1989 we had a cold snap that provided Eastern North Carolina with the only white Christmas I've ever seen---the temperature actually dipped below zero one night in early January. But by the first week of February in that same year, I remember being dressed in shorts and a T-shirt.

AF
Good thing I picked up another L-2B from a forum member. Might give it a try in NC.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Atticus said:
Zoomer, I once saw a mule wearing a straw hat, but I can't say that I've never seen a sheep wearing a helmet. It must be a Northern thing.

Say what now?

Sheep-wearing-a-knitted-wool-cap-with-pompom-Rita-May-200579.jpg

zoomer

Sheep need helmets if they fly. Because they do not so much fly as plummet.

Puppied out on the A-2 plus M-444 layering idea. Probably too much of a statement for the first night of class anyway.

Instead I wore a sweater, and was hot indoors. :( I loathe overheated public buildings.

But that '444 is really REALLY warm. :mrgreen:

donsom

We're in a cold snap at -15C to -20C with wind-chills much lower, here in southern Ontario .... and lotsa snow ... which is T-shirt weather in Saskatchewan and Alberta.

C..C..Cold.... :shock:

better duck

We've just had a very cold spell here, with lot of skating going on. Time to wear my GW Dubow and my ELC B3 over it! Quite comfortable too! Now it's thawing again, so I just wear the Dubow.

usafwso

From about 10am to 3pm, it's Hawaiian shirt weather. At night it's MA-1 weather. Typical winter desert weather. ;)

As weasel loader mentioned, he's right and I've got a slight sunburn and my Hawaiian shirts here too!

MikeyB-17

Warmer and wetter down my way-got down as far as minus 10 in places last week, but we're back up to 5-6 degrees, bucketing down with rain, and windy. Typical Cornish weather. A-2's been out, but only under a waterproof.

TankBuster

I'm beyond any of my flight jackets. -26 Actual Air Temp! - 45 Wind Chill :eek: !
All the schools were cancelled. Coldest day in 5 years here in beautiful MN! :D
I guess I may need a B-3 or a Parka after all!! :lol:

zoomer

You need that Navy electrified goatskin suit on eBay.
Then you need to rewire it for battery pack use. (The original took 24 volts! :eek: )

bfrench

Administrator
Hi, Folks,

Temps are about average for around here - Niagara Falls, between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. High today of -11ºC (13ºF) and a low of -18ºC (0ºF) with a wind chill of -25ºC (-13ºF).

The sky is overcast with low cloud giving us a snow haze with just enough accumulation to make everything very slippery.

Went outside about noon and cleared off the walkway and driveway - only needed a t-shirt under a M-422a - even after spending a half hour goofing with the neighbour's dog it didn't feel chilly.

I think that as long as you are moving around these intermediate jackets will keep you warm - that and some kind of head gear - didn't wear gloves.

Now if I were sitting in a cockpit at these temps I'd want something a lot warmer after more than a few minutes.

Bill French

Atticus

Well...seventeen degrees on the porch this morning at cat-feeding time. The cat came out just long enough to gobble down a few bites of food, and then disappeared back into his heated cabaña. I expect that he is still there.

Broke out the N-2A for the ride to work. Yes, I understand that some of you South Canadians (Clark, Fishmeok) are chuckling to yourselves as you read this. Right now, you're probably beginning to despair that you'll never see the mercury as high as seventeen again---and if you did you'd be rocking an unzipped A-2 and a T-shirt. But to me, this is freakin' cold. And tomorrow's supposed to be ten degrees colder. Besides, when will I get to wear my N-jackets if I don't wear 'em now?

The old farts at the coffee shop seemed to like my jacket. So did our twenty-three year old receptionist. I appreciated her opinion even more than their's. What is it about vintage Air Force blue that so quickly catches people's attention? Interestingly, a lot of defendants around New Bern wear cheap, oversized, N-2A knockoffs. I spent most of the early morning happily pointing out, to anyone who would listen, all the differences between those crappy jackets and a real, early-fifties N-2A.

AF

jack aranda

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we've been breaking records for warmth for the past week--days in the mid-high '60's, nights in the low '50's. Perfect A-2 weather, and, I've been enjoying my GW Dubow a lot. This is due to change next week--we might actually have a little rain. As for the freezing temps elsewhere in the cosmos, this is why I live here. I'm not a cold weather kid! Forty degrees F might as well be Antarctica to me. Stay warm, buckaroos.

Swing

Weather Channel says it's -2 in my home town right now, and our high today is suppsed to be zero. With the sun out it certainly doesn't feel that cold. Spent a half hour outside with the dog at lunch time, I was bundled up good so only my face was exposed, and it didn't get that cold. I'm sure as soon as that sun goes down I'll be singing a different tune!

~Swing

Chandler

Car thermometer read -23° on my way into work this morning (I didn't want to hear what the wind chill was reading), -3° right now -- heatwave!

Chandler

zoomer

Yesterday afternoon (temp: -8°, wind chill around -15°) I tried the A-2/M-444 experiment. Results not great. The A-2 (RMNZ horsehide) is as warm as a heavy sweater under the sheepskin, but unlike the sweater, it does NOT breathe and causes perspiration after only a few minutes of activity. When I got indoors I was way too warm and both jackets had to come off. Heading back to the parking lot, I left the '444 open, zipped up the A-2 and tucked my muffler into its popped collar.

8° here today and no wind chill. Wore the '444 with 2 tees, long and short sleeved, and a tweed suit vest. Felt good.

Heading for 30° and up this weekend and into next week!