• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominate a classic repro jacket

John Lever

Just a bit of fun let's nominate our favourite classic jacket. It may not necessarily be the most accurate but it must be iconic.
Mine would be the Eastman 1942 pattern Irvin.

ButteMT61

Assuming not having to be a military issue, it's the (Californian) Ventura. It's the perfect jacket IMO for the feel of old without feeling I'm trying to be retro.

bretron

Man this is a tough one. For A2, I go with Andrew's GW Monarch. And civvy, I'd go with my NorShor NS1 featuring JC's veg seal goat....

SuinBruin

Honestly you could pick just about any Good Wear A-2 and it would qualify. I'd go with the Bronco because that's what I have and I think it's a great contract, but John's Monarch, Dubow, Cable, and Star patterns are probably more iconic.

Nickb123

Having never handled an Eastman, I'd say their Werber. Everytime I see it I feel it really stands out.

Orlan

For me is my GW Californian Venture, when I wear this look classic highlights, with a jacket little seen and unique, at least where I live! :eek: :eek:

I think my answer on this changes every time I see someone post a review and/or pics of a new acquisition (especially with some of the newer hides I've seen lately). I'm admittedly partial to GW jackets as I've owned a few and have really enjoyed getting to know John Chapman & Vickie in my communications with them. I totally recognize that Bill Kelso, RM, Eastmans and a few others are awesome...I just haven't owned or seen one personally! Thus, my biased top 3 would be...

1) The GW Rough Wear 1401 in russet. The 27752 and the 1401 are the Rough Wears that I've seen...I really like the cut, collar construction, pocket shape, etc. Extra points given that Rough Wear was based in Middletown, PA (I'm a Pennsyltucky native) and that the great Jimmy Stewart wore one (a 1401).

2) The GW Monarch...Andrew posted a stellar example of his that I think is unbeatable. Love the Monarch-specific details such as the unique, bolder collar and the misaligned sleeve construction. And, in another historical "tip of the cap", it's what Yeager wore which is bonus points from me.

3) The GW Aero 18775 in seal with red knits. Such a unique jacket that stands out so much from the others...the easiest for my semi-knowledgeable eyes to spot and I think a really sharp jacket.

johnwayne

I'm with you Diamond Dave, GW Doniger - I've had mine poss 5 years so not sure if 1st generation? Love wearing it - still feels great every time I put it on!
Cheers
Wayne

Roughwear

For me I would nominate the following as I can't fix on just one!

Lewis Leather's current Bronx jacket which is a great repro of their 1956 to the 1970s Bronx MC jacket.

Eastman's 1933 Werber and 1941 Perry mixed batch B-3.

GW's Doniger, Dubow and Monarch.

archbury918

I can't settle on one either..
GW Rough Wear 27752 best A-2 I have. Wears like a second skin
ELC Early Cable 23382 in russet goat. The developed shade is absolutely beautiful
ELC B-3 Merino, (once owned by JL.)) It's hands down the most gorgeous jacket I've ever owned!