• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice WWII USN M-422a just listed

Pulling the listing was lame. A lot of otherwise interested bidders (myself included) will probably now avoid your second auction just on principle.
Next time just man-up and let the dice roll.

Andrew

If you want to keep your jacket the way you are going is the way to do it.

You might get lucky and find someone who just hits the bin button but it's not likely to happen. You can't make people pay what you reckon something's worth, but I have found over the years i'll always sell for a good price if I leave it open to the market with no reserve and no controls on what people have to do- they usually get carried away anyway in a quest to be the winner. I find the value of an item is only what it's worth on the day- not what you would like it to be.

I personally hate reserve auctions and avoid them- they don't go anywhere as people know that if they want it it is on the buyers terms.

My IT guy gave me some good advice about 7 years ago- If you want to sell it just bite the bullet and list it at a low amount and watch it go up quickly in the first few days, get some interest in it then in last few seconds if it really is good it'll get a few good bids- it's actually fun.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
My IT guy gave me some good advice about 7 years ago- If you want to sell it just bite the bullet and list it at a low amount and watch it go up quickly in the first few days, get some interest in it then in last few seconds if it really is good it'll get a few good bids- it's actually fun.

That's absolutely right ... I've even tested it by listing identical items with different opening bids.

And the theory, that you can't go up in price, but you can come down, is wrong ... re-listing is seldom successful, even at a lower price.

Peter Graham

Jaydee, the description of your jacket started at nice, went through immaculate and ended up at unbelieveable. The original description is accurate. Get in the real world. It’s a nice, small sized M-422A with no label and damaged cuffs. It will not make you rich. Live with it.

asiamiles

The end time of the relisting was something like 6 o'clock in the morning here (a few hours later than the original listing), and I ended up forgetting about it. :x

It sold for $199. While I might've been hoping to get it for less I would probably have bid higher than that on the original listing, so while we will never know for sure it seems quite likely that the seller lost money by pulling it and relisting it with a reserve, as at least one other forum member expressed an interest in the jacket. The fact that the reserve can't have been that much higher than the original opening bid price of $175 makes the decision seem all the more puzzling.

asiamiles

jacketimp said:
guess seller has reasons for doin' things his way.........second time around.

at least it sold!
Of course, a seller can handle their auctions however they wish.

Though it would have sold first time had it been allowed to run. I thought the seller had had a major rethink and wanted considerably more than $175 for it...so okay. So one would imagine the reserve to have been in the $250 area at least, but the reserve can only have been about $20 more than the original starting price if that. Just seems odd.