• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos of A-2's

Edward

nice arm length for this guy.
Sergeant Ben Phelper, a ball turret gunner of the 385th Bomb Group.
FRE_004906.jpg

Edward

most of these guys are using their ditch whistles as zipper pulls.

A group of 376th Fighter Squadron, 361st Fighter Group pilots standing in front of a P-51 Mustang with Flight Leader Lt. Clarence E. Sullivan Jr. (centre). Lt. Norman L. Smith (left), Lt. Allen J. Chalmers (second right). Little Walden, Essex, spring 1944.

media-18150.jpeg

Steve27752

most of these guys are using their ditch whistles as zipper pulls.

A group of 376th Fighter Squadron, 361st Fighter Group pilots standing in front of a P-51 Mustang with Flight Leader Lt. Clarence E. Sullivan Jr. (centre). Lt. Norman L. Smith (left), Lt. Allen J. Chalmers (second right). Little Walden, Essex, spring 1944.

View attachment 12002
The tall chap 2nd left is wearing a Warrant Officer cap badge.

Edward

media8300.jpeg

photo was taken after the 29/7/43 mission to Kiel. from left to right Chester S. Voorhis (BTG) L.J.Fecteau (RO) M.L.Lawrence (Bomb) Joseph W. Kane (Pilot) James C. Meade(Nav)Harry Cornell (C/P) Leroy Pikelis (Eng) Missing from picture is Gene Foster (Lwg) KIA J.J. Vachout (TG) MIA later switched to KIA Charles B. Lozenski (Rwg) Badly wounded spent the next 5 weeks 1 day in the 12th Evac Hospital

Edward

527th Bomb Squadron, 379th Bomb Group, Poses For The Photographer At An 8Th Air Force Base In England On 25 June 1944. no other info.

I often wonder how many missions flown when these crew photos are taken. some are all big smiles... tells me maybe they have yet to go or their first mission is in the bag but was a milk run... some photos you can tell some if not all aren't quite so much in a mood or are indifferent... tells me they're been on a number of missions, plenty of close calls and maybe a loss of friends...

this crew looks like they've been out a few times... good missions but concern is setting in.

media-38738.jpeg

B-Man2

crew of the 524th Bomb Squadron, 379th Bomb Group pose beside the Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress" "The Sweater [Girl]" at an 8th Air Force base in England, 1 October 1943.

View attachment 20754
Every time I look at these photos I can’t help wondering did this crew or did that crew survive the war and get to go home and get married , raise a family or move on with their lives . I hope they did . I hope they all did. The last time I posted this comment Smithy was kind enough to weigh in and let me know how a particular bunch did and that they all made it home. Good news ...

Edward

A crew of The 379th Bomb Group poses in front of a Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress" at an 8th Air Force base in England on 29 September 1944 No more info... love the hand painted names on the jackets. the previous photo from yesterday had the same on a few...

media-39048.jpeg

Edward

same photo session from my post yesterday of "The Sweater" crew but puppy is held by a different crew member. (the guy bottom second from left that was holding puppy in previous photo has no wrist cuffs on his A-2)

media-39047.jpeg