• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos of A-2's

Smithy

And the guy who teaches the lesson with the machine gun has the longest cuffs on A2 I've ever seen.

One of the things you start to notice more if you start looking for it is how period photos from the period demonstrably show that not all wartime A-2 knits were these "short" versions that we think they all were. Secondary problem here is wool shrinks over time - don't worry not over a few years so relax about your A-2's knits ;-) but over decades it does due to the drying out of the fibres, so originals with original knits don't necessarily have the same length they had when issued.

I'm probably going off on a slight tangent but Burt and Jan and I were talking about this kind of issue the other day, about the fact that how originals appear now isn't how they appeared or behaved when new.

The epiphany moment for me was a few years back when I was at the museum with the technical curator and we were looking at an original A-2 jacket. He knew I was a fan of flight jackets and I said something like, "it's great to handle an original from that time, it's like a time machine", whereupon he said to me, "you do know that this isn't how this jacket would have looked, draped and felt back in the war? It is like it is now because of 70 years of ageing and storage conditions. It would have looked and felt quite different back then."

Greg Gale

E1EDAE75-5CB1-4E97-8A91-69AEDF1A1CFE.jpeg

YoungMedic

Great photo. He looks to be about 19 years old and is having a tough time fitting into his oversized jacket , but I bet this guy was probably in charge of a B-17 bomber and its entire crew and has a set of huevos on him that would do any of us proud.

I was thinking 17 Burt , and maybe a size 36 at best :) Not in the trouser department anyway.