• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos of A-2's

Kermit3D

lieutenant-colonel-james-averell-clark-briefs-usaaf-north-american-picture-id792918253

Ed Rooney

He’s a Lt Col, so probably the “old man”. No one’s going to say anything.

You see cap toe oxfords and monk straps quite often in these old photos, but rarely a wing tip.

Great photograph !
I got a bit of a laugh, out of the brown “wing tips” shoes the guy holding the map is wearing. Not regulation, but looking stylish .

ausreenactor

And the good man in the A-2 and the B-10. Whack on a B-3 or B-9 over that and he has matched the record!! Three jackets at once!

Brettafett

No idea Greg. I dont know if this jackets is on display in some museum either...
However, he entered primary flight training at the end of '41 and on into the other phases in early '42.
Im not sure at what point cadets were issued flight jackets, but my best guess would be that its a 21996, issued circa Oct '41.
He would not likely have received either of the earlier '39 (3875 very small contract) or '40 (16160) contracts, and the 15142 came in '42.
Although a 16160 is possible, I cant see a collar stand or not... it looks more like a 21996.... to me...
The jacket doesn't look like a 3875 (large square pockets and collar), of which few were made and of all the Aeros, they are pretty unique looking.
Hell, would love to be shown different. Im sure there a few guys out there, be better able to answer.