• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice period photos (all jackets except A-2's)

Adama36

No idea about baseball cards (I'm a cricket man) or any of that other stuff you mentioned, but Waffen-SS clobber is climbing in value at a huge rate, has been for quite a time now and will almost certainly continue to.
Not quite sure though. What will happen once all the people that had family ties to WWII slowly disappear? New generations don't seem to be interested in that type of stuff (and/or in collecting in general).

As I said baseball cards, trains, comics , stamps were all big at one point ....

Smithy

Not quite sure though. What will happen once all the people that had family ties to WWII slowly disappear? New generations don't seem to be interested in that type of stuff (and/or in collecting in general).

As I said baseball cards, trains, comics , stamps were all big at one point ....

For right or wrong Waffen-SS stuff has always commanded a premium over Wehrmacht items. That will never change. Time is making these things rarer and more expensive. The number of people buying and dealing Waffen-SS items probably hasn't changed much in number in 40 years - it's a niche market but there is always demand.

I can tell you now that that M42 helmet of mine with cover will be at least 25% more valuable in 10 years time. That's being conservative, it'll probably be over 30% by then.

Adama36

For right or wrong Waffen-SS stuff has always commanded a premium over Wehrmacht items. That will never change. Time is making these things rarer and more expensive. The number of people buying and dealing Waffen-SS items probably hasn't changed much in number in 40 years - it's a niche market but there is always demand.

I can tell you now that that M42 helmet of mine with cover will be at least 25% more valuable in 10 years time. That's being conservative, it'll probably be over 30% by then.
you are probably right, especially in what I would call short term (10 years)

I was just trying to get the conversation going. All I know is that the new generation (my daughter. nieces, nephews, students I work with ...) does not seem interested in collecting old stuff.
Again demand and supply .

Pa12

you are probably right, especially in what I would call short term (10 years)

I was just trying to get the conversation going. All I know is that the new generation (my daughter. nieces, nephews, students I work with ...) does not seem interested in collecting old stuff.
Again demand and supply .
I’ve seen it in classic cars. Model A’s prices have really dropped. Younger crowds aren’t interested.

Smithy

I’ve seen it in classic cars. Model A’s prices have really dropped. Younger crowds aren’t interested.

Yes but it depends on the model. The bottom is never going to fall out of the market for E-Type Jags, or you're never going to lose money selling a Ferrari 275GTB.

It's the same thing with some types of militaria.

Pa12

Yes but it depends on the model. The bottom is never going to fall out of the market for E-Type Jags, or you're never going to lose money selling a Ferrari 275GTB.

It's the same thing with some types of militaria.
The price of an e type here is insane. Second only to a db5

Smithy

The price of an e type here is insane. Second only to a db5

I've posted pics of it here before. My mate had a series 1 E-Type, the 3.8 engine. He didn’t drive it as it reminded him of his ex-wife so he gave it to me to drive. I roared around in it for a year. He offered me it to buy but I declined as I was moving to Norway the first time.

One of the stupidest things I've done. I should have bought it.

Pa12

I've posted pics of it here before. My mate had a series 1 E-Type, the 3.8 engine. He didn’t drive it as it reminded him of his ex-wife so he gave it to me to drive. I roared around in it for a year. He offered me it to buy but I declined as I was moving to Norway the first time.

One of the stupidest things I've done. I should have bought it.
You wouldn’t lose money on it for sure.

Smithy

You wouldn’t lose money on it for sure.

It's one of those rare things that I feel actually a little bit physically sick when I think about it now.

It was absolutely beautiful. Very first series so the 3.8 engine (basically a slightly detuned D-type motor), Moss box with no synchro on 1st. Fuck it was a blast to drive.

Smithy

zLeLCiy.jpeg.jpg

Kermit3D

Here in Germany you'll pay around 1000 - 1500 € for a good preserved complete original ww2 german steel helmet, if from the SS the price can increase up to 2500.
So you can imagine what that pile would be worth today.
I have a few of that pots in my collection but fortunately I bought them many many years ago when the prices were better...
An example with this fallschirmjäger helmet

helmet.jpg

An example with this fallschirmjäger helmet

Last edited:

Smithy

Yup I agree that's horrifically overpriced.

One of the most expensive German WWII helmets is a Fallschirmjäger one, the Waffen-SS Fallschirmjäger helmet. Rarer than hen's teeth and not surprising really considering the casualties the 500th and 600th battalions suffered.

Kermit3D

Yeah, I agree. I wonder if there are people willing to pay that price.
But even at "Weitze", some helmets are very expensive.

helmet2.jpg