• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NICE IRVIN!

Roughwear

This is the Wareings jacket on JC's CD. The seller is George Hsu, who as you know allowed John to use many of his jackets for the CD. It's a great looking Irvin and should do well.

It certainly is in very decent shape. I would say that it was very lightly worn and was pretty well preserved. I wouldn't say that it is in quite as nice a shape as the RW that Andrew purchased from me, but it's not too far off. I can vouch that I never ever wore it. I don't think that I even ever slipped it on (although I can't think why not).

philip.ed

prostaff4ever said:
It certainly is in very decent shape. I would say that it was very lightly worn and was pretty well preserved. I wouldn't say that it is in quite as nice a shape as the RW that Andrew purchased from me, but it's not too far off. I can vouch that I never ever wore it. I don't think that I even ever slipped it on (although I can't think why not).

You still could put it on :p

Too late. As Andrew knows, I'm presently in Florida and already have it nicely packed and ready to take down to the shipping store at my house in California. My wife will be dropping it off as I won't be back for quite a few weeks. Plus, I understand that it has been 100+ degrees in California for the last several days and our house doesn't have A/C, so I could slip it on for a moment, but would either ruin it by sweating on it, or would just pass out. That is one of the drawbacks about being a jacket collector living in a warmer locale. B-3's and Irvins are definitely more difficult to enjoy in the two states that I have taken up residence. :D :D

Silver Dollar

Wow, that jacket looks like new old stock. I don't know if it's the best original Irvin you guys ever saw, but it's the best one I've ever seen. This to me would be the Holy Grail of jackets.

Roughwear

Silver Dollar said:
Wow, that jacket looks like new old stock. I don't know if it's the best original Irvin you guys ever saw, but it's the best one I've ever seen. This to me would be the Holy Grail of jackets.
Its in lightly worn condition. I have seen and own mint Irvins. My 1939 electrically wired Irvin has no wear at all for example. But jackets like George's only rarely come on the market and i hope this one too stays in the family!

Andrew's assessment is right on the money. It is very lightly worn, but it's not factory mint. I have a Monarch M-445 that is right off the factory line and into a surplus store. It has never been worn and has been stored so perfectly that it literally looks like it was manufactured a few hours ago. That one is on John's CD and since it's a size 46 will probably go on the market in a few months as well. But I wouldn't call anything mint and unworn unless it meets those benchmarks. You can see by Andrew's far better pictures of the RW16159 how pristine a condition that particular jacket is in, but I would still call it lightly worn because it was. As a collector, I'm far happier when the seller under-promises and over-delivers as opposed to the other way around. I want to make sure my buyers feel the same sort of pleasant surprise as well. This being said, this Irvin is still a very nice jacket. There is no doubt about it. I also hope this one stays in the family as well!

Silver Dollar

Well, it only goes to show you what kind of stuff I've come in contact with. Hey Andrew, I didn't know they made an electrically wired Irvin. I'll bet it's a beauty. Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks in advance.

Roughwear

Silver Dollar said:
Well, it only goes to show you what kind of stuff I've come in contact with. Hey Andrew, I didn't know they made an electrically wired Irvin. I'll bet it's a beauty. Do you have any pictures of it? Thanks in advance.

Here is the original thread about the jacket.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4412

Andrew

Silver Dollar said:

SD, just in case you weren't aware, the wiring wasn't for heating the Irvin, but for providing current to heated gloves that were attached to the sleeves via a nipple snap.

Roughwear

Andrew said:
Silver Dollar said:

SD, just in case you weren't aware, the wiring wasn't for heating the Irvin, but for providing current to heated gloves that were attached to the sleeves via a nipple snap.

I'm glad you have explained this Andrew as it's a common misconception that these jackets were heated.

Silver Dollar

Thanks guys. I really apreciate the history. That Irvin is what I call a rare beauty. I also didn't realize they had that technology that early. I've got some electric garments but they're from the later part of the war.