• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newly acquired 2 panel wired Irvin - any more info?

Leather seat

Hello,
I've been lurking for quite some time, soaking up knowledge and inspiration by trawling through old posts related to Irvins.

Yesterday, a courier delivered a nice large box with my first genuine Irvin - somewhat worn, but complete and wearable (on dry days). I wonder if anyone can identify the maker? (Presumably an easier task if these photos load successfully, fingers crossed...)
armpit.jpg.html
armpit.jpg.html
armpit.jpg.html
armpit.jpg.html

The three zips are all single trunnion, DOT (made in England), (brass, I think). The elastic collar strap is missing, but there are two metal loops for attachment. I assume it is an early (or pre-war?) jacket as it is 2 panel, front and rear (with a later repair to the right shoulder). When were wired jackets first manufactured?

Many thanks for any insights and information you can give,

David

Peter Graham

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Great to hear that you've picked up an original Irvin but unfortunately I can"t see your photos.

Leather seat

It would appear that my technical skills date from 1939, alongside the jacket! :shock:
I will try to sort the photos out, this evening.

David

Roughwear

Your wired Irvin was made by Irvin Air Chute. It has the typical square collar, medium sized belt loops and smaller collar rings. It dates from 1938-40 IMO, bit detailed larger pictures would be helpful here.

Leather seat

I've been trying to re-size the photos (having tried to reduce them yesterday, fearing they may be too large!).
Limited progress, here are some I've managed to make a little larger...

Thanks to 2BM2K for managing to make the original pictures show up.

Roughwear - you make the identification seem so straightforward - thanks for your insight.

Any further views, coments or insights would be very welcome.

Thanks,

David

YoungMedic

Roughwear said:
Your wired Irvin was made by Irvin Air Chute. It has the typical square collar, medium sized belt loops and smaller collar rings. It dates from 1938-40 IMO, bit detailed larger pictures would be helpful here.

never cease to be amazed by your knowledge

rich

Leather seat said:
Many thanks for any insights and information you can give, David

Hi David,

Congratulations on getting hold of an original jacket. Have you checked out this forum over at the other place..........

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... ho-love-em!

It's a bit of a mash up, but has (or used to!) many great photos and interesting info. As far as I'm aware, unfortunately there's no definitive resource for info on Irvins, but
hopefully knowledgeable people here will be able to help out - there are at least two members with Irvin collections that would embarrass any museum you could think of. ;)

Leather seat

Rich,

Thanks for the link. I have lost quite a few hours on that site over the past 18 months, since my interest was piqued in (initially, any) sheepskin flying jackets, then original Irvin jackets.

That site has some super-long threads that allow me to re-read them every few months and most of it seems new (or is that a sign I have a memory like a goldfish?! ;) ).

What would be good to see is a few more pics of the jackets 'in action'- whether flying planes, driving cars or just walking the dog through the snow. I'll get my wife on camera duty next winter (she is far more adept with a camera and technology generally, than me).

David