• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Thoughts

1911A1US

I am not new to military leather jackets,I bought my first navy G1 type jacket at Kaufman`s in NYC in 1968,just an 18 year old who wanted a flight jacket.I see so many on this forum that have so many articles of clothing that I can not keep up with you folks in you attention to every little detail.Buying expensive A2s,etc,I will sign off this forum now and appreciate some advice I have gotten,but I do not fit in to the "click" here.Regards..

dav3469

Hate to see anyone go from this forum, as it is one of the most laid back I have seen on the net. I think you are more like most here than you realize. I think many of us are in the "don't have anything fancy boat". I myself enjoy the photo's/historic content/related aviation discussion as much or more than the jacket's.

deand

As one who doesn't own the vintage leathers, leaning more toward nylon, and lacking the specialized of knowledge found here, I understand how you might feel...but I have been treated very well here, and can only encourage you to stay and enjoy the forum. These people mean it when they say they would miss anyone who has joined. Don't leave.

dean

watchmanjimg

I agree you should stay, but I get the impression there's more to this story. No one here is under any obligation to possess any particular degree of knowledge, nor are we required to brush up on every imaginable variation of jacket (although some appear to be working toward this goal :D ). Did someone here offend you in some way? If so, I hope they're enough of a person to apologize. If there's another reason please let us help. It seems odd that you'd bother to announce your departure if it wasn't prompted by some catalyst.

I hope I speak for everyone when I say that all are welcome and the few who have been 86'd at least arguably had it coming.

MikeyB-17

capt71 said:
P.S. I disagree with you that there is a "Clique" here.

I agree with that one-I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better-natured or more welcoming forum-most of the time anyway, and we've not had much 'warfare' here lately (no doubt somebody will soon be moaning that it's 'too quiet' :D )
Don't go getting an inferiority complex just because you don't own a house full of original A-2's, or that you don't know the exact stitch count on a Bronco. Nor do most of us, and the ones who do certainly don't look down on anyone who doesn't. There's room for all corners of the jacket spectrum here. Nobody expects you to 'keep up'-I doubt anyone here gives a monkey's if you own 50 jackets or none. If you're into jackets, you're welcome here, whatever your size of collection or level of knowledge. I'm sorry if you feel you don't fit in, but I don't think that's down to any 'cliqueyness' here.

Tim P

I dont believe there is a clique here. going or staying is your choice but I dont see that your opinion matters less than anyone elses. I would stick around and feel free to add comments or not as you see fit, I wouldnt rise to anyones bait either, an unguarded comment taken out of content can damage way beyond their intent.

flightmac

Brian, (if I may use your name given on another post)

I too felt at one point that I didn't have the knowledge that some of these guys possess or own alot of expensive jackets. Well, I don't but that's OK. I'm also learning, although I'm not interested in how to spot the contract of a jacket from it's collar (again, that's OK). The only leather jackets I own were issued to me in the last 20 years, although I've bought some nylon. Most of the time I "lurk" and learn, but I have found some good people here who are quite willing to share their knowledge. And I have been able to contribute some to the discussions and not felt out of place. So reconsider your decision, and stay awhile.

ausreenactor

Mate!!

I do not own a single Original jacket. All of my stuff is repro. Just filling up space in the war room.

Put together a five minute bio in the relevant section, as to reveal a bit about yourself. You may have specific knowlege in a certain area that could some day prevent an uneducated buy, channel the hunt for a must have item down a particular path, or spark someone up when they get a bet bewildered at 1am after a rough day. I think I put in a post a while back, the forum is more than the textual input on the pages. There is a WIDE range of experience and knowledge across all facets of life here. You have an opinion on a movie you had seen 20 years ago, you saw something at a yard sale, you have a reference book. MANY, MANY potential 'war winners' you could provide. Your profile indicates a passion for percussion instruments!! I love guns! Just not allowed to have the good ones here in Australia??

Please reconsider, and I hope the Kaufmans jacket is still in your possession. In the event you require any advice for a replacement? You are in the best place in the world!!

Couchy..

tgd31968

watchmanjimg said:
I agree you should stay, but I get the impression there's more to this story. No one here is under any obligation to possess any particular degree of knowledge, nor are we required to brush up on every imaginable variation of jacket (although some appear to be working toward this goal :D ). Did someone here offend you in some way? If so, I hope they're enough of a person to apologize. If there's another reason please let us help. It seems odd that you'd bother to announce your departure if it wasn't prompted by some catalyst.

I hope I speak for everyone when I say that all are welcome and the few who have been 86'd at least arguably had it coming.

I tend to agree that something must have been said or taken the wrong way. Otherwise why announce that you are leaving?

One thing that happens in all fourms is that typed words without being able to see the person delivering them can easily be misunderstood.
I am probably as guilty as anyone of unintentional slights and on the flip side have had to take a deep breath a few times at responses to my posts. If someone says something insulting with a smile, you know they are just breaking balls, but, if you cannot see their face, you won't know that. I hope it is that simple, and I hope you will hang out.

If it really was a clear insult or attack, please post details so it can be delt with properly.

For the record, I own 1 A-2 (a US Authentic, which puts me in the dregs of humanity when it comes to collectors) and an Aero B-3 that I saved a long time to be able to afford. I have a ma-1 I bought off e-bay for $25, again, an evil imperfect Alpha, barely even a real flight jacket. I say all this tounge in cheek because you have to have a sense of humor on this forum as well as any other, and it can seem like some are stitch nazis, but to each his own.

If it is just feeling like you are not worthy, I felt the same way at first. It seemed like a lot of guys on here came to the party much more well heeled than I do, and I felt like if I couldn't tie up $10,000 in jackets I shouldn't be here. Then I wised up, realized that many guys are like me and only own 1 or 2 but just like to read about the subject. I have come to the realization that I have 1 or 2 go-to jackets I wear all the time, and having too many more in my closet is just a waste of money, but that is MY situation and feeling. What makes others happy is their business. And, if you wait and watch, you can find some affordable bargains here or on E-bay. It just takes patience.
Whatever you decide, best Regards.

better duck

Apart from everything else that's being said, I really appreciate the courtesy of explicitly signing off. That's a thing not many people do. They just leave things be and are simply not heard of again.
This message gives us at least some information to go on, albeit a little. Thanks for that.

Tim P

I think it was the thread about the aviator scarves being worn in the high street with a flight jacket???
Gentle ribbing was taken out of turn I think. I hope 1911 doesnt go as I hate to lose people but at odds with what Peter says, I think announcing you are leaving is the equivalent of a petulant teenagers door slam. Just my opinion but I think just fading is a more dignified way to go and it is the thing I personally would do if I took umbridge at something said on a forum. you can come back then when you have reconciled yourself to the comment.

TankBuster

If that is truly the reason, I guess I would be at fault. I was honestly merely asking if he was serious or joking since I wasn't sure. The jokes by myself, and some members afterward I don't believe were meant with any ill intent or directed at 1911. Honestly, I have to think there was more than this involved, or at least I would hope so.
I agree with Tim about the whole I'm leaving thread. I've seen too many over the years.

Tim P

You are not at fault. this forum spans the globe and if every single sensibility or sensitivity were agonised over no-one would say anything. I took your comment as tongue in cheek personally.

A

Anonymous

I'd like to wish the former member goodbye and thanks for all the fish !
Sorry but it smacked of immaturity to announce his departure so loudly. A simple request to the mods with an explanation to them would have sufficed. The Mod could then have looked into it if they felt it warranted it.
As to people worrying and hand wringing over said departure, don't sweat it guys, with his attitude and sensitivity he wasn't going to last. We are supposed to be robust adults and understand that good as this place is, we are only talking jackets here ! ;-)
cheers,
Dave

nogbat

well said jacket head... at the end of the day, its a laugh its good information and if your on this sight , your here because youre interested in flight jackets,, happy new year to all... from andy owner of 4 repros, and happy with that.... :lol:

Roughwear

It maybe that Brian was just not passionate about vintage leather jackets and felt that this was not the place for him. Leaving by not posting might have been the way to go IMO.