New Roughwear at one week old...

stanier

Well-Known Member
That is one awesome jacket, everything about it FWIW, to me is spot on.

The only question I have rolling around the back of my mind, is that if GW jackets look so grainy and "aged" (for want of a better word" after a week or so of wear, what would they look if used for a few months in WWII USAAF working conditions, I mean clambering in and out of a B-17, or P-51 etc with all the straps and panel rubbing etc that would entail. BTW, This is a genuine observation and not meant to be contraversial! Those pics show one beautiful piece of work.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The color looks like it's spray painted.
Is it flat brown or is it the two-tone color we see on Eastman 27752 jackets?

Please reply.
 

deeb7

New Member
PLATON said:
The color looks like it's spray painted.
Is it flat brown or is it the two-tone color we see on Eastman 27752 jackets?

Please reply.

If you see my little red rooster
Please drive him home
If you see my little red rooster
Please drive him home
Aint had no peace in the farm yard
Since my little red roosters been gone
 

Andrew

Well-Known Member
stanier said:
That is one awesome jacket, everything about it FWIW, to me is spot on.

The only question I have rolling around the back of my mind, is that if GW jackets look so grainy and "aged" (for want of a better word" after a week or so of wear, what would they look if used for a few months in WWII USAAF working conditions...........
:idea: Hopefully like this



John's not making the leather- just the jackets. :D I can't recall the exact term he used but I believe it's spray finish HH from Horween with aniline coating- though don't quote me. It's fantastic stuff and although it quickly conforms to your body shape and the wear lines, creases and stetch marks show up immediately it seems to settle down after a few weeks with little change. I've got the same leather as Jeff and i've been wearing mine daily for 5 weeks now, carrying a heavy laptop and camera bag and it's looking senbloodysational- it now fits like a glove and has given where it needed to.

It'll be interesting to see how it looks in 5 years time but I suspect with constant use these will pass as well kept originals.

BTW Jeff, lookin' good....
 

Chandler

Active Member
deeb7 said:
Since my little red roosters been gone[/i]
With all the jabs we've traded, I don't believe for one minute that he'd stomp off 'cause of a little tiff with a newbie. He'll be back, it's in the OCD!

As to the new jacket; it's very nice. Is it the holy grail? I don't see it, and I'll have to take Rote's word for it that it's not as shiny as some of those pictures show. One sleeve looks sort of plastic to me. If it's more like Leadsky's looks, then it's probably a very nice hide.

Chandler
 

airfrogusmc

Well-Known Member
stanier said:
That is one awesome jacket, everything about it FWIW, to me is spot on.

The only question I have rolling around the back of my mind, is that if GW jackets look so grainy and "aged" (for want of a better word" after a week or so of wear, what would they look if used for a few months in WWII USAAF working conditions, I mean clambering in and out of a B-17, or P-51 etc with all the straps and panel rubbing etc that would entail. BTW, This is a genuine observation and not meant to be contraversial! Those pics show one beautiful piece of work.
Very good question and the way the finish wears off has everything to with the way the hide is tanned and dyed. For instance my RMNZ Dubow the finish because of the way it was dyed and finished wore very quickly. The GW Dubow doesn't show wear as quickly. (There are some here that could probably explain this process better and in more detail)

Look at originals. On some (even in the same contract) because of way the hide was tanned, dyed and finished wore easily and some didn't. A drum dyed chrome tanned goat will probably show little wear(scuffing) over a long life span where a jacket that is spay dyed and veg tanned will probably wear rather quickly. Both methods show up on original jackets.
 

T-Bolt

New Member
Leadsky said:
stanier said:
That is one awesome jacket, everything about it FWIW, to me is spot on.

The only question I have rolling around the back of my mind, is that if GW jackets look so grainy and "aged" (for want of a better word" after a week or so of wear, what would they look if used for a few months in WWII USAAF working conditions...........
:idea: Hopefully like this



John's not making the leather- just the jackets. :D I can't recall the exact term he used but I believe it's spray finish HH from Horween with aniline coating- though don't quote me. It's fantastic stuff and although it quickly conforms to your body shape and the wear lines, creases and stetch marks show up immediately it seems to settle down after a few weeks with little change. I've got the same leather as Jeff and i've been wearing mine daily for 5 weeks now, carrying a heavy laptop and camera bag and it's looking senbloodysational- it now fits like a glove and has given where it needed to.

It'll be interesting to see how it looks in 5 years time but I suspect with constant use these will pass as well kept originals.

BTW Jeff, lookin' good....

Hey Andrew,

Thanks so much for posting that photo of your GW Dubow with several weeks wear.......your jacket looks NICE.....very, very NICE!

That wrinkling on the sleeves and the overall look is sweet! Your jacket "feels" comfortable just looking at the photo. :cool:


Ted
 

Hawkeye

Member
At the risk of repeating what already been said, gorgeous jacket! A really nice fit too. I just wish I could get a week or so of suitable weather to start breaking mine in....
 

jacketimp

New Member
leadsky, how well your jkt has aged in such a short time..........trying to imagine HOW MUCH MORE ageing it's gonna do during it's lifetime..........WOW!
 

jacketimp

New Member
T-Bolt said:
Leadsky said:
stanier said:
That is one awesome jacket, everything about it FWIW, to me is spot on.

The only question I have rolling around the back of my mind, is that if GW jackets look so grainy and "aged" (for want of a better word" after a week or so of wear, what would they look if used for a few months in WWII USAAF working conditions...........
:idea: Hopefully like this



John's not making the leather- just the jackets. :D I can't recall the exact term he used but I believe it's spray finish HH from Horween with aniline coating- though don't quote me. It's fantastic stuff and although it quickly conforms to your body shape and the wear lines, creases and stetch marks show up immediately it seems to settle down after a few weeks with little change. I've got the same leather as Jeff and i've been wearing mine daily for 5 weeks now, carrying a heavy laptop and camera bag and it's looking senbloodysational- it now fits like a glove and has given where it needed to.

It'll be interesting to see how it looks in 5 years time but I suspect with constant use these will pass as well kept originals.

BTW Jeff, lookin' good....

Hey Andrew,

Thanks so much for posting that photo of your GW Dubow with several weeks wear.......your jacket looks NICE.....very, very NICE!

That wrinkling on the sleeves and the overall look is sweet! Your jacket "feels" comfortable just looking at the photo. :cool:


Ted
not surprising, bein a gw!!
 

ausreenactor

Well-Known Member
Rotenhan..

I must be seeing things, but it looks like the jacket's left arm is larger, with more bulk, than the jacket's right? Obviously laying both sleeves flat & a ruler would workout if there is more leather there...but looks a little bit like a Fiddler Crab...

Couchy..
 

buzzthetower

Administrator
Both arms are drawn from one pattern piece, rather than a left and right piece. So, if one were bigger than the other, I'd have to be drawing in a pretty sloppy manner. That's one of the odd things about photography with leather jackets.

J
 

deeb7

New Member
ausreenactor said:
Rotenhan..

I must be seeing things, but it looks like the jacket's left arm is larger, with more bulk, than the jacket's right? Obviously laying both sleeves flat & a ruler would workout if there is more leather there...but looks a lot like a Fiddler Crab...

Couch
And from Rotenhahn, at the moment not here to speak for himself .....

If on shoulder seems droopier than the other it's because my left shoulder is literally 1 1/4" shorter than my right- a leftover from my years as a working carpenter swinging a hammer ..
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
The jacket is beautiful. Why are people picking on you? Be lucky to have a jacket that sweet.
 

ChuckO

New Member
That's what it's all about to me. A super cool jacket with a great pair of jeans! Are those '47 LVC's.
 
Top