• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New old stock G-1 in original box

Smithy

Roughwear said:
The problem with these NOS jackets is that if you wear them they immediately lose value and are no longer so desirable, yet if you don't it is just a collectable with no real use at all.

So true Andrew. You'd be in a terrible quandary if you bought this, on one hand you'd be dying to wear it and on the other thinking, no I shouldn't as it's such a collector's item. Bit like having a 100 year old unopened bottle of single malt!

Neat G-1 though and it'll go for a packet.

galvestonokie

regarding the mouton color and fading, i have a jacket of this same vintage and the collar has faded unevenly. the top part, where the sun hit is much lighter. the part of the collar that is lower, below the fold, is a darker shade. i can only believe that the sun exposure made the difference.

tibor

watchmanjimg said:
Roughwear said:
The problem with these NOS jackets is that if you wear them they immediately lose value and are no longer so desirable, yet if you don't it is just a collectable with no real use at all.

I agree completely, and this was the conundrum I faced with my sealed nylon L-2B. Fortunately it cost me very little, so if I were to start wearing it there would be no monetary loss. The purchaser of this G-1 won't be so lucky as the bidding is already well beyond any realistic value for such a jacket, at least in my opinion.

It's like an unopened wax pack of early series Topps baseball cards from 1967. The actual value of the cards inside isn't going to be worth the price of the sealed pack. Being able to pull it from the box is a bit of time travel and much of what you're paying for.

(It really should be pulled out as the wrinkles are out of control - needs to smooth out on a nice warm person)

a2jacketpatches

Not sure what it's worth, but anyone who buys it thinking it should be kept as is in a time capsule probably has too much money for it to matter anyway.

Atticus

I like to wear original flight jackets for the same reason that I like to play vintage guitars. I like their mojo. And even though this old G-1 is as cherry as they come, it's got no mojo. It's got no scars or scrapes or stains, and all it's wrinkles are in the wrong places. Its got no stories...it's paid no dues. Its just a G-1, not much different from a high end repro.

So I wouldn't wear it if someone gave it to me for free. I don't think its worthless. I just don't think wearing it would give me any more of a buzz than wearing a new jacket purchased from the mall. Instead, I would preserve it as best I could. I think its only unique value is as an unsoiled snap shot of the typical G-1 made in the final days of that jacket's best years.

AF

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
I like to wear original flight jackets for the same reason that I like to play vintage guitars. I like their mojo. And even though this old G-1 is as cherry as they come, it's got no mojo. It's got no scars or scrapes or stains, and all it's wrinkles are in the wrong places. Its got no stories...it's paid no dues. Its just a G-1, not much different from a high end repro.

So I wouldn't wear it if someone gave it to me for free. I don't think its worthless. I just don't think wearing it would give me any more of a buzz than wearing a new jacket purchased from the mall. Instead, I would preserve it as best I could. I think its only unique value is as an unsoiled snap shot of the typical G-1 made in the final days of that jacket's best years.

AF

Interesting observations, and not having seen many jackets of this vintage in pristine condition I'd have to agree that the total lack of patina does very little to evoke any sort of visceral reaction. To me the richly pebbled grain and golden-brown mouton of what we generally regard as "mint" examples is infinitely preferable.

a2jacketpatches

Atticus said:

AF

Well said, and I'm with you. But to preserve as is seems like such a waste for the newest owner, something tells me the next generation will go " OOO, Ahhhh a brand new one " and then wear it ending the pristine condition and beginning the life of a jacket meant to be worn.

STEVE S.

a2jacketpatches said:
something tells me the next generation will go " OOO, Ahhhh a brand new one " and then wear it ending the pristine condition and beginning the life of a jacket meant to be worn.

...and beat the hell out of it to make it look old....

TankBuster

$1,100 is a ton of money for a 1964 G-1!!

I have one that's nearly as nice, and 10 years older (1954) for 60% less for sale on the forum!! ;)
Just sayin!! :)

Skyhawk

Yeah hard to imagine a 60's RE going for over 1K. Consider though, how many have you seen in the box? This is the only one I've ever seen. Probably the only one I'll ever see. All about the rarity in the flight jacket market...