• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New old stock G-1 in original box

watchmanjimg

An incredible opportunity for someone. Interesting how the stock numbers match, but the contract numbers do not. I can only assume the box was a leftover from the pre-DSA era . . .

Skyhawk

Yes looks like the box is from a previous batch from 1962, The jacket is dated 1964. I'm guessing a leftover box reused by the MFG. Interesting to see the original color of a RE G-1's mouton. It's very dark.

This is the most wrinkled NOS jacket I've ever seen. Bummer on that aspect. Never seen one in the box though. Thanks for the post!

Roughwear

The problem with these NOS jackets is that if you wear them they immediately lose value and are no longer so desirable, yet if you don't it is just a collectable with no real use at all.

Clark J

I have the exact jacket.Don't think I'd pay that even for a NOS one if I wasn't going to wear it.Sure is cool !!

Silver Surfer

be nice to find an original wwll a-2 like that, in the original box, unused. if for nothing else, it would be a very interesting experience just to see what an a-2 is like new. naaawww, aint gonna happen.

Roughwear

Is there evidence that Wartime A2s left the factories in individual boxes or were they were boxed in batches?

Silver Surfer

knowing how the us army was [and is] cost conscious, they were probably shipped by the 100s in big crates. individual box? not. never the less.

dmar836

Wow. It would be hard to not wear this.
Did the collars turn brown with UV exposure or did they start as different colors?
Dave

Skyhawk

As I recall the Mil spec for the WEP jackets states that the mouton shall be close in color to the jacket and knits, so that would mean they would have started out dark like this. Yes I think the rust color comes from UV exposure. It appears from this example that age of the mouton has less to do with the fading than sun.

STEVE S.

i think heat has alot to do in changing the dye used. i've had a few pieces stored in the attic which has windows, but no direct sunlight. it gets really hot up there & some pieces have faded to almost a blonde color.

Roughwear

Skyhawk said:
As I recall the Mil spec for the WEP jackets states that the mouton shall be close in color to the jacket and knits, so that would mean they would have started out dark like this. Yes I think the rust color comes from UV exposure. It appears from this example that age of the mouton has less to do with the fading than sun.

I would agree with this analysis.

Marv

Roughwear said:
Skyhawk said:

I would agree with this analysis.

Me too, I have a 1968 Martin Lane Co. G1 where you can physically see the mouton colour fade from its originally auburn colour through to a golden brown over the years of exposure.

Roughwear

I have a Wartime near mint G&F M422A where the mouton has only faded slightly because it has been stored for much of its life.

Silver Surfer

salt air combined with sun would be a contributing factor as well, as many of the m,an, g series jacs were worn in environments that were on or near the oceans.

watchmanjimg

Roughwear said:
The problem with these NOS jackets is that if you wear them they immediately lose value and are no longer so desirable, yet if you don't it is just a collectable with no real use at all.

I agree completely, and this was the conundrum I faced with my sealed nylon L-2B. Fortunately it cost me very little, so if I were to start wearing it there would be no monetary loss. The purchaser of this G-1 won't be so lucky as the bidding is already well beyond any realistic value for such a jacket, at least in my opinion.

watchmanjimg

Skyhawk said:

I agree, and we need only look at the issued jackets with synthetic collars for proof. They could have used any color, but evidently the dark shade was preferred. It almost makes me wonder to what extent the decision was influenced by the desire for colorfastness versus cost savings.