• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here with a question about an A-2 jacket

Flightengineer

Be interesting to see the back panel of this jacket.

Here, once in the late 90s, this movie was popular and among other comedies it was very often shown on video in the crew rest lounge. I remember this jacket well, it had a horisontal seam on its back and also some patches on back.
I'm sure that this is either a costume/hollywood jacket or a cheap A2-style mall jacket (very roomy according to the fashion of the early 90s).

mulceber

Just checked the photos. That panel of leather between the sleeve and the body of the jacket is a gusset - it's meant to make it so that the sleeves don't ride up when you lift your arms. No military A-2 jacket has ever had gussets. The snaps at the top of the zipper are also inaccurate. The epaulets also appear to be sewn down, which isn't accurate to real A-2 jackets. It's 100% a Hollywood jacket.

Dart

Be interesting to see the back panel of this jacket.
I've actually reached out to the costume designer for the movie to see if she had any notes about this jacket. Hopefully I'll find some info soon. I actually did find a jacket that seems to be similar but I want to find out what the back looks like as screenshots don't really show much.

WingAndaPrayer

The fold looks like a gusset as mentioned before. The Averix DCSP USAF jackets are probably going to be your closest facsimile to Charlie’s jacket. They have the gusset line in about the same place. Who knows, it might BE an old averix he has on?
3EF2A004-BF8F-48DA-97AE-48863FAAE4E5.png

Pa12

And what ever happened to Charlie sheen? He was on an epic booze and drug induced journey that could almost rival the likes of hunter Thompson and Shane McGowan, and then disappeared.

Dart

And what ever happened to Charlie sheen? He was on an epic booze and drug induced journey that could almost rival the likes of hunter Thompson and Shane McGowan, and then disappeared.
He got sober. During his "winning" phase, he was taking a lot of stuff.

Dart

The fold looks like a gusset as mentioned before. The Averix DCSP USAF jackets are probably going to be your closest facsimile to Charlie’s jacket. They have the gusset line in about the same place. Who knows, it might BE an old averix he has on?
View attachment 108385
Thanks for the lead! I went searching and the biggest problem is the lack of a snap on the inside of the storm flap that seems to be missing on all the Avirex A-2 versions. But we're getting closer...

Dart

This 'Hot Shots' jacket bears a closer resemblance to the Air Force version of an AN-J-3 than it does to an A2.
Oh... Yes it does! The only difference is that the movie jacket has hidden snaps on the front pockets instead of the button. But that's a very intriguing possibility. Thanks!

mulceber

ANJ had a back like M422/ G1, in the movie the jacket has a regular back like a simple jacket and a seam across the top

This jacket was clearly made by Hollywood costumers.
100% agree, Dmitry. Dart, it's not clear to me what your current theory on this jacket is, but from your comments I think you're REALLY over-thinking it. The costumer didn't use any air force jackets for this movie, and (s)he didn't do much research on air force jackets. "Hot Shots" was meant to be a spoof of movies like "Top Gun" and it's pretty evident that the costumer was told "Give Charlie Sheen a jacket like the Top Gun jacket, but Air Force instead of Navy," and the costumer said "ok, I vaguely know what an Air Force jacket looks like," and had a jacket custom-made for Sheen that would make him look good.

Last edited:

Chandler

Does anyone remember the story about the FJs in "Space Cowboys?" I guess the costumer brought in a bunch of jackets from different manufacturers for the stars to try on.

Story goes that Eastwood, Sutherland, and Garner all chose Avirex jackets. Jones was the lone dissenter who picked an ELC for his.

I'd place a good bet that the Hot Shots jacket was an Avirex. Easier, and cheaper, to take from the rack than pay for a custom.

mulceber

Does anyone remember the story about the FJs in "Space Cowboys?" I guess the costumer brought in a bunch of jackets from different manufacturers for the stars to try on.

Story goes that Eastwood, Sutherland, and Garner all chose Avirex jackets. Jones was the lone dissenter who picked an ELC for his.

I'd place a good bet that the Hot Shots jacket was an Avirex. Easier to take from the rack than pay for a custom.
Very possible! My point was less that I thought it was specifically a custom jacket and more that it wasn't a military jacket and didn't reflect much research on the part of the costumer.

Chandler

Very possible! My point was less that I thought it was specifically a custom jacket and more that it wasn't a military jacket and didn't reflect much research on the part of the costumer.
Sorry -- wasn't replying directly to your post, just offering my own theory.

But yes, I agree it was far from any military issue jacket.

Pa12

I'd place a good bet that the Hot Shots jacket was an Avirex. Easier, and cheaper, to take from the rack than pay for a custom.
I think so too. Especially given the time period.

Dart

100% agree, Dmitry. Dart, it's not clear to me what your current theory on this jacket is, but from your comments I think you're REALLY over-thinking it. The costumer didn't use any air force jackets for this movie, and (s)he didn't do much research on air force jackets. "Hot Shots" was meant to be a spoof of movies like "Top Gun" and it's pretty evident that the costumer was told "Give Charlie Sheen a jacket like the Top Gun jacket, but Air Force instead of Navy," and the costumer said "ok, I vaguely know what an Air Force jacket looks like," and had a jacket custom-made for Sheen that would make him look good.
Your info is very much appreciated. My original idea that it could've been an A-2 was disproven and multiple other options have appeared. That we've definitively proven that it's not a standard military pattern is a huge help, and I appreciate the experience and expertise of all the very helpful members here. I don't think I'd have gotten this far otherwise. It's quite the mish-mash of a jacket.