• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here with a question about an A-2 jacket

mulceber

It's quite the mish-mash of a jacket.

Yep, and that's kind of a natural long-term result of WW2 - after the war, the US population thought military flight jackets looked cool (because they are, but also) because they'd been bombarded with propaganda posters and films for half a decade or more. Meanwhile, the jacket manufacturers had all gotten a lot of experience making flight jackets, so they started producing a LOT of jackets for the civilian population that were basically mish-mashes of the designs they'd been producing during the war. 3-4 decades of evolving jacket design later, you have Charlie Sheen's jacket.

Micawber

Overthinking is right, it's quite possible to disappear up your own exhaust pipe trying to find what could be a fantasy jacket worn by a fictional character in a film from a few years ago.
There are places out there who will knock up copies of garments if you can supply enough visual reference material. If an exact match is essential that could be an option.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Dart
Now that we’ve pretty much solved the puzzle of what this jacket is or rather what this jacket isn’t , I was wondering what motivated you to admire this jacket to the point of wanting to find one and hopefully acquire one ? There doesn’t seem to be anything that is particularly noteworthy about this Hollywood look alike jacket compared to a more accurately made WWII period A2 jacket . I totally understand that sometimes you just want what you want , I get that , but just wondering what you find pleasing or interesting about this particular design ?

caddyd

It reminds me of that A-2 variant that Jack Nickelson wore while he was caged in the cuckoo's nest.

Attachments

• One-Flew-Over-McMurphy-Jacket-500x500.jpg
    One-Flew-Over-McMurphy-Jacket-500x500.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 77
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 76

B-Man2

It reminds me of that A-2 variant that Jack Nickelson wore while he was caged in the cuckoo's nest.
This one is by far more interesting and cool looking but I understand that’s just my opinion, and that everyone has their own likes and dislikes . I guess that’s why the old Howard Johnson’s Restaurants had 28 flavors of ice cream ..,,,,,. ( now that’s going back a ways ) ;)

B-Man2

Damn
ZuZu just posted a photo in another thread about a cartoon character who wore a flight jacket and he found the jacket to be this one
IMG_0683.jpeg

It’s looks close enough to the cuckoo nest jacket posted above .

Dart

Dart
Now that we’ve pretty much solved the puzzle of what this jacket is or rather what this jacket isn’t , I was wondering what motivated you to admire this jacket to the point of wanting to find one and hopefully acquire one ? There doesn’t seem to be anything that is particularly noteworthy about this Hollywood look alike jacket compared to a more accurately made WWII period A2 jacket . I totally understand that sometimes you just want what you want , I get that , but just wondering what you find pleasing or interesting about this particular design ?
I've always loved jackets that looked nicely broken in but not beat up. I also liked that it wasn't like the Top Gun G-1 as I'm not a fan of wooly collars. I dig how the pockets and storm flap don't have visible snaps or buttons when closed, but the leather is such that you can kinda still see them, I like that it's not a modern look but has some nostalgia to it... Honestly, I don't have a very "mature palate" when it comes to cool leather jackets as I really haven't owned many. I'm also a big fan of patches and the stories behind them, so that's part of the draw for this particular jacket and I also like recreating movie props.

B-Man2

I've always loved jackets that looked nicely broken in but not beat up. I also liked that it wasn't like the Top Gun G-1 as I'm not a fan of wooly collars. I dig how the pockets and storm flap don't have visible snaps or buttons when closed, but the leather is such that you can kinda still see them, I like that it's not a modern look but has some nostalgia to it... Honestly, I don't have a very "mature palate" when it comes to cool leather jackets as I really haven't owned many. I'm also a big fan of patches and the stories behind them, so that's part of the draw for this particular jacket and I also like recreating movie props.
Nicely stated !