• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here with a question about an A-2 jacket

Dart

Hi folks! I'm new here and it's really great to see all the discussion on these great old leather jackets.

That all said, I have a question for the braintrust here. I'm looking for a particular A-2 jacket but I'm having some trouble finding it anywhere. I'm trying to recreate the patch jacket Charlie Sheen wore in Hot Shots! but I'm not finding much luck. Here's a photo of Charlie and his stunt double, Eddie Braun, wearing their jackets. Please note the seam going down the front of the arm, that's what I'm having trouble finding on all the A-2's that I've looked at. My research tells me that's indicative of an inset seam (?), but I've only been able to find G-1 jackets with that so far.
hot-shots-eddie-braun.png

Anyway, I hope y'all might be willing to join me on this quest to find "the" jacket. I've looked at so many A-2 manufacturers but, yeah, no luck.

I've also got a couple of flight jackets, both the same pattern but one's a real Canadian intermediate flight jacket (Type III) and the other is a lighter weight replica of it. Both are blue. Love their style.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I’m not seeing a seam going down the front of the arm. I see what I think is a fold but to answer your question .. A2’s don’t usually have a seem going down the front of the arm so this may just be a “Made for Hollywood “ A2 jacket or as I said a fold in the sleeve leather . Maybe you could edit the photo or zoom in on the area you’re referring to .
At any rate Welcome to the VLJ forum!

Dart

Thanks! Here's a closer shot. The seam is within the red oval...
seamshot.png

As for it being a "Hollywood Jacket", you might be right, but they would've had to have taken a G-1, and changed the collar, pockets, and storm flap with an A-2. That's why I believe this is some variant of an A-2, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

If this helps any, the movie was likely filmed in 1990, so what might've existed 33 years ago?

B-Man2

Ok I see what you’re referring to . That doesn’t look like a seam but rather a fold in the leather that might occur as a result of a jacket that runs big on the wearer. I can assure you that you will never find a seam like that on an original or a decent repro of an A2 jacket. Others will offer their opinions on this topic but I assure you there is no seam like that on a normal A2 .

Pa12

Hi folks! I'm new here and it's really great to see all the discussion on these great old leather jackets.

That all said, I have a question for the braintrust here. I'm looking for a particular A-2 jacket but I'm having some trouble finding it anywhere. I'm trying to recreate the patch jacket Charlie Sheen wore in Hot Shots! but I'm not finding much luck. Here's a photo of Charlie and his stunt double, Eddie Braun, wearing their jackets. Please note the seam going down the front of the arm, that's what I'm having trouble finding on all the A-2's that I've looked at. My research tells me that's indicative of an inset seam (?), but I've only been able to find G-1 jackets with that so far.
View attachment 108275

Anyway, I hope y'all might be willing to join me on this quest to find "the" jacket. I've looked at so many A-2 manufacturers but, yeah, no luck.

I've also got a couple of flight jackets, both the same pattern but one's a real Canadian intermediate flight jacket (Type III) and the other is a lighter weight replica of it. Both are blue. Love their style.
Welcome. I have CAF jacket as well. I believe it’s from the late 90’s. Never seem to wear it for some reason. And I’m sure that’s a studio supplied jacket. Doesn’t look authentic to me.

Pa12

Ok I see what you’re referring to . That doesn’t look like a seam but rather a fold in the leather that might occur as a result of a jacket that runs big on the wearer. I can assure you that you will never find a seam like that on an original or a decent repro of an A2 jacket. Others will offer their opinions on this topic but I assure you there is no seam like that on a normal A2 .
Your right. That’s a fold.

Dart

Welcome. I have CAF jacket as well. I believe it’s from the late 90’s. Never seem to wear it for some reason. And I’m sure that’s a studio supplied jacket. Doesn’t look authentic to me.

I quite enjoy it. Mine's dated September 1994. The repro is from Red Canoe. Nice copy, fits more like a regular jacket.

Pa12

I quite enjoy it. Mine's dated September 1994. The repro is from Red Canoe. Nice copy, fits more like a regular jacket.
I’m not sure how to date mine. I’ll have to dig it out and have a look at the label. I believe it was made in Montreal

Dart

I hear what you folks are saying, but it has to be a seam. Here's another shot of the jacket and you can see the stitches and how it's mirrored on both sides. I apologize if I come across as argumentative, I'm just a nit-picker, ha! And if this turns out to be some other jacket, one that is maybe based on an A-2 but not an actual A-2, then that's good info to have as well. I guess I gravitate to calling it an A-2 because it has all the same features.

topperjacket1.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

I hear what you folks are saying, but it has to be a seam. Here's another shot of the jacket and you can see the stitches and how it's mirrored on both sides. I apologize if I come across as argumentative, I'm just a nit-picker, ha! And if this turns out to be some other jacket, one that is maybe based on an A-2 but not an actual A-2, then that's good info to have as well. I guess I gravitate to calling it an A-2 because it has all the same features.

View attachment 108301
Ok that is
1 . Most definitely a seam …. And
2. Most definitely Not a normal A2 jacket .
Probably a custom made Hollywood interpretation of one .
That most definitely looks like an arm gusset seam . Or expansion seam joint

Last edited:

Pa12

View attachment 108301
That one certainly is a seam. Must be some sort of hybrid made for the costume department. I’m no expert, but I’m confident enough to know that’s not an authentic a-2. You could go on the Goodwear website and check the pictures of all the different contracts. But I don’t think you’ll find anything like that. Why don’t up Charlie and get a good one;)

Chandler

View attachment 108301
I think you're just proving that this jacket isn't an authentic A-2 by any stretch.

Dart

Ok that is
1 . Most definitely a seam …. And
2. Most definitely Not a normal A2 jacket .
Probably a custom made Hollywood interpretation of one .
All good points, thanks!
That one certainly is a seam. Must be some sort of hybrid made for the costume department. I’m no expert, but I’m confident enough to know that’s not an authentic a-2. You could go on the Goodwear website and check the pictures of all the different contracts. But I don’t think you’ll find anything like that. Why don’t up Charlie and get a good one;)
Believe me, if I wasn't trying to recreate this jacket and all the patches (most of which I have), I'd be all over getting a nice quality jacket. Thanks for the suggestion; I've already been over that site and sadly, none are built like this one.

I think you're just proving that this jacket isn't an authentic A-2 by any stretch.
I have a strong suspicion you're right about that, ha! I guess it just bugs me because I have friends in various parts of the movie business and I know that they usually prefer to just buy instead of build something like a jacket, unless the design is extremely specific.

So I guess I'm looking for a A-2-ish jacket. I appreciate the comments. Many thanks! Anyone else reading this is more than welcome to continue as I'm always open to ideas and suggestions.

Pa12

All good points, thanks!

Believe me, if I wasn't trying to recreate this jacket and all the patches (most of which I have), I'd be all over getting a nice quality jacket. Thanks for the suggestion; I've already been over that site and sadly, none are built like this one.

I have a strong suspicion you're right about that, ha! I guess it just bugs me because I have friends in various parts of the movie business and I know that they usually prefer to just buy instead of build something like a jacket, unless the design is extremely specific.

So I guess I'm looking for a A-2-ish jacket. I appreciate the comments. Many thanks! Anyone else reading this is more than welcome to continue as I'm always open to ideas and suggestions.
If it wasn’t made for the movie then I’m guessing it’s a “mall jacket” . Keep your eye on eBay and you might find one.

Micawber

I'm on my phone so screen size is limited but zoomed in I believe I see a corresponding crease or seam in the right arm of Sheen's jacket. Given these could be jackets got from anywhere or made by a costume department or house, to my 3:30am sleep deprived insomnia addled brain both features look more like large underarm gusset type features than anything.