• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Good Wear A-2 1936 Werber Contract 10-23-12

kiltie

TOMG1401 said:
John's jackets are the Holy Grail, I think we all agree, the '36 Werber is amazing.But was Waldes an original supplier of these type zipps ? I recall when ELC introduced the 33" Werber with the same zipp stamped Hookless, which was legit, they were ripped apart by the experts as having royally screwed up by the zipps not being stamped Talon. So is Waldes legit or just gets another free pass because nothing negative will be tolerated regarding GW, just think about it

From the Good Wear site, regarding the '39 Werber:

Zippers in A-2 jackets from 1931 to 1939 were made with a metal base frame, and then rivets in the leather that stabilized the zipper end. We have an excellent copy of a 1939 Talon, though our zipper has the name Waldes, as Talon is a currently owned brand in the USA. Some jackets from Werber's 1939 contract had the newer Talon zipper with the sunburst stopper and a slider with a full circle hole puller. We choose the earlier model zipper for our 1939 Werber.

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/a2_39werber.html

Falcon_52

Regarding the zips: I believe Eastman owns the Hookless zipper trademark and Waldes is one of the few zippers on the planet that has the correct construction for these early jackets. I'm not sure if Eastman sells the Hookless zips outright, which may be why John went with Waldes.

I'm purely speculating here...

Noel