• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New ELC .50 Cal B-3?

John Lever

I called them this morning. Nigel tells me there will be a few jackets at normal prices. The 50 Cal. B-3 is £45 more than the standard version though. The leather and outer coating of the sheepskin is distressed to give the 'time worn' look. Apparently this has always been an option... News to me.
The new Irvin sounds like it might be very, very good. It has long crimped fleece,with a distressed outer and comes from the same tannery that supplies HM The Queen with horse sheep skins.

John Lever

Andrew said:
Same old Zips On the Irvin or hopefully something better?
Don't know about that. BUT, I have 40 sq. ft. of the old Merino type skins they used to use in my wardrobe....with hopefully 100's more to come. Crimped Australian [ the best]Merino cross/mule type with a slight lustre and a shiny very soft outer leather.
Same as Eastman used to use 15 years ago.

Roughwear

The zips are the usual Lightning style ones. I spoke to Gary about the zips and he has no plans to change them. I asked about Dot zips, but he told me this is still a current trademark so there is no chance of ELC making Dot zips. I guess one could install original Dots, Lightnings or Flash Fastener zips one one of these new Irvins, but it might just be cheaper to buy a decent original! :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
.... and comes from the same tannery that supplies HM The Queen with horse sheep skins.

horseSheepCostume.jpg

rich

[quote/]
I have 40 sq. ft. of the old Merino type skins they used to use in my wardrobe....with hopefully 100's more to come.
[/quote]

Not a sentence you read every day! What are you planning John?

John Lever

rich said:
[quote/]
I have 40 sq. ft. of the old Merino type skins they used to use in my wardrobe....with hopefully 100's more to come.

Not a sentence you read every day! What are you planning John?[/quote]
I had the tannery do these for me. They are not exactly as I had hoped from the 15 year old sample, but are very close. I really like the curly shiny wool and soft outer coating, but need more character and less shine on the acrylic. These are UK domestic skins, the originals were Australian with slightly more lustre, crimp and rib. Australian skins are from older less managed stock and have scars and seed marks in the leather, they also tend to be more wrinkly [ ribbed] in appearance. There should be some better skins coming along soon so then I can send them up to Aero and have a jacket made. The last batch of Australian hides were somehow spoiled when they were removed from the container so there has been a delay.
I am also having an Anj-4 made from 20 year old Real McCoys Japan skins that were rejected at the time because they were too stiff. I had them tumbled for 4 hours at the tannery so now they are quite soft, but have not lost any character. They have the look of Lost Worlds but the feel of Eastman.

stika

Hi there...

Anybody who have seen this new .50 Cal B-3 yet? Any pics of this jacket?

Hello to all here from Denmark :)

rich

John, how will Aero create an authentic jacket, based on the cut of their existing Irvin? Are they prepared to revamp the pattern
for fussy buggers like us? It introduces a lot of interesting possibilities......

John Lever

rich said:
John, how will Aero create an authentic jacket, based on the cut of their existing Irvin? Are they prepared to revamp the pattern
for fussy buggers like us? It introduces a lot of interesting possibilities......
They have a better shape for the arms, and a better skin. Other factors like the zip [AM] will probably stay the same.

rich

They have a better shape for the arms, and a better skin. Other factors like the zip [AM] will probably stay the same.

Be very very interesting to see what they come up with.........

Roughwear

It does look as if its seen some service with all the leather straps and shearling nicely broken in. The label though still looks pristine. ;) Now I wonder when Gary will upload pictures of his time worn late War Irvin?

Falcon_52

It's interesting that the text for the .50 Cal B-3 states that it is "veg-tanned" and the two-panel back. I'm not a big fan of the time-worn jackets but this one looks alright!

Noel

havocpaul

That does look the business! Love the vintage look, I might be very tempted this winter but still want to see the 'new' Irvin.

John Lever

Falcon_52 said:
It's interesting that the text for the .50 Cal B-3 states that it is "veg-tanned" and the two-panel back. I'm not a big fan of the time-worn jackets but this one looks alright!

Noel
Noel,
It was the veg tanned issue which got me. I would quite like to just have it veg. tanned without the distressing, but I know they will not move on custom work at all. My tannery does veg. tanned sheepskin so I can have one made by Aero no problem.
I can tell that it has been abraded by either very fine paper or Scotchbrite, to give a break up of the surface. Worn leather looks more polished in it's wear, but it's still an attractive look. Just so long as the stitching has not been damaged.
This has been mentioned before, but this look may not be everyone's cup of tea, and they could actually lose customers if this is the only version available.

Falcon_52

John Lever said:
I can tell that it has been abraded by either very fine paper or Scotchbrite, to give a break up of the surface. Worn leather looks more polished in it's wear, but it's still an attractive look.

Yes, I was thinking about that as well. It does look a tad on the dryed out side. I wonder if some shine could be brought back by applying a very, very light coating of Pecards leather dressing and then rubbing with a terry cloth to shine it up to give it a more "natural" wear look to it? Just a thought...

Noel

Roughwear

By way of comparison here is a RW B-3 from 1942 which I used to own. It has seen some action, but does not resemble the new 50 Cal finish. Maybe the RW didn't see 50 missions! :)
002-4.jpg

004-7.jpg

John Lever

I think it's a kind of look that we expect to see rather than the reality of a real original. Similar to stone washed jeans compared to real old Levis worn and washed over the years.
Having said that, I still like the look and I would like to see one in the flesh.
Noel, I think any fat based application would just darken the outer coating. A shine like the one produced by furniture polish might be better.