• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Aero Irvin compared with an original

soshe

Some pics from another site.

The latest Irvin from Aero, alongside an original that Aero own.

Looks excellent to me :D

I am sure there are those on here who know better - but hey! :roll:

xa9g.jpg

foster

I realize the repro is a larger size than the original, but does anyone else think the collar on the repro looks almost too large in comparison?

Roughwear

Collars on originals varied in size. This one's collar is certainly large. What do people think of the almost orange shiny finish to the smooth skin side of the sheepskin?

soshe

foster said:
I expect the coloration to look more like...........

Patience, my friend.

Colouration on a new hide garment NEVER looks like that of a 70 year old one.

Perhaps it would be a little foolish to expect it to do so :D

foster

soshe said:
Patience, my friend.

Very true, I agree! This is my shortcoming, as I have not had the ability to examine original Irvins for an impartial academic comparison. In fact I only started noticing Irvin jackets with genuine curiosity in the last week or two, so they are still a new subject of interest of mine. Without a baseline of originals for comparison, I tend to compare replicas to other replicas - and that is never an intellectually honest method of discerning authenticity.

Roughwear

soshe said:
foster said:
I expect the coloration to look more like...........

Patience, my friend.

This can be the case, but not always. I own near mint original A2s over 70 years old that have retained their original colour and GW have sourced hides which are a perfect match. Eastman and Aces High have managed to produce Irvins that match the colour of originals extremely well. I have handled hundreds of original Irvins but have never seen one with such an orange shade.

sloan1874

As the soon-to-be owner of this Irvin, I'm cock-a-hoop about it. Ken and Bertie, both of whom have who patiently worked through the details with me on this jacket, have done a sterling job on this jacket, I couldn't ask for more from them. Dying to get it on and start getting some wear out of it. And having seen Aero's hides close up in the past, it's a beautiful subtle chestnut shade, just as Andrew has noted in the past. I don't often cross-quote people, but back in April he said this back in on the FL: "This jacket is a great improvement on previous Aero "Irvin" style jackets. The chestnut colour of the skin is exactly the same as some originals."
What can I say, cameras are cameras and they can be misleading in their colour balance, but it's a fantastic looking jacket and a fresh take on the Irvin - anything that brings something to the party in terms of choice for fans, while adding to the accuracy that's becoming the standard, has to be welcomed, no?

sloan1874

Just for 'emphasis' here's a construction pic that gives a 'truer' sense of the hide colour.

Btw, the original Irvin is quite a bit darker than it appears in the pictures. Flash bulbs, eh?

ButteMT61

Well of course pictures are not always accurate - or more to the point, when it comes to jackets, they seem seldom on the mark. I'd think folks here would know that by now. Looks pretty killer to me. Don't know much about the jackets and how 'correct' it is, but surely it's a beautiful jacket and I look forward to more pics.

Roughwear

I'm glad the colour is just a trick of the light. Looking forward to seeing some wearing pics in due course.

A

Anonymous

This Irvin repro looks nice and I especially like the color of the hair

sloan1874

Picked up my Irvin today, completely delighted with it. Here's a wee pic of it sitting with some of it's cousins in Aero's factory showroom. Understand that the two on the left will be up for sale sometime soon. The lower left one is interesting in that it has a very shaggy internal fleece.

MikeyB-17

That's a heck of a different colour to the previous pics. Very close to the one above it. Looks good, enjoy.