• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New A-2, what to do

stanier

So here I am on another Saturday pondering what to do about my next A-2 and I thought I’d share my conundrum. Very happy to hear any other positive thoughts or suggestions.

To start, I now only have one A-2, my ELC Star which I am really happy with and is now starting to get a lot of wear.

But I’ve been thinking for sometime of at least another couple of A-2’s, one to have painted and one to keep plain. That doesn’t mean I can get them all now, but it’s my plan over time. But it is something to factor in.

Anyway right now (and for sometime) I’d really like horsehide really mixed smooth(ish) and grainy, Crown zippered (really want a Crown zip) Dubow with purply knits heading my way. I think I’m flexible on whether it’s seal or russet. However this feels not an easy ask. It seems to me that ELC are best positioned to provide, but they don’t. So, my options feel like they are:

1/. Order a Platon Dubow and forget the Crown, or try and source a Crown and send it to be fitted by Platon’s company. But then would I be really happy with this ultimately?

2/. Order a BK Victory horse Dubow and source a Crown as option 1., but assuming BK are doing Victory, again, would I be happy with this ultimately?

3/. Wait for ELC to release their Dubow unpainted and forget the Crown. But I’m not sure I could forget the Crown!

4/. Go for the Crown and forget Dubow and order an ELC RW 1401P. But I’m not sure I would forget Dubow, though I might be very happy with 1401! Though I’m not sure about RW collars.

5/. Go a different direction again and talk to Aero about what they could do for me. I just might do this one anyway.

6/. Get an original,. Now this is a new option for me as I’m not really a fan of the thought of 70 or 80 year old jackets and my (quite possibly only my perception) hygiene problems of funny smells etc. However I’ve seen a couple of originals that have been relined with new knits and labels. And cleaned and / or refurbished zips and fasteners that look sweet. The finish didn’t look 70 plus years old per se but was very nice so maybe that’s answer, but what I want is maybe a tough find in my size 40ish depending on final measurements.

7/. Bite the bullet and order 2 or 3 jackets (back to my long term want list) from Goodwear and get in the queue. I love John’s Work but not the 2 year wait! 2 years of excitement wishing my life away and would it be 2 years or more? and I’d be 55 by then, I don’t want to think of it! But I’d almost certainly be very happy with the jackets eventually.

8/. Look for a used Goodwear, I’m kind of doing this anyway, but my pereception is that a Crown zippered Dubow in size 40 (or possibly 42 depending on measurements) is an unlikely find.

9/. Look to Japan and see what I can find, but again would I be happy ultimately?

10/. Do nothing and just see what time brings? This is what I am doing by default, and I’m not happy with this choice now:confused:

So gents, what to do? Is there another option that give me what I’m looking for reasonably quickly?

Cheers

Chris

2BM2K

On the basis that a Crown zipper is the driving force then options would be;

Find an original dubow, should be possible but may have to wait.

Aero advertise a Crown zipper for their Bronco but I don't know if these are still available.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=93

ELC might make a Dubow 27798 with a Crown. May have to wait, could try contacting Eastman to see if they are planning to do this.

Could try an ELC 50cal A2;
https://www.eastmanleather.com/type-50cal-p-187.html

stanier

On the basis that a Crown zipper is the driving force then options would be;

Find an original dubow, should be possible but may have to wait.

Aero advertise a Crown zipper for their Bronco but I don't know if these are still available.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=93

ELC might make a Dubow 27798 with a Crown. May have to wait, could try contacting Eastman to see if they are planning to do this.

Could try an ELC 50cal A2;
https://www.eastmanleather.com/type-50cal-p-187.html

You may have something here 2BM2K

stanier

So may I ask what's so special about Crown zippers?

Purely my personal preference Nahua, that and just about every other A-2 I’ve owned has had a Talon, repro or original and I want a change. The thread isn’t meant to be a comparison of the different zip types and their pros and cons. Purely my preference and I want a Crown.

Smithy

The secondhand market is pretty strong right now so you could keep an eye on here (or post a WTB) and on eBay, ELC's classifieds, etc.

If you're after a new GW then you've got the luxury of waiting, you can drop your deposit down now and then when your place comes up you can go for whatever you haven't picked up in the meantime.

Then there's obviously the Aero, BK and ELC options where you won't have to wait as long.

Lots of nice options to mull over.

Officer Dibley

My bog standard ELC warhorse has grain & plain bits and a Crown zipper. I love it.
But as i'm not the original purchaser, i can't tell you if the crown was an extra or not.
Ring or email Rob at ELC. He's an ace guy. So helpful. Being a larger company, they tend to have enough personnel to get back quickly.

IMG_9654.JPG
IMG_9663.JPG
IMG_9655.JPG
IMG_9656.JPG
IMG_9658.JPG

stanier

One of the best ELC house A-2’s I’ve seen. Very very nice.

However and sorry to be awkward, and without wishing to be a jacket snob:confused: but these days I’m only interested in original contract jackets.

B-Man2

Stanier:
Well this is one of the more pleasant dilemma ‘s that you will face over the course of your lifetime.;). Having had a number of unpleasant dilemma’s over the course of my lifetime let me suggest the following .
1. friends are everything. Use them. Starting today ask all of us here if we would be so kind as to keep an eye out for a used ELC with a crown zipper. In a size 40????

2. Take some time to think about this issue because what you want will change over a period of time.

3.Narrow your options . You have to many to consider. Cut them down to 2 or 3 “ must have” scenarios . Then go with those.

4. Go with a less expense A2 if your going to paint it., and make sure you absolutely love what you’re going to paint on the jacket , because you’re going to own that jacket for a long time.

5. Lastly, people like me . will come at you with all sorts of advise on what you should do.......... ignore them all because they probably know a hell of a lot less than you do on the subject;)

CBI

Just wear the one you have, it will get even better with age and you will eventually have EXACTLY what you want and be so happy you saved all that money!!!! Maybe consider something in a year or two. Really, less is more even though that is rarely practiced on collector/enthusiast forums!!!!!

I wish I had followed this (my own wise advice) years ago!!!

Last edited:

stanier

Wise words B-man2 and I’m very happy to have this conundrum in amongst all the other conundrums of my life, believe me...

And btw, if anyone does know of a Crown zippered A-2, size 40 then please for let me know! I’d appreciate it very much!

Hopefully I can provide some entertainment sharing my journey, at best, and be a happy lesson at worst!

Cheers all, Chris

MikeyB-17

Always loved the look of Crowns, never owned a jacket that had one, but I have seen several comments about them being temperamental, delicate and not particularly smooth in operation. Of course, no doubt there are many who will refute this.

SuinBruin

I have a NOS Crown on my 2010 GW Bronco. It definitely adds something to the jacket and I haven't had any problems with it so far. (Fingers crossed.)

Pilot

Always loved the look of Crowns, never owned a jacket that had one, but I have seen several comments about them being temperamental, delicate and not particularly smooth in operation. Of course, no doubt there are many who will refute this.
Agree, one of my ELC B-3 had issues with the crown zipper....mismatching teeth...
Agree with all, they give a special note to the jacket.

Members online

Latest posts